Building "Burt" the 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

First post on Mud so apologies if this is in the wrong place... Just traded my 2012 Trail Team FJ about a month ago for a 1994 80 series. Super stoked about it. Single owner before me and was owned by a Toyota mechanic. The thing was dead stock and had nearly brand new interior. Since then I've done quite a few baseline projects as well as things to make it a bit more capable off-road. I did a lot of roof top tent camping in the FJ to some remote spots so I wanted to get the 80 ready for the same thing. Here's what I've done so far...

Baseline:
  • Replaced EGR
  • Replaced O2 sensors
  • Resealed windshield
  • Cleared Sunroof gutters
  • New (used) Door lock actuators all around
  • Replaced Engine Gasket
  • Replaced Trunion seals
  • New front and rear door speakers
  • Replaced front door seals
  • New Grille
The Good Stuff
  • TJM T17 Bumper with winch
  • OME Stock Height Suspension w/ steering stabilizer
  • Bowfin Rack
  • Safari Snorkel
  • 285 KO2 Tires
I'm trying to figure out what to do next. If anyone has some ideas that would be great. Any other baseline stuff to look out for? Here's what I was thinking...
  • White Knuckle Sliders
  • Dual Battery System
  • Delta System Interior Cargo Rack
  • Get hood repainted (fading)
  • Paint roof with monstaliner (clear coat starting to chip)
Here are some pics.

Original
IMG_5098.jpg

Current
IMG_1598.jpg

IMG_1595.jpg

IMG_1604.jpg

Thanks guys. Stoked to be here.

Rock sliders

Hey guys,

First post on Mud so apologies if this is in the wrong place... Just traded my 2012 Trail Team FJ about a month ago for a 1994 80 series. Super stoked about it. Single owner before me and was owned by a Toyota mechanic. The thing was dead stock and had nearly brand new interior. Since then I've done quite a few baseline projects as well as things to make it a bit more capable off-road. I did a lot of roof top tent camping in the FJ to some remote spots so I wanted to get the 80 ready for the same thing. Here's what I've done so far...

Baseline:
  • Replaced EGR
  • Replaced O2 sensors
  • Resealed windshield
  • Cleared Sunroof gutters
  • New (used) Door lock actuators all around
  • Replaced Engine Gasket
  • Replaced Trunion seals
  • New front and rear door speakers
  • Replaced front door seals
  • New Grille
The Good Stuff
  • TJM T17 Bumper with winch
  • OME Stock Height Suspension w/ steering stabilizer
  • Bowfin Rack
  • Safari Snorkel
  • 285 KO2 Tires
I'm trying to figure out what to do next. If anyone has some ideas that would be great. Any other baseline stuff to look out for? Here's what I was thinking...
  • White Knuckle Sliders
  • Dual Battery System
  • Delta System Interior Cargo Rack
  • Get hood repainted (fading)
  • Paint roof with monstaliner (clear coat starting to chip)
Here are some pics.

Original
View attachment 2300309
Current
View attachment 2300310
View attachment 2300311
View attachment 2300312
Thanks guys. Stoked to be here.
Lights, rear bumper with tire carrier.

Great color! Man that paint looks good, is that new or original paint??

Do a buff and respray on the clear coat, you have a great color that looks like its in decent condition. I would go with sliders as the next step, protection goes a long way to save you money.
Thanks man. I’ll give the buff and respray a shot. Definitely good to know. Unfortunately the LC doesn’t fit in the garage so the sun certainly isn’t helping.

Recently put in Slee's Dual Battery IBS-DBS system. Here's what I did. I'll try to include details that I haven't seen on other threads:)

Relocated washer bottle using Slee's brackets. Had to bend the back left bracket a bit to keep the reservoir from hitting the OBD1 diagnostic box.
IMG_3861.jpg

Next I took the resonator off of the air intake and installed a new tube that I got from Napa. Didn't snap a pic but the bracket that held the resonator on also has to be cut off.
IMG_8883.jpg

Then I fit the new battery tray which I also got from Slee. It has to be trimmed slightly on the side that interferes with the back of the radiator. Before trimming I took off the foam piece that sits on the edge of the tray. After trimming I put the foam piece back on the trimmed edge of the tray. It stays on decent on its own but I added some tape to be sure. This will keep the tray from rubbing on the radiator too harshly. Also I had to pull the radiator overflow reservoir out in order to get the tray in. It just lifts off.
IMG_0457.jpg

Next was deciding the location that I wanted my system controller to be in. Decided to put it on the side center console just below the dash. Seemed like the easiest place to route the wires and it also looks pretty discrete. Also nice because if you need to reset the controller it is easy access to the controller plug which you can see next to the dash bracket mabobber.
IMG_2183.jpg

Then I routed the wires into the engine bay. I just cut a small x in the gasket and shoved that puppy through. I sheathed the wires from right behind the controller plug all the way till a couple inches past the gasket. Then one of the wires must travel over the firewall while the others head toward the starter battery.
IMG_7174.jpg

Next I connected all of the wires between the relay and the remote boost module. The boost module allows for the auxiliary battery start and such. If you get the kit be sure to get the boost module. I then mounted them in the bolt holes where the washer bottle used to sit. I put the relay on top and boost module below.
IMG_7948.jpg

Next thing to do is to make a new ground for the auxiliary battery. I made one right in front of the auxiliary battery on the left side in front of the tray. After that you just hook up the terminals to the batteries and presto Mundo. Another thing to note is that if you have a winch it should stay connected to the starter battery and not the auxiliary.
IMG_1945.jpg

IMG_0190.jpg

I have used this system for about a month now and it's been great. To test the system I left some lights on over night. In the morning the controller said that the main battery was on low power. I then linked the batteries and she started right up. Hoping to get a fuse box on the auxiliary soon. Hope this helps anyone thinking of installing this system in the future.

Your battery's should be the same type and age for best charging , just sayin other wise looking good ;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom