Cabin Air Filters (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
cruiseroutfitters.com
Which one do you run?

87139-07010 - $19.60 retail
87139-YZZ20 - $19.60 retail
87139-50100 (deodorant style) - $52.80 retail

The 07010 and YZZ20 are extremely similar, the material is a bit different but the dimensions are identical. The 07010 now supercedes to the less expensive YZZ20

I use 87139-YZZ20.

Deodorant syle!? Whats that for...

Which one do you run?

87139-07010
87139-YZZ20
87139-50100 (deodorant style)

Promise not to laugh at me?

In search of a better filter than stock, I tried the 87139-50100:

ToyCarbonCAF_02APR17_zpssd05uayr.jpg

It was OK, some fumes were less compared to stock, but it was a real stretch to notice a difference. However, my biggest gripe with ALL the Toyota filters is how they fit in the filter holder - there are air gaps all around the edges which allow a lot of air to completely by-pass the filter.

After trying a few - all of which had the same loose fit in the filter holder:

MAHLE_CAF_02APR17_zps09zyv82l.jpg

FramCAF_02APR17_zps1oqovokx.jpg

I settled on the K&N Cabin Air Filter:

KN_CAF_02APR17_zpsjk6pocne.jpg

It is NOT an oiled filter. If airflow is rfeduced due to dirt, simply wash with dish soap (Dawn), air dry and re-use. Optionally, some air freshener can be sprayed on the filter after cleaning, but I have never been a fan of a car that has a foofy smell. I did try some Febreze spray on the filter and it did seem to work very well, but only for a couple of weeks.

It fits very well in the filter holder with a good seal all the way around:

KN_CAF2_02APR17_zpsqeingdhf.jpg

LC200CAF2_12NOV17_zpsggt1grot.jpg

I also like the warning sticker which migh help prevent ham-handed techs from reaching in and breaking the recirc cover:

LC200CAF1_12NOV17_zpspgemx3jq.jpg

Overall air volume is slightly less with the K&N, but I have never found it to be too little.

YMMV

HTH

I'm pretty fussy on most parts, but I buy the cheap CAFs on Amazon (posted above). I see no benefit for the OEM ones that cost a lot more. Maybe it's a better box?

The Lexus dealer tried to get me to pay $75 to replace the CAF in our IS a few weeks ago. And $80 to replace the wiper blades.

Promise not to laugh at me?
I settled on the K&N Cabin Air Filter:
Optionally, some air freshener can be sprayed on the filter after cleaning, but I have never been a fan of a car that has a foofy smell. I did try some Febreze spray on the filter and it did seem to work very well, but only for a couple of weeks.

It fits very well in the filter holder with a good seal all the way around:

Overall air volume is slightly less with the K&N, but I have never found it to be too little.

YMMV

HTH
@gaigin, thanks for the eval and recommendation...I'm gonna' with the K&N as I like the reusability and the seal. ;)

... "goofy" smell, I also find it repulsive.

I'm more in the cigars and dry elk blood camp. :beer:[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty fussy on most parts, but I buy the cheap CAFs on Amazon (posted above). I see no benefit for the OEM ones that cost a lot more. Maybe it's a better box?

The Lexus dealer tried to get me to pay $75 to replace the CAF in our IS a few weeks ago. And $80 to replace the wiper blades.
I was quoted a little north of $900 by the local Lexus store to replace 5 TPMS transmitters and reprogram the system. :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

Good news is that they will use oem Denso transmitters that I supply...much cheaper via a Denso distributor.

The factory (dark black) is a Charcoal cabin filter and helps with removal of odors. Be careful of SOME after-market cabin filters, I seen them not fit corner to corner, so it defeats the reason to filtering the air

Been using the K&N for almost 3 years and I'm totally pleased with it. It does the job, and cleaning is super easy.

One good low-priced alternative CAF I found was this one:

CleenaireCAF_19DEC18_zpsczohltfw.jpg

It fits very well in the filter holder, can be positioned either side up, has "7-Stage Filtration Media" including "Coconut Shell Activated Carbon" and worked well for me - flows more air than the K&N.

Only one problem: Amazon says it is "Currently Unavailable" and the cleenaire web site (CAF10285A) links to Amazon for purchase :mad:

But you might want to keep your eyes open for this one - I bough 2 for $12.97 when they were available and they outshine the competition (except the K&N, of course).

HTH

For the life of me, I cannot figure why anyone would want to clean filters... (and I’m one of those save the environment kinda guys)

Bosch HEPA Cabin Air Filter $22 on Amazon.

They actually specify efficiency (99.97% at .3 micro) where K&N doesn’t say a thing about it.

You would think K&N tested it, if they don’t advertise it, I’d assume it’s not very good.

Last edited:
Another happy K&N user here.

Got the K&N filter. Thanks for the tips. How long does it take for the rubbery stink to go away? Have had the filter in about a week and the stink from the new filter is getting old. Maybe just wash and dry it to have a fresh smell or will it go away eventually?

Got the K&N filter. Thanks for the tips. How long does it take for the rubbery stink to go away? Have had the filter in about a week and the stink from the new filter is getting old. Maybe just wash and dry it to have a fresh smell or will it go away eventually?

I never had any bad smell with mine. If the smell hasn't gone away in the week you've used it, I think you're on the right track with a thorough cleaning.

You did NOT use K&N filter oil on the cabin filter, right?

HTH

No, out of the box/wrapper and in the car. Surprised yours didn't stink. With the new rubber and oily feel, it had a smell out of the box. If you look at the Amazon reviews, there's tons of people that mention the stink. In fact, the top 8 reviews that come up first on the page all mention it. Maybe not all have it. I guess I'll wash and dry.

https://www.amazon.com/VF2000-Washa...307134&sr=8-1&keywords=vf2000#customerReviews

Last edited:
I installed the K&N 2 weeks ago and haven't noticed a stink but did notice less air flow.

FWIW, Advance Auto has the K&N for 25% off with homepage coupon. KN also recommends a cleaning and refresh kit. Evidently the refresh spray helps collections particulates. Does anyone with the KN use their special cleaner and refresh kit?

Just went out to inspect my CAF in my 2014 LC. Filter was clean (just picked it up in November).

One thing I can say for sure is that it is way easier to find/clean/replace thank the one in my 2000 LC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom