Bumper bar / brush guard / light bar (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am finally going to tackle having a bumper bar/light bar built for my 460, since there are no decent commercially available options. I anticipate some will say it's a "damage multiplier" and that's ok, but hopefully we can agree to not agree on that one. I had a basic Westin bull bar on my 470...it was so so, but I did like the ability to mount the lights and the look.

With this one, I hope for it to stand out a little less or look more like it belongs. I need it to hold some SS3 fogs and some off road lights (I have some Aux Beams for now but hoping for some LP4s or LP6s) and also be a place to tie down straps to the fronts of my Kayaks (and of course Christmas trees). Maybe it can offer a little front end protection from the occasional shopping cart, very small squirrels , tumbleweeds or small shrubberies. The other thing I am going to do is mount the bar to two of the bolt on recovery points from Kyle at Treaty Oak Off-road. So the bar can be unbolted if need be. It will be smaller diameter (approx 1.5"), so a little less bulky looking.

The shape I am hoping for is to follow the angles/lines on the lower hourglass grill and top of the hoop to cross over at the mid section of the grill. Then some extensions out to the corners, staying clear of the sensors as much as possible. and it probably needs to be wide enough at the bottom so it does not impede using the recovery points with a strap. And last, on color, I'm thinking anywhere from flat black to a version of gray to blend in with the rig color.

One quick question I can think of now, is how to best cut that lower air dam or do I remove it?

I appreciate hearing feedback on the LP4 vs LP6 vs other options for a good all purpose, trail, "see deer" light and any feedback on powder coat vs bed liner paint vs actual commercial bed liner might be worth discussing

Wish me luck, it might look ridiculous, but I will post pictures anyway. Always appreciate everyone's comments, encouragement or ideas. These pics will get it started.

Pic 1 is with the kayaks to show ties downs
Pic 2 is the recovery point design
Pic 3 is a poor attempt at a sketch but somewhat along the lines of design (using the lifestyle overland rig as my model, I really like the look of theirs)
Pic 4 is the lower air dam that I might remove or cut slot into for the bar

1614956529729.png
1614956774804.png
1614956852792.png
1614956944417.png

Last edited:
I am finally going to tackle having a bumper bar/light bar built for my 460, since there are no decent commercially available options. I anticipate some will say it's a "damage multiplier" and that's ok, but hopefully we can agree to not agree on that one. I had a basic Westin bull bar on my 470...it was so so, but I did like the ability to mount the lights and the look.

With this one, I hope for it to stand out a little less or look more like it belongs. I need it to hold some SS3 fogs and some off road lights (I have some Aux Beams for now but hoping for some LP4s or LP6s) and also be a place to tie down straps to the fronts of my Kayaks (and of course Christmas trees). Maybe it can offer a little front end protection from the occasional shopping cart, very small squirrels , tumbleweeds or small shrubberies. The other thing I am going to do is mount the bar to two of the bolt on recovery points from Kyle at Treaty Oak Off-road. So the bar can be unbolted if need be. It will be smaller diameter (approx 1.5"), so a little less bulky looking.

The shape I am hoping for is to follow the angles/lines on the lower hourglass grill and top of the hoop to cross over at the mid section of the grill. Then some extensions out to the corners, staying clear of the sensors as much as possible. and it probably needs to be wide enough at the bottom so it does not impede using the recovery points with a strap. And last, on color, I'm thinking anywhere from flat black to a version of gray to blend in with the rig color.

One quick question I can think of now, is how to best cut that lower air dam or do I remove it?

I appreciate hearing feedback on the LP4 vs LP6 vs other options for a good all purpose, trail, "see deer" light and any feedback on powder coat vs bed liner paint vs actual commercial bed liner might be worth discussing

Wish me luck, it might look ridiculous, but I will post pictures anyway. Always appreciate everyone's comments, encouragement or ideas. These pics will get it started.

Pic 1 is with the kayaks to show ties downs
Pic 2 is the recovery point design
Pic 3 is a poor attempt at a sketch but somewhat along the lines of design (using the lifestyle overland rig as my model, I really like the look of theirs)
Pic 4 is the lower air dam that I might remove or cut slot into for the bar

View attachment 2603912View attachment 2603918View attachment 2603919View attachment 2603920
To me this is kind of funny since I just posted on another members thread that opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has one. So in short, don't worry about what anyone thinks or says, along as it's a safe, legal modification and makes you happy, that all that really matters!
Enjoy your self and personally, I'm looking forward to your pic's! Even if I may be in the "damage multiplayer" group, you may come up with a concept that is truly unique and sturdy! :cheers:

Last edited:
Your wants and use list looks like it lines up with an offering like the Victory 4x4 Blitz bumper, have you seen their prototype for 14+ GXs?

You wouldn't be after using it as a winch mount, but could mount lights, have recovery points and tie off points, it is styled to compliment an OE look, offers some basic protection and a little more ground clearance without chopping the whole face off the rig.

To be clear, I'm not hating on the bull bar idea and suggesting a bumper as a "better option", but rather it simply checks the boxes, doesn't require R&D and might be price competitive "all in" compared to a custom setup. If nothing else, maybe it's a good option to use as some styling or function inspiration.

Thanks, I do like that victory blitz and also the CBI unit...I was just trying to be honest with myself this time and didn't feel I needed a heavy front bumper (and this will be removeable if I totally mess up). I love some of the Arctic truck bars and that is what got me wanting to do this. I have an appointment with the fab shop tomorrow morning so I guess I will soon see what craziness we can dream up with bent tubing.

I see, I had to google the artic truck bars and was immediately drawn to this. I like the angles and supports, but maybe have them done in the rough 'head-on' profile of the Victory Blitz bumper (flat/horizontal on the edges and follow the grill line in the center, to mid-grill height or a little lower). A main bottom bar that extends past the front of the bumper but then support arms that cross through the lower grill to tie back into the main support arms.

ArticRR.jpg

that's pretty wild...I don't know if I can get away with the external mounted rifle case in town, but was thinking more like this one...

1615239852383.png

I see, I had to google the artic truck bars and was immediately drawn to this. I like the angles and supports, but maybe have them done in the rough 'head-on' profile of the Victory Blitz bumper (flat/horizontal on the edges and follow the grill line in the center, to mid-grill height or a little lower). A main bottom bar that extends past the front of the bumper but then support arms that cross through the lower grill to tie back into the main support arms.

View attachment 2607662
Personally, I'd like to just do a grill swap with the RR emblazoned on it!

1615432730023.png

I might even do something along these lines...without the top hoop (I can always add it later if I want).

Last edited:
You may want to put some sort of lens guard over the front of the lights for stones and rocks being kicked up.
But the nice thing if you go with LED's is if the lens does break, the light still works! It just may not be water proof any longer.

Last edited:

View attachment 2607662

Not gonna lie, that Roller is ****in awesome. I’d totally do that if I was stupid rich. Though I’d rather do it to a Bentley as it’s AWD system is pretty legendary.

Today's progress... The recovery points are mounted on the frame and we are attaching the brush bar to those (they will be bolted onto the recovery points so the bar can be removed to repaint, etc as needed). The bar is tacked into position and still making some bends and adjustments. It actually tucks up under pretty well and the riser bars fit into the two indentations in the air dam.

Then the next steps are to put in the side support tubes (slightly smaller tubes) as drawn in. We are going to fab the upper hoop, but it looks like the way it's designed it might look a little large, so we are looking at ways to de-emphasize it somehow and we are not going to weld it on until the last step. Might just tack it on and stare at it for a day or two before welding it on. It might even look ok without it. The lights are just LP4s cut and pasted for reference.

One question... If this bar or the lights interfere with the parking sensors near the license plate, what are my options? I would like to keep the rear sensors working, but can I disconnect just these two if I need to? Or I guess I could remount them somehow.

1615432613910.png

Last edited:
Well... some not so good news. After trying to get this done, the shop (who shall remain nameless) totally misrepresented what they were going to do. The welder said he had about 6 hours into it and then they brought out a bar that looked like the worst welds I have ever seen (and I am a 35+ year weld inspector and I’ve seen better welds on a mall parking lot carnival ride). Literally the welder said it was lousy and he felt bad and would clean them up. The next day they called and said it was done and wanted $1500. We disagreed on price and quality so I said no thanks (actually had some other choice words) and let them keep it.
So the project is stopped for now. I will continue when I figure out the next best option. Sorry folks

If a shop does shoddy work, they should be called out by name so they don't scam anyone else!
I may not be in or near Bend, but I'm sure there are other Mudder's on here that are and may come across them for work.

If a shop does shoddy work, they should be called out by name so they don't scam anyone else!
I may not be in or near Bend, but I'm sure there are other Mudder's on here that are and may come across them for work.

^ This

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom