Broken Transfer Case (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been quite a bit since I posted. Life always gets in the way. Looking for a little insight about fixing my broken transfer case. I have a 72 Fj-40 with a 79 4 speed tranny. Long story short what I believe happened is my drive shaft came off of the transfer case yolk and spun up and broke the case. (Pics below). Question in Pic #1 is the push rod supposed to be bent? Is it as simple as changing out that and the part that bolts onto the neck of the yolk, will add fluid of course? I have been lucky enough to get a doaner transfer case and am hoping I don't need to pull the tranny etc.. Appreciate the help as always.

Broken Transfer-3.jpg

Broken Transfer-2.jpg

Broken Transfer-1.jpg

The 2W/4W shift fork is definitely bent and the housing is busticated, but other than that the damage looks minimal.

Thanks Pin Head. My follow up question would be could my Auburn Locker, even though I had only just shifted into 4 Wheel Drive High while not moving, have been the cause of the bustification? My only rational thought was that it had to have been the drive shaft since when I climbed under the rig after it made some unmentionable noises only to discover there was only 1 bolt holding it in place.

I thought that Auburn only makes a LSD. Either way, I doubt that it had any immediate effect on the driveshaft with only one bolt holding it. Chances are the driveshaft whacked it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom