Camshaft and lifters refurbishing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cps432

SILVER Star
Threads
I was going to buy a new set of lifters and matching camshaft for my engine rebuild. Went to pull the trigger today and the kit I was looking at is sold out. SOR has a kit that’s available, but it’s way out of my budget right now.

I’m considering having delta cam in Washington re-grind the lobes and lifter faces.

Has anybody used them before? Was it a good experience? Is the price right? Or should I take the hit and get the kit from SOR?

Also, what are your opinions on replacing the timing gear set? I’m installing a different crank shaft in this engine as my old one is shot. Before I tore everything down the gear lash was perfectly in spec and the gears don’t look to be in bad shape at all.

Thanks in advance!

I had a positive experience with Delta back in '09 or '10 (KC859 into warmed up 2FE). They've been the go-to on the forum for ages.

This recent thread is the only one I can think of that isn't positive:

Really helpful table from @ERNRAM with cam specs if you haven't seen it:

Last edited:
I had a positive experience with Delta back in '09 or '10 (KC859 into warmed up 2FE). They've been the go-to on the forum for ages.

This recent thread is the only one I can think of that isn't positive:

Really helpful table from @ERNRAM with cam specs if you haven't seen it:

Thank you! This is helpful. I’m starting to understand what these measurements mean. I’m guessing I’ll call Delta on Monday and have a chat. I’m not building anything but a stock 2F so I bet a mild grind is in order.

I’ve been reading a lot of horror stories about aftermarket cams and lifters over the last few years. Seems to be a debate on whether it’s related to poor metallurgy vs the lack of zinc content in modern oil because of new regulations. Either way, it seems that finding quality aftermarket cams and lifters is increasingly difficult, especially for flat tappet type applications. I think keeping the original parts is probably the best bet here. That and finding some good quality break in lube and oil seems to be key to a successful rebuild.

there is a guy here in Helena in the north valley that does crank work, not sure but I'm thinking he may also do cam work
he used to be the engine guy at Carquest when they used to have the machine shop in the store.
I don't recall his name right now, but 2 guys that have used his services.
might be abit but I can try and get a # for him.

Delta has always done right by me, on numerous projects, all of which were flat tappet solid lifter, or OHC Nissan L series. 👍

Lifters are available new OEM. Worthwhile to compare pricing vs resurfacing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom