Camp Trailer Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Only one question, where are mounting the mower? Nice to be able to work inside if needed.
:hmm: A couple of DC motors and a receiver and I could use the mower as a r/c trailer dolly.

sorry to hear you left the area, hope the move was a good one, I will keep looking in on this as I eventually want to build my own trailer. I recently sold the tent trailer I had. I need something simpler.
This is what made me start thinking about a teardrop. I don’t want to have to set anything up. Just park, level, and enjoy. Since this trailer was free to begin with and I don’t have to worry about diy inspections for registration, I figure what’s the harm in trying to build an off road teardrop. Given the money they’re going for I could always sell it later and make a profit.

yeah the new smittybilt trailer kits are not too expensive and seems like a great platform for a killer build you could modify yourself. I may go this route eventually. Last thing I need is another too large of a project. It would be nice to bolt something together and go.

You have good fab skills, but I'm sure like me it's the time that kills you. A bolt together OTS kit would make things really easy. I thought about building something similar to the smittybilt but don't really want to use a rooftop tent. After sleeping in the truck for so long I've gotten used to being protected from the wind and noise. That's what made be decide to switch from the restoration to a teardrop build. I haven't decided yet if I'll skin the hull in aluminum or not yet. Really easy for a project to snowball from economical to outrageous.

You would never do anythin g outrageous....:rofl::rofl:

You have good fab skills, but I'm sure like me it's the time that kills you. A bolt together OTS kit would make things really easy. I thought about building something similar to the smittybilt but don't really want to use a rooftop tent. After sleeping in the truck for so long I've gotten used to being protected from the wind and noise. That's what made be decide to switch from the restoration to a teardrop build. I haven't decided yet if I'll skin the hull in aluminum or not yet. Really easy for a project to snowball from economical to outrageous.

exactly, I have decent fab skills but the I look at the time and all the work I have to do and think, ugh.....

I need mine to be able to sleep at least 3, so a big ass fold out tent is the ticket for me, the biggest thing for me is to have it unattached to the truck so I can set camp up and not have to pack it back up until I am leaving town or the area, the whole "having camping s*** attached to my truck" does not work for me

I loved my pop up trailer for the room it provided, 1 queen and 2 full beds, dinette small fridge on propane for drinks, 10 gallons of water for washing and shower outside, but hated setting it up. Took too much time from hanging around the fire. The final straw was after a weekend at Panamint Valley and dealing with the wind. I think it took flight twice before I lashed it down at all four corners with a combination of bumpers, rocks, ice chests, and ratchet straps. I didn't sleep a wink that night bouncing around and then had to re-sew four of the seams that ripped after that weekend and used an entire box of wood screws to re-attach all the panels after they separated on the washboards. Sounded good and was cheap but not good for an off highway rig, worked well for extended campground camping that was not windy. Ended up with a class A diesel pusher that was too much work and upkeep costs for as little as we used it and just sold that a few months ago. Now back to my tent cot and loving it. Easy set up in 2 minutes anywhere and cooking on the tailgate with a coleman or cooking with a small propane grill.

Yep. I considered even going with a RTT. But can you imagine trying to climb off the roof of my rig to take a leak in the middle of the night? And the last thing my truck needs is to be any taller or more top heavy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom