Can't seem to remove rear shocks! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not to self, when taking LC to buddies with lift to install shocks bring along a torch and saw zall just in case! :D

-Used 7/8" (22mm) OFFSET box wrench to remove top shock bolt. the shock wont spin because of a tab on the lower bushing plate... so just keep wrenching little by little on this nut. This was easy but took time.

So which one of these is the best idea?

Offset ratchet wrench

68240_icon.jpg

Flex Head Gear Wrench

0,0,284,20568,590,295,5b2f3ad0.jpg

I don't mind buying a wrench just for this job, it's worth my sanity. I have a set of gear wrenches already, but they are not the swivel head design (standard flat).

It has been a year almost since this post. The best way was to use the pipe wrench. When you re-install use the pipe wrench with a rag around the shock. This will not scratch the shock if you take your time. And don't listen to the BS. I did it myself and it worked fine. Thanks for the advice!

It is worth every penny you are charged to take your LC somewhere and have it done.

unless your friends with the person you're paying to do it, they'll hate you even after you pay...and text you pictures expressing how much they hate your truck.

just remove the 2 bolt mounting bracket thats how we suspension people do it much less headache

The 105 might have the removable top mount plate like an 80? For regular 100's a 40mm body lift helps with access :D

I just did my rear suspension and I found a new trick: Support the rear axle, put a vice grip on the top nut, release the bottom of the shock first and slip a strap-type oil filter wrench on there with a long breaker bar and you can crank that shock as hard as you want. Worked good for me! :beer:

I drilled a hole inside the cabin right on top of the strut and hit it with a craftsman electric impact wrench. It broke off the bolt but it came out in 5 seconds.

If you live in the rust bowl, there is no way this is coming off with a box wrench, it's gotta break off or torqued off with a strong gun.

35689882091_f334181369_h.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom