Bumper Restoring Techniques? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My rear bumper, side moulding, and mud flap rubber/plastic is faded from the Texas sun, what is the best method to bring back the black?

bumper-faded.jpg

mud-flaps-faded.jpg

Magic Eraser (seriously); then rattle can if not quite happy.

The end covers (the horizontal pieces) can be sanded and repainted (there's a link somehwere in this huge pile of data that is 80 wisdom on what the paint code is). The mudflaps are harder. I've used products like Black Magic or Meguir's with limited success; it really depends on what the rubber was subjected to in the past. If your truck has been in Texas away form salt in the winter, something like this might work for you. All these products work similarly to the headlight restoring products; they remove the outer sunbleached layers.

Last edited:
I had mine painted, here are the paint codes, now mine look like they came off the showroom floor. As far as the mud flaps I just bought new ones or you can get a can of spray paint.

Attachments

• Toyota bumper color codes.pdf
    612.4 KB · Views: 165
I had mine painted, here are the paint codes, now mine look like they came off the showroom floor. As far as the mud flaps I just bought new ones or you can get a can of spray paint.
Thanks for the paint code. I just figured it was matte or satin black.

The end covers (the horizontal pieces) can be sanded and repainted (there's a link somehwere in this huge pile of data that is 80 wisdom on what the paint code is). The mudflpas are harder. I've used products like Black Magic or Meguir's with limited success; it really depends on what the rubber was subjected to in the past. If your truck has been in Texas away form salt in the winter, something like this might work for you. All these products work similarly to the headlight restoring products; they remove the outer sunbleached layers.
Yeah, Texas truck it's whole life so I will give this a try before painting. Thanks for the advice!

I have found that the SEM 39143 Trim Black (spray can) works for most anything you can trim out on a cruiser. Amazon has an ample supply or your local paint store.

Thanks for the paint code. I just figured it was matte or satin black.
Any auto paint store can mix these in a can if you want. It's not showroom quality, but it's better than 30 year old faded and chipped.

Last edited:
Is the file only one page? I only see one color code. I have a 1997 40th Ed with two colors. A lighter gray on the metal bumper and a darker gray on the bumper extensions. It says Color code UCA83. Is that for the metal front bumper or the plastic extensions?

on my 95 model I only had one paint code. I guess it is quite possible that the 40th anniversary edition had two colors. Those are the only paint codes that I have. Best of luck to you

The bumper paint codes were for the bumper and end covers. IIRC, the 40th anniversary edition has the same color bumper as the other models, so that paint code would be valid for the bumper, but not the end covers. The front and rear should be the same color, so you could have a paint mixed to match the existing; I'd pick a spot on the bottom side of the cover, where the sun hadn't faded it.

FWIW, they come painted, if you buy them new.

The bumper paint codes were for the bumper and end covers. IIRC, the 40th anniversary edition has the same color bumper as the other models, so that paint code would be valid for the bumper, but not the end covers. The front and rear should be the same color, so you could have a paint mixed to match the existing; I'd pick a spot on the bottom side of the cover, where the sun hadn't faded it.

FWIW, they come painted, if you buy them new.
Yes, that is my problem, the bumpers come painted, but Toyota does not know the color code of the metal bumper. I went to San Jose Paint for a match, they looked at the inside of the bumper and matched it. It looks new, but it looks blue. Unless it was supposed to be blue from brand new. I would have thought it was the same gray of the grill. I am looking for color chips UCA83 for comparison.

FWIW. For the end pumpers, front and rear: PepBoys sells Dupli-Color BTY1619 (1G3). Perfect match.

With plastic trim, my best results have come from the heat method, restoring the black with a torch or heat gun, always moving from a few inches away, then prep for paint, and paint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom