Capt '99 LC - Custom bumper, sliders - build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I figured it make sense to document the progression of this build as it transforms to something more akin to my tastes. :)

I apologize, but I probably should've snapped some pics along the way when I fist took delivery of this LC about 6 months ago but I assume we all know what a black stock 99 LC looks like. The pics here take into consideration all the mods through Stage 6.

**Install for the lift and headers were done by my 100% honest Toyota indy shop (Ishii Motor Industries), along with general maintenance items**http://www.141motors.com/

Stage 1
First mod in the first 2 hrs of ownership were 33" BFG AT's (285 series). Then came the closest tint match for the front windows.

Stage 2
Then reading some valuable posts here, I scotch padded the side molding, and sprayed it Duplicolor Toyota black....although I think I'll redo with Trim Black here soon. First time ever tackling a painting project for any of the vehicles I've had.

Stage 3
I had a FlowMaster 80 series muffler installed through my local exhaust shop (Muffler King) and resonator also deleted.... I figured I needed to let others enjoy the sound of the 4.7 v8 under the hood. http://www.mufflerkingperformance.com/

Stage 4
Then came the powerd'ing of the factory 16's with 20% gloss (matte black essentially) by a local powercoater here in Seattle...they did terrific work! http://seattlepowdercoat.com/

Stage 5
I ordered/installed a set of Doug Thorley headers since my o2 sensors (pre-CAT) went out and my exhaust manifold sounded tingy/raspy a bit. The headers definitely rounded out the FlowMaster set-up I already had.....great addition all around.

Stage 6
Again, through researching great posts here I decided on the Slee 1.5" medium lift kit. That install just wrapped about 2 weeks ago, so still getting used to the change in ride...which is all thumbs up at this point. I work in DT Seattle and the LC is my dd, so I needed to stay under 78" to fit in my parking garage. I sit roughly about 76.5" right now, with the highest point at the middle of the factory rack.

Stage 7 & 8
I picked up the Rigid Industries 20" LED bar early on, as I knew I wanted to incorporate it onto a bumper down the road soon. I searched/comtemplated against ARB bumpers (03+ combo bar), Slee Blueberry, BIOR, etc....with the Blueberry being my preference. However, I decided that I wanted to separate myself from the pack a bit and looked into a custom bar set-up.

Wa-la....I was referred to a great local metal fab shop (JA Custom Works; http://jacustomworks.net/) by a close friend....and so began the path I'm at today.

The plan to build a bumper styled after this Air2Air FJ + integrate the LED bar. Going for a matte black finish as well.

Additionally, since the LC was going to be in the hands of JA, I decided to also have him fab up some custom sliders.

Pics to follow as this build progresses, but here's the LC in it's current state....hope to have more pics along the way!
side shot.JPG
air2air_pic 1.jpg
air2air_pic 2.jpg

Last edited:
weird - I'm trying to post more pics....but getting an error message that I've exceeded my attachments quota....????

Sounds like you are off to a good start! Congrats on the purchase.

Did you pull the wheels and remove tires or did the powder coater do it?

I took the LC to Discount Tire, and they dismounted/separated the wheels from the tires so I could bring them to the powder coater bare. I found a local guy with 20" Tundra wheels/tires he wasn't using, rented them for $50 for about 1.5 wks while I waited for the LC wheels to get power'd.

I used Seattle Powdercoat; http://seattlepowdercoat.com/

Last edited:
Nice budget... Errr, I mean nice LC!
Be sure to take some good pic's after all the fab work.
Tip: try to take your photos while it's overcast and not too bright. I think you get those type of days once in a while in Seattle. ;) The idea is to try and get good contrast and shadow so we don't see a black blob. It's going to be a challenge with black on black.

Nice budget... Errr, I mean nice LC!
Be sure to take some good pic's after all the fab work.
Tip: try to take your photos while it's overcast and not too bright. I think you get those type of days once in a while in Seattle. ;) The idea is to try and get good contrast and shadow so we don't see a black blob. It's going to be a challenge with black on black.

yep, no problem....although for the past 3-4 weeks we've been in the high 70's to low 90's.....so grey overcast shots will have to come in a month or so. ;)

I'll get some good shots when it's all wrapped up though.

further progress on the bumper....bull bar welded in and LED bar positioned for eventual placement.
photo.jpg
bull bar side shot.jpg
light bar.jpg

So far, nice lines. I like the stinger too. Are you going to do any plate at all or is it going to be all tube.
Or is it "Wait and See".

Also, are you working off drawings or kind of doing this on the fly.

So far, nice lines. I like the stinger too. Are you going to do any plate at all or is it going to be all tube.
Or is it "Wait and See".

Also, are you working off drawings or kind of doing this on the fly.

Yes, there will be a skid plate integrated into the center section under the main bar. We haven't finalized everything, but we'll likley use more plate as well along the top of bumper (as you look down from the bull bar).

The referenced design I communicated to JA were images of the Air2Air FJ (in my 1st post). He's working off that to build this bumper....so far, I've been very pleased!:D

Last edited:
do you plan on having a winch mount? If you're shop can fab up a template, there is probably a market for a tube bumper for the 100. It would be the only one offered in the states.

Interesting.

yup, this build deserves a winch...

do you plan on having a winch mount? If you're shop can fab up a template, there is probably a market for a tube bumper for the 100. It would be the only one offered in the states.

I thought about it, but I've never run into an occasion nor do I trail hard enough to really need a winch. I'm sure modding the bumper to accept a winch isn't too tough though....I suppose adding an opening for the winch cable within the skid plate and physically having the winch sit against that main support beam is an option.

Funny you mention the "no other tubular 100 series" bumper options on the market. When I first proposed this project to JA I told him that this endeavor could possibly open the flood gates to requests for the same config'd bumper from a community of LC/LX owners.

Once this build gets close to wrapping up, I'll ask him his thoughts/desire to knock out more of these bumpers. He is a one man shop, and I know he enjoys a variety of metal fab projects.

Are there really many 100 series folks interested in this type of bumper?

Last edited:
I wanted to do something VERY similar to that a year or so ago. However I found a ARB bumper on local CL for $450 and couldn't pass it up.

Where in Seattle are you located? Who/what is JA, local shop?

We need a 100 meet in this area one day!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom