Burley Industries Prototype Expedition Trailer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here is the Jerry can mounted. I decided to keep the weight low and off the tongue. Plus I think it looks better here.
IMG_20160322_223215[1].jpg

Add a tab or something on the retaining plate to cover the filler cap so no one can open it up and siphon the gas off when it's mounted?

That's a great idea. I'll see what I can come up with.

Awesome trailer and I can't wait to see what it looks like when it gets back from powder coat! I too have been in sticker shock over what these trailers are fetching and I'm curious about your thoughts (after the materials, labor and skills you've sunk into this beast) regarding price points if you were to take this into production. Beautiful job!

Awesome trailer and I can't wait to see what it looks like when it gets back from powder coat! I too have been in sticker shock over what these trailers are fetching and I'm curious about your thoughts (after the materials, labor and skills you've sunk into this beast) regarding price points if you were to take this into production. Beautiful job!
Thanks, I can't wait too. Time couldn't go by fastest enough over the next couple days. Once it's all finalized I'll put together cost list and a purchase price. Already I have changes and upgrades in mind for the next one. I'll probably wait to start in a next one until I get some miles put on this one. That way I can make as many positive evolutionary changes to the next one as needed.

I got the trailer back from powder coating a few days ago. I haven't posted and pictures because I wan't very happy with the quality of the powder coating job. Long story short, when I dropped it off they said they could do a color called champagne that was very similar to the champagne on my Lexus LX450. They didn't have a sample to look at but i decided to go with it. What they failed to mention is they have never used this color (from what I gather) and that it is a very metallic color. When I went to pick it up I found the first of two issues, the metallic bunched up in the gun and then would release randomly in the coating. So there are a few spots that have metallic 'shavings' splattered all over them. They discounted the price from $700 to $400 after I 'lost my sh*t' about it. After I got the trailer home I was able to find a fairly close paint that I used to cover the spots. The second issue i'm finding is the coating seems thin in spots. It's difficult to tell for sure right now, but If that is the case, I'll probably take it back and make them redo the whole thing. Maybe black if it comes to that, they seemed good at black.

So here are the pictures. They pulled the axle when they coated it, which I appreciate, but then put it back in backwards. So I pulled it out and painted it and the leafs. I also got the tent on. I'm working on wiring this weekend.
20160406_195745[1].jpg
20160406_195759[1].jpg
20160407_145258[1].jpg
20160407_145220[1].jpg

cool build, nice trailer, would like to do one similar myself, but hopefully aluminum if I can afford it.

What are your plans for the spot in between the tent and the trailer? I guess the reason for this is to keep the unfolded tent floor high enough to not run into but it still looks like it would be too low? I'm considering when I build mine that I may leave my tent as low as possible to make loading a kayak on top an easier task. Good job though, seems well built, I'd like to know what it weighs.

cool build, nice trailer, would like to do one similar myself, but hopefully aluminum if I can afford it.

What are your plans for the spot in between the tent and the trailer? I guess the reason for this is to keep the unfolded tent floor high enough to not run into but it still looks like it would be too low? I'm considering when I build mine that I may leave my tent as low as possible to make loading a kayak on top an easier task. Good job though, seems well built, I'd like to know what it weighs.

Thanks. I added the roof rack mainly to get the tent up higher. The ladder is meant to extend from the roof of a truck so if the tent is low all the rungs are bunched up and it is a little more difficult to use. Also if I ever switch to a true trailer style RTT, like the ez-awn, it is designed to mount no lower than 66 inch from my understanding.

Ok, ya that's kinda what I figured, You should consider a pull out table or even a solar panel that will mount in that small space in between the tent and trailer. This is giving me some good ideas for my own build, thanks!

I'm a little late on posting these, but I got the trailer all sealed up. I used 3m Fleaxiclear seam sealer. It's crazy fast drying but is the perfect consistency when dry.

I also added some carpet just to help keep the floor from getting to scratched up and to have something easier on the knees in case I have to crawl back in after the tent is deployed.

20160412_200821[1].jpg

20160413_204428[1].jpg

IMG_20160413_223444[1].jpg

20160410_181622[1].jpg

I finally got the trailer out and into the mountains. We ran into some impassable snow drifts on the way up had to detour through some new area but we found a great little place to camp. The trailer pulled awesome even with my massively under powered 80 series. It tracked straight, stayed planted over bumps and best of all, held all of our camp gear! Having an empty vehicle is a strange but great thing when heading out for an adventure.
The spot we picked to camp wasn't ideal for pictures but provided the best shade. Here are a few pictures, enjoy:

IMG_20160417_213505[1].jpg

IMG_20160417_213246[1].jpg

IMG_20160417_214500[1].jpg

IMG_20160417_214646[1].jpg

IMG_20160417_214053[1].jpg

I made it out again this last week with the trailer. We left Friday night after work, camped along the side of the road, then Saturday morning made it down to Old Scott's Ranch just South of the Idaho-Nevada border on the Bruneau River. It was a great weekend trip, and a really good test bed for the trailer. The long wash board roads revealed an issue with the tailgate. Over time, on rough roads, the lock pin on the latch assembly of the tailgate works it's way down. It has a spring built into it to hold pressure on the pin but still it continued to work it's way down allowing the tailgate to come open. I ended up tying it shut as a 'trail fix' until I can dig into whats causing it. I may have to end up going back to the spring loaded pull pins as a secondary lock for this trailer. I'd like to go with a twist style cam latch on the next one. Maybe even two, one on each side.
I'm also not 100% sold on the drop down tailgate also. While it's nice for sitting on and using as a bench in camp, it makes reaching into the trailer, for something I forgot to pull out, difficult. It has pros and cons that I'll continue to weigh out as I further put the trailer to the test.
Another thought I've had lately is about firewood bins. I'm not able to store firewood on the lid like I initially thought I might be able to and storing it inside the trailer is not ideal. On the next one I'd like to build the trailer not quit so asymmetrical. With the tent deployed, there is no need for the fender shelf on that side. This could make for a prime spot for a firewood bin and other needed storage space.
Let me know what you guys think.
Here are some picture from the trip.

IMG_20160501_213142[1].jpg

IMG_20160501_213301[1].jpg

IMG_20160501_213350[1].jpg

IMG_20160501_213432[1].jpg

IMG_20160501_213552[1].jpg

Some beautiful and remote country up there in Bruneau River and greater Jarbidge area. One of my favorite places to get away; very far away. :)

A little update. I've been using the trailer for the last year now and am loving it. It will go anywhere I need it to and will carry everything I need it to. Here are a few pictures of the finished project. I built a simple fresh water system for it and also got the lower half, underside and front bedlined for added protection.
00y0y_2HrxUsPNZqw_1200x900.jpg
00D0D_crNhY16PX6y_1200x900.jpg
00l0l_5rYxqLP1omf_1200x900.jpg
00r0r_kxkGeywptVI_1200x900.jpg
00707_LWalqHdTkp_1200x900.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom