Can I drill into the transmission hump... (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pighead

Stop calling it an FJ
Threads
...without hitting anything important?
New GF has a Toyota Mini pickup, tag on the door says 11/92. Got an auto tranny, aftermarket air on the 22RE. I've replaced a seat belt. I've changed the oil. I found the tranny dipstick.
Now, GF wants me to secure a plastic cupholder/console type thing to the top of the tranny hump. I was thinking I'd just run a couple sheetmetal screws through the plastic gizmo and through the tranny hump. BUT, I'd hate to hit anything important with the drill or screws...like a fuel line or a tranny line or a wire.
And I don't feel like crawling under it and feeling around. It's really close to the ground.
So, for my first post in this section, I'm asking if there's anything important and fragile where I want to drill?

You can drill in the hump, but before you do, you should check the area underneath the hump by crawling under the truck, to check for any lines wires etc that may be in harms way of a drill bit. Also determine how much space is available so you don't drill too deep.

If you don't crawl under to check now and drill, you may hit something and have to crawl under to do work replacing somthing. An ounce of prevention.......

Short answer: No, I don't think anything will be in the way.

Long answer: See above, and you should see how much room between trans and hump you have so you don't use too long of a screw.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but that's the right way to do it. :cheers: Welcome to the dark side!

Arrgh! You guys are no use...I'm looking for the clean, easy shortcut and all I get is "do it the right way". Shoot.

Just charge ahead blindly - I've heard an extra breather hole in the top of the transfer case helps keep the oil temps down :D

I think everyone else pretty much covered it - brake lines usually run down the frame rail, fuel lines are under the floor boards, wire harness is under the carpet

Last edited:
Nope. I actually got down & crawled under. Perfectly obvious that there is a s***load of room between the tranny and the hump, took a little sheetmetalscrew no prob.
"Welcome to the dark side"? shoot, my DD comes from the darkest depths of Mordor, would fit right in in a MadMax movie.
GF's pickup is a sunny picnic with fluffy bunnies, Unicorns and rainbows.

Corax, get it right!!

*You only charge blindly ahead if it's "humping the drill", not "drilling the hump".

:lol:

:D Yep, we home now..onto posting up again.

Just charge ahead blindly - I've heard an extra breather hole in the top of the transfer case helps keep the oil temps down :D

I think everyone else pretty much covered it - brake lines usually run down the frame rail, fuel lines are under the floor boards, wire harness is under the carpet

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom