Broken transfer case........ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cruiserdrew said:
Kurt-Is it possible to mate a split case to an SM420? THat would be a very desirable combination as I think of my 3 speed case as the weak link in my FJ40s drive line.

Yup, as James described, the AA adapter is the only one in production. I have seen a couple "home-made" (guys with machine shop access) plate style adapters. I have a customer that comes in from time to time, he bought a truck with the setup in place... pretty neat. Not sure what drawbacks the plate has compared to the cast housing AA offers. I have sold several of the AA units, never a complaint with the exception of price :D and driveline loss...

I currently have an SM465 coupled to a 3 speed case via the long spud shaft AA adapter

Mulling around options at the moment, no Atlas in here, too many mods.....

SM465 + Orion = dang low........$1500

Got a sweet 73 rebuilt case I can slap in quick.....FREEBIE

Got a Turbo 350/and both adapters so I can use either a 10 spline or 19 spline cases..........$600 :confused: :confused:

woody said:
please tell me you had drained all the floaties from CM from the fluid....

hehehe

DSCF0009.jpg

That looks like a good time....

Something about monkeys and a football....

Atlas it Butch....and don't look back!

SK04-05-01.jpg

I am glad I did.

Wish we were not so far apart...

:beer:

cruiseroutfit said:
Requires swapping a rear axle, custom lengths, custom drivelines, etc...

Go ORION or Split T/C... :D

couldn't you put a minitruck rear axle in, and shorten your own driveline, I can find rear axles lying around, and a better transfer case for $100, it's toyota parts that are expensive.
I'm just curious, it seems that toyota transfer cases are pretty fragile, at the orion seems to have a lot of trouble. most people have spare rear axles out of something withing easy reach, so why not if you have a chevy transmission not use a chevy transfer case.

FoYoChe said:
couldn't you put a minitruck rear axle in, and shorten your own driveline, I can find rear axles lying around, and a better transfer case for $100, it's toyota parts that are expensive.
I'm just curious, it seems that toyota transfer cases are pretty fragile, at the orion seems to have a lot of trouble. most people have spare rear axles out of something withing easy reach, so why not if you have a chevy transmission not use a chevy transfer case.

the only viable GM t case is a 205, it has an anemic low gear ratio, and the OEM adapter is long, then I would need a centered rear axle, and nobody I run with wiill have spares so I'd better build it stout, and it's a never ending deal...........

Poser said:
That looks like a good time....
Something about monkeys and a football....
I am glad I did.
Wish we were not so far apart...
:beer:

You gotta mark the calender and drive down for the Roundup next year........check your PM's
Butch

FoYoChe said:
...I'm just curious, it seems that toyota transfer cases are pretty fragile, at the orion seems to have a lot of trouble. most people have spare rear axles out of something withing easy reach, so why not if you have a chevy transmission not use a chevy transfer case.

1-piece Toyota T-cases are pretty fragile, the later Split-cases and Mini/4Runner cases are much more stout. The mini-truck axle has its downfalls, smaller ring gear, etc. Cost can really hike when you start talking narrowing a domestic axle, etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom