Carb/ accelerator linkage mystery (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

soooo
clearly something is up with the carb.

I'd contact Mudrak if you don't feel up to dismantling it and trying to figure it out.

which can quickly turn into a :worms:

Compare all of the carb linkage to the pictures on the SOR web site. It is easy to get the link rods in upside down or backwards and that might make it stick. That is why you only remove one end of the linkage when you rebuild a carb so it can only go back the same way it came apart.

OS, yes, I fear the can of worms. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Pin_head, thanks for the reply. I have been very careful with the detaching/reassembly of the linkage, photographing it along the way, etc. The SOR pics are helpful as well. So I feel pretty confident that it's in correctly. The horizontal torque rod is definitely in the right orientation. Plus, with the accelerator linkage completely detached I still get the problem.

It's just a weird one. Seems like everything that ever happens to these Aisin carbs has happened on Mud at some point. But I can't find anyone with this specifically. It does seem mechanical rather than vacuum related.

I'm not talking about the accelerator linkage; I was referring to the linkage on the carb for all the stuff like the throttle positioner, choke breaker, mechanical secondary, high idle. There is a lot of stuff there that can bind up and you have localized the problem to the carb itself.

Right. There is a lot going on, on the firewall side of the carb.

I think the next step should be to take a better look at:

accelerator pump connecting link (where it connects to the throttle shaft)
primary throttle arm

The FSM shows a throttle positioner screw on some carbs... am I correct that we do not have this on USA carbs?

Thanks Bear Lake for the info. But did you lengthen or shorten vertical rod 78104?

Spike, thanks for that - the HZ rod is definitely installed in the right orientation.

We all hope for JimC to reply to carb threads I think... with a two-word answer that solves all problems. In the meantime I did find an old "sticky linkage" thread where he observed that the return springs in the assembly don't really wear out, in his experience. Reflects what Bear Lake says above. Hard to tell with these little springs.
I am looking for this part 78104 do you know a source? thanks bill mc

I am looking for this part 78104 do you know a source? thanks bill mc

Back when this was going on I looked into replacing all the linkage but the rods and most other parts here have been discontinued.

I would try cruiserparts, classifieds here (parting out) - maybe post a WANTED thread there?

Cruiseryard has used parts and Cruiser Brothers / Valley Hybrids also have used parts, but I think in both cases you'd want to contact them directly since a lot of what they have is not inventoried online.

Are you trying to solve the problem described here, or are you just looking for that part?

If you are trying to solve the "sticking throttle/accelerator" mystery described here, I will say this - changing that rod's length did not help me in the long run. Whatever is happening seems to go away in bad times and then reappear when everything else is feeling sorted out. Better than the reverse I think.

Back when this was going on I looked into replacing all the linkage but the rods and most other parts here have been discontinued.

I would try cruiserparts, classifieds here (parting out) - maybe post a WANTED thread there?

Cruiseryard has used parts and Cruiser Brothers / Valley Hybrids also have used parts, but I think in both cases you'd want to contact them directly since a lot of what they have is not inventoried online.

Are you trying to solve the problem described here, or are you just looking for that part?

If you are trying to solve the "sticking throttle/accelerator" mystery described here, I will say this - changing that rod's length did not help me in the long run. Whatever is happening seems to go away in bad times and then reappear when everything else is feeling sorted out. Better than the reverse I think.
I found the part thanks, no sticking problem, part fell off while running.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom