Builds BUILD THREAD - KZJ78 - Lenny (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gotta have some fun along the way - Pioneer head unit with backup camera had also been installed along with new speakers front and back. An amp and sub are probably in my future plans.

1568237815510.jpeg

Oh yeah, also changed out fluid on new fan clutch, adjusted down my temp to engage, and bought a new fan and trimmed it down.

1568238009096.jpeg

And thanks to more good advice from Nick and many others, recently completed one of the most beneficial mods to date. Added a boost controller and adjusted max boost from 12 psi to 14 psi.

1568238229189.jpeg

This instantly dropped EGTs by nearly 200F.

I bought this truck in December and I believe what I have mentioned pretty much catches me up to the current date. Right now engine temps seem under control, but I still feel EGTs could be a little lower. Maybe I am just getting greedy - I don’t know. I can head up “the hill” and maintain speeds of about 80kph and without seeing EGTs get much over 1100F. I could get higher if I don’t watch gauges and adjust my driving. I certainly cannot just drive up the hill carefree and not worry about watching temperatures.
At this point, my spill control valve has been backed off 3/4 of a turn from the position it was in when I acquired the vehicle. That feels like a lot to me, but I am also not sure how rich it was running when I bought the vehicle. I am a little scared to back off of the spill control valve anymore at this point. My eventual goal is to be able to pull a small pop-up trailer and at this point in time that doesn’t seem realistic. Maybe the intercooler mod is what will push me to that next level?

Current day - current wish list:
Intercooler
Front ARB
Sliders
Seats or seat covers
New suspension

Changed out the wider 32” tires for skinny 33’s and took off the rain deflector things off the windows. Also removed the “damage multiplier” from the front.
(On a related note, if you know of anyone interested in purchasing a brush guard or window thingies, let me know)

View attachment 2080891
Wow, looks awesome!!

what tire size are those "33"?

Loving your truck and the work you've done to baseline it. Very cool. Is your turbo setup stock?

Thanks so much! Yes, turbo is stock for now. I am about to do some research to find out just how hard I can push a stock turbo...

I'm just curious about the hill-climbing issues you are having. I don't know much about diesels or turbos.
The EGT temps you are experiencing, are they within stock parameters?

It just seems that, as you've been base-lining things, they've been improving. I was curious if you took all the OEM-spec stuff back to stop adjustment values would see a better situation? Albeit perhaps less overall power. But then you could tinker with everything from a stock, as-Toyota-intended, position. Or was the stock setup prone to the EGT issues you are finding?

I'm just curious about the hill-climbing issues you are having. I don't know much about diesels or turbos.
The EGT temps you are experiencing, are they within stock parameters?

It just seems that, as you've been base-lining things, they've been improving. I was curious if you took all the OEM-spec stuff back to stop adjustment values would see a better situation? Albeit perhaps less overall power. But then you could tinker with everything from a stock, as-Toyota-intended, position. Or was the stock setup prone to the EGT issues you are finding?

I guess there is no telling what “stock” really was because I don’t know what the previous owner had done to it. For example, the Spill Control Valve might have been set way too rich to begin with. All I can do is back off of SCV and see how it effects the truck. Everything I have done is making small improvements. Besides an intercooler though, I am about running out of things to adjust.
Side note - my adjustments have all been in pursuit of making it run cool, not performance.

Oh yeah, also changed out fluid on new fan clutch, adjusted down my temp to engage, and bought a new fan and trimmed it down.

View attachment 2080952

Also, out of curiosity, why did you need to trim your fan? Is the fan you bought not the original part? Was your old fan missing a blade?

I guess there is no telling what “stock” really was because I don’t know what the previous owner had done to it. For example, the Spill Control Valve might have been set way too rich to begin with. All I can do is back off of SCV and see how it effects the truck. Everything I have done is making small improvements. Besides an intercooler though, I am about running out of things to adjust.
Side note - my adjustments have all been in pursuit of making it run cool, not performance.

So is there no way to tell what the original setting was for the Spill Control Valve?
Can you get a Factory Service Manual for your specific engine and do a "tune-up" to factory specs on all the adjustable items?

I see clearly that you are trying to make it run cool... and I'm thinking you're probably battling a bunch of previous tweaking that was meant for "performance". You clearly understand that running cool IS performance. =) Whereas the PO probably thought performance was "MORE POWER!"

Anyway, like I said before... diesels and turbos... I'm largely clueless. But perhaps unhelpfully, I'm curious. Ha! The engineer in me says get things back to exactly how Toyota delivered it/spec'd it... and then improve from there.

You're making me want a stock Toyota turbo diesel setup... just to play and learn.

Everything I have done is making small improvements. Besides an intercooler though, I am about running out of things to adjust.

On the 2LTE, an intercooler is a game changer. Completely transforms the motor's potential. Drops EGT's a ton, increases power and efficiency immediately. Drops EGT's so much that more fuel can be added for power and the motor is still running much cooler than OEM. I imagine this would have the same impact on the 1KZTE. It's definitely something you should be planning for. Of everything I've done to my motor, the intercooler by far had the biggest impact.

So is there no way to tell what the original setting was for the Spill Control Valve?
Can you get a Factory Service Manual for your specific engine and do a "tune-up" to factory specs on all the adjustable items?

I see clearly that you are trying to make it run cool... and I'm thinking you're probably battling a bunch of previous tweaking that was meant for "performance". You clearly understand that running cool IS performance. =) Whereas the PO probably thought performance was "MORE POWER!"

Anyway, like I said before... diesels and turbos... I'm largely clueless. But perhaps unhelpfully, I'm curious. Ha! The engineer in me says get things back to exactly how Toyota delivered it/spec'd it... and then improve from there.

You're making me want a stock Toyota turbo diesel setup... just to play and learn.

The spill valves are set at the factory while they tune the injection pumps for installation. There is a measurement you can take with some calipers to get a rough idea of the proper range for the spill valve though. See attached very end of the document. The document also gives the fuel specs set from factory.

Attachments

• 1KZTE_Fuel_Spec.pdf
    64.5 KB · Views: 468
Thanks Nick - yeah, I know what you say is true - just gotta take the plunge!
Also, I feel that everything is mostly u fee control right now and I am ready for the next step.

Also, out of curiosity, why did you need to trim your fan? Is the fan you bought not the original part? Was your old fan missing a blade?

The fan was not a direct replacement for the KZJ78 and the diameter was a little big, BUT it had an extra blade and feels like it moves more air.

Sure beats driving your Jeep down the mountain. Enjoying the thread, and kind of glad your working out things to make my KZJ78 build easier. Come down South if you want some sun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom