Camper trailer input (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am seeking opinions and recommendations from those of you who have experience with camper trailers. I'll try and be brief (I'm usually not) but here is where I am at currently: confused. There's a ton of options out there and it seems like every week there's some new company advertising the newest "best" trailer out there.

A little back story:

The first draw I felt towards towing a trailer behind my vehicle was the first comparo Overland Journal made of adventure trailers. I was hooked by the idea of being able to drop everything and go wander off and come back without having to lug all the equipment around (i.e. weight).

At the time (probably 10 years ago) I wanted an AT Overland Horizon trailer.

Fast forward some years and like many here, the family has grown and as such, the needs have changed.

Now before I get ahead of myself I think I have narrowed down the requirements for a trailer based on those needs:

For starters the tow rig is an '06 100 Series.

- The trailer will be taken off-road. Nothing extreme, but from the several threads I've read it seems to eliminate anything with a Torsion bar axle) and it will need to have reasonable clearance as well.
- Must be able to accommodate 4 people (2 of which are kids for now)
- Goal loaded weight is around 3000 lbs.
- Looking for a small footprint, so less than 18 feet I think
- Must have kitchen (either slide out galley or interior)
- Prefer internal cassette toilet/ shower area but not opposed to external as well.

For reference the trailers I've gone through are:

1. TetonX Hybrid which at the moment is my favorite.
2. Taxa Mantis, I like the style. I have steered clear from them though as it seems they are made more for the hipster "overland" crowd and I'm not confident it will put up with abuse
3. Aliner Titanium which is growing on me but I know nothing about the company.

I'd like to know people experience with the company they chose as well. My neighbor just got a camper and already the thing has had all sorts of warranty issues and the company seems to be giving him the run-around on most of it.

I apologize for the long read.

I saw you posted on ExPo...and got varied opinions.

The only trailer I can think of is a R pod....I think with a little planning and handy work you could really turn one of those into something really special, and still have a bunch of cash eft for trips

Don't discount the torsion axles. Our TrailBlazer camp trailer has been all over Baja and down thru Mexico's Copper Canyon, as well as all over the Western US without trouble. The bias against torsion axles started when AT came out with their ITS. They claimed a catastrophic failure of a torsion trailer axle forced them to do so, yet there are no pictures of that failure, or any others that I know of. Yet people keep re-posting that same anti biased opinion without there being any evidence to support it.

I contend, based on a sample size of one, our trailer, that the key to a torsion axle working well off-road and living is that they must have shocks added to them. I've posted about this ad nauseum on Expo, search my user name and you'll find them.

My own coveted trailer is one of the fiberglass 17' "egg" trailers, i.e. a Casita etc. I suspect that some of their frames are not up to rough road service (Trillium's in particular seem to suffer from broken frames), but since I'd be buying used the idea of building a heavier duty replacement frame isn't unconsiderable.

I have had some pretty extensive experience with smaller trailers that I have bought,flipped and upgraded to keep getting a better trailer and I also have built a few camping trailers out of cargo trailers.
My main goal has always been to reliably go to campgrounds and off road spots for little money overall.
Most of my rigs have torsion axles and few have had shocks or springs and none have been damaged or destroyed by the towing.

There are a lot of options as you are seeing and I prefer Fiberglass too for the simple but rugged construction and maintenance they offer in general.
All of the internal appliances of trailers are really common to all trailers,not too many trailer makers make appliances so there is little difference between them there and not a whole lot that can go wrong that cant be fixed by anyone with some of that common knowledge so the bigger difference between trailers types boils down to just a few things to me.

Stick built or not is the main parameter to me.
I do not want a trailer with a wooden skeleton and Aluminum skin,they start rotting away the moment they are built and the quality of the build is typically not too good in general and they just do not last.

Aluminum or Steel framing and Aluminum Skin is a step up a lot of times but also can be orone to falling apart or rusting from within from leakage.

Fiberglass is in general a lot more rugged structure and with almost no wood to self-destruct and often a newer one can not be identified reliably when compared to a 25 year old version of the same rig!

So I would suggest that you go to www.fiberglassrv.com and have at it and see if anything there appeals to you and work from there.

661F906A-79B0-4851-8D1A-D5CB3E84DCF3.jpeg
95C39956-ABF0-4141-BE0F-C92F20038F3B.jpeg
44FEC1B4-59F4-4A78-9B3C-8D7FDB2F5CF4.jpeg

Thanks guys I appreciate the feedback. I really value the opinions on Mud for some reason as opposed to ExPo for no scientific reason except that I've been on here forever.

I'm glad to hear the testimony about torsion axles.

My previous vehicle (LX listed in SIG) was used on much more gnarly trails than I expect to ever take a trailer in the 100, but the build concept will be the same.

I'm glad to see Casita come up as I honestly love the simple layout, the option for full shower/bathroom and decent Kitchen. @EZDog are thse your campers? If so can you give a little more info on how well they've held up?

I guess the big crossroads I'm stuck at is this: Is it worth spending more money up front for a "higher quality" trailer or just accept spending a lot less knowing I can fix whatever comes up for repairs.

Trail Marker trailers did pique my interest a lot (recommendation from the ExPo side) as its all aluminum and they appear to be open to customizing to customer taste.

Anyways, thanks for the input guys. Still interested in real world experience from those willing to share.

The first pic with the Tundy is my current trailer its a 17' Casita Freedom Deluxe which means it has the Captains Chairs on the side where the SD model has a bench that can be a bed too.Those models can have bunks modded into them for the kids as well but a lot of us make the little heathens sleep outside in a tent too!
I have had an SD but got rid of it when I found this FD as it is just a nicer rig all around.

I have never and will never buy a new one.
I don't buy new vehicles of any kind,I simply would rather someone else take the hit on the newness premium and like the LC the FGRV are just put together differently and they really do last.
This is my 7th one I guess and I have only made money on every one of them.
The biggest problem with FGRV is finding one and snagging it before someone else,really.

The biggest issue that people have driving off the beaten path is the same as on the road these days I think.
If you want to beat the crap out of them just drive too fast.
If not then crawl along,you are dragging an Egg with wheels and treat them as such.
Also like anything else 4wd related it requires training and practice to get around and don't try to act like it doesn't?

So I go Slooooooow and nothing ever gets killed.Pretty simple.

There are lift kits and suspensions made for these too and I have sure considered doing something but I also feel like if its not broke why fix it so I haven't tried to.

I will likely get larger wheels and tires next and start there though to gain a little tank plumbing clearance but I do have timy skidplates on mine and when I sense scraping I go even slower.

I have dragged these to Tuscon,Santa Fe.all over Colorado western slope mainly though,Florida,Maine and everywhere in between and I am a beleiver.
Most of us over on that site I linked to above are and we have Rallies all over the place all the time.
There will be 100 trailers in Sebring Florida next week for example for the 16th year I think.

I have and keep having a lot of fun and yet these are so small and simple it is just a dofferent kind of camping.

Feel free to ask anything you like.

Ed

Thanks guys I appreciate the feedback. I really value the opinions on Mud for some reason as opposed to ExPo for no scientific reason except that I've been on here forever.

I'm glad to hear the testimony about torsion axles.

My previous vehicle (LX listed in SIG) was used on much more gnarly trails than I expect to ever take a trailer in the 100, but the build concept will be the same.

I'm glad to see Casita come up as I honestly love the simple layout, the option for full shower/bathroom and decent Kitchen. @EZDog are thse your campers? If so can you give a little more info on how well they've held up?

I guess the big crossroads I'm stuck at is this: Is it worth spending more money up front for a "higher quality" trailer or just accept spending a lot less knowing I can fix whatever comes up for repairs.

Trail Marker trailers did pique my interest a lot (recommendation from the ExPo side) as its all aluminum and they appear to be open to customizing to customer taste.

Anyways, thanks for the input guys. Still interested in real world experience from those willing to share.

I like the TetonX Hybrid as well, but here are my thoughts on what I have been through. Personally, if I was to do it all again and depending on the age of my kids, I would do another tent trailer. Here is the short story of my trailers. On a side note, I only sleep in paved campgrounds when absolutely necessary and most sites are completely off grid, meaning no hookups or services.

Back in 2008 I picked up my first tent trailer. Family of five and sometimes my mom went so I needed the capability to sleep six. The tent trailer was perfect. I bought a large one with a slide out galley, two kings and then the dinette would convert to a bed if needed. I did a spring over immediately to get a bit more height. My family and myself absolutely loved this trailer. I probably pulled it 20K miles all over the place and very often on rough roads. Never really had any material problems, but after owning it and really using it for 8 years it was showing a bit of wear. Little cracks, lots of rock chips, etc. It just began to look worn. Still my families favorite trailer to this day. Weighed in about 3300lbs fully loaded for a four day trip for six people. Personally, I don't think it gets much better than this for my family and myself.

The upsides

Low price of entry
Plenty of room for everyone to have their own space
Comfortable inside
Low overall height when traveling
Easy to tow - this does not mean light, just easy to tow - good characteristics, easy to see around and over, etc.
Lots of storage

Downsides

Cheap cabinets and plastic shell prone to damage from washboards and rough roads.
long rear hang over prone to dragging
Hard to run large tires
Soft tent canvas sides.
Cold inside when its cold outside - the heater would run a lot on cold Colorado nights

cmp.jpg

During this time, I also owned a teardrop trailer that I had built with my father a number of years ago. I really like the teardrop, but its too small for a family. I love how small and easy it is to pull, but standing outside in crappy weather or when it is really cold just sucks. I do like how easy it tows, you don't even feel it, and I really like how warm it is inside when sleeping. No room for kids and my wife isn't a real fan of there being no shower like the pop-up had, but its still pretty great. If I had it my way, I would throw a tent on the top for the kids, but they are old enough now that probably won't happen. IMO, its the epitome of what I want in order to be able to do hard trails and still sleep on a normal bed. I have also used and slept in this trailer a lot.

The upsides

Home made
Very light to tow - approx 750lbs
Can get it back in anywhere
Comfortable and warm inside - regular queen mattress to sleep on:)
Low overall height when traveling
Easy to tow
With long leaf springs (from FJ60) and shocks on it, it rides super smooth on rough roads. Nothing breaks, nothing cracks, all food and things are in their place when we get to camp.
Easy to run large off road tires on it.

Downsides

Small
Only holds 12 gallons of water
Only sleeps two
Have to cook outside
Have to shower outside in a shower tent.

tdr.jpg

tdr3.jpg

My son had a Casita for a short time and it was really nice. Definitely worth the price, but not large enough for more than two people in my mind. It was very well built, we did a 4" lift on it as he dragged that thing lots of places, but it was pretty tall and didn't ride overly good on bumpy roads. If I was to ever do a Casita, I would probably swap the torsion axle for one with long leaf springs.

It was super warm and comfortable. Nice kitchen, plenty of capacity, inside shower, etc. Pulled nicely too. It was just a bit big to get back into tight spots in the forest.

mtr.JPG

That's my 2 cents.

Last edited:
@LC4LIFE you hit on 3 important issues I've been dealing with. Also Your son Max has some major talent. I actually saw his Casita and had high hopes to see what he could turn it into, that 80 was a beast as well. As a father of a son that already loves working with his hands, I can imagine how proud you are.

I agree on all counts you listed. If it was purely my decision I think the most capable option would be the Teardrop with RTT, especially since I already have an ARB that even my wife loves. I also take your point about inclement weather and having to do everything outside to heart so I think that's out.

The popup seems like a great "beginner" camper for the reasons you mentioned - cheap and big bang for the buck.

I am liking what I see from Casita, just seems like it would be a little harder to customize. I've looked at those who have made bunks and I think I can do something about that. I haven't worked with fiberglass so drilling into the bulkheads to add swingout bunks brings up some questions in my mind.

I can't really argue or disagree with anything offered above but it might boil down to the kind of off roading you think you might get into.
The Eggs are just pretty much 2 Fiberglass Shells fused together in the middle and then furniture and walls are built inside,mostly from fiberglass molds like the shell but not all walls are either depending on the brand and model.
Scamp is the other predominate USA Egg and they are terrific as well,a little lighter and less expensive in general and I have loved them as well!

Most bulkheads that you would want to attach to are easy to get behind to back with wood too and fiberglass is remarkably easy to work with and on although to make it look good takes practice for sure but I am not think a lot of glass work will be needed for the kinds of mods you might need either.

Orbital Machine Works makes suspension kits and shocks ready to go on a Casita if that is your concern and it would also be pretty simple to fab something up if you wanted.
I have also seen straight axle replacements with springs and shocks if you needed to go there.

You might also look a the cargo trailer idea as I said initially too if you don't mind getting deep into it you can get and do exactly what you want and pretty cheap too if you want to do the work and want something simple.
You can get a naked trailer built as you want with the suspension that you want pretty ceap and start with a solid platform to expand on just as you want.

Here is my first go at a simple but practical build for myself to haul/camp and I didn't want water in it at all,when by yourself it is amazing how easy it can be!

Teardrops n Tiny Travel Trailers • View topic - New Here.New Project!

That site also has a pretty good section for Cargo Conversions and all sorts of other areas all about rolling your own trailer any way you can think of especially small.

I'm giving a strong look at the TetonX Hybrid personally though I'm not certain of it's internal frame construction materials.

In all candor, LC4LIFE i'm lost on your thoughts about the TetonX experience. I see your comments about a tent camper but nothing related to the TetonX. I've camped in a tent trailer in the mountains in sub freezing weather and you're right about equivalent climate but with the right gear it's manageable, just not preferable.

Has anyone had experience with the TetonX Hybrid?

I'm giving a strong look at the TetonX Hybrid personally though I'm not certain of it's internal frame construction materials.

In all candor, LC4LIFE i'm lost on your thoughts about the TetonX experience. I see your comments about a tent camper but nothing related to the TetonX. I've camped in a tent trailer in the mountains in sub freezing weather and you're right about equivalent climate but with the right gear it's manageable, just not preferable.

Has anyone had experience with the TetonX Hybrid?

I have no personal experience with the TetonX, but it looks really nice and very well thought out. Its got forced heat, so I am sure cold weather would be tolerable, if not a bit better than that. I can tell you though, that once it gets into the 20's or below, having any sort of canvas sides whether it be a full canvas sided tent trailer or the smaller pop-top type, keeping the heat in is tough. From what I have seen, the heater just runs all the time. For most people, camping in the cold is rare so its normally not an issue. I on the other hand travel all year so having something like my teardrop that is insulated with no canvas is much warmer. I spent late October last year in Yellowstone and Montana and it was regularly in the single digits at night. There is no way I would have wanted anything less than a hard sided insulated trailer. I guess, and maybe they already mention it somewhere, that if its really cold you just lower the top and sleep with it down.

"..... that if its really cold you just lower the top and sleep with it down. "

Exactly what I did here with our pop-top camper, got away with just a good bag and didn't need to run the heater:
i-nppVbqg-M.jpg

od takes practice for sure but I am not think a lot of glass work will be needed for the kinds of mods you might need either.

Orbital Machine Works makes suspension kits and shocks ready to go on a Casita if that is your concern and it would also be pretty simple to fab something up if you wanted.
I have also seen straight axle replacements with springs and shocks if you needed to go there.

Resurrecting this thread for some info, if I may. OMW doesn't seem to have an online presence anymore, is this correct? I wouldn't mind picking up their shock bracket kit for my GF's 2013 Casita 17'. Last weekend's mild wheeling highlighted how crappy this thing rides on a 4" lift. It's super comfy, no doubt but bobbing down the hwy or trail needs to be reduced, if possible 🤔

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom