Broken Idler Gear Tooth (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have torn down and rebuilt over a hundred t-cases, and I have NEVER seen a thrust washer fail. That is super strange Chris. Of course that doesn't help answer your question, just saying.

Logically, the thrust washer should not have any more load on it than the preload you set on the output bearings, as the output shaft and the output bearing capture the thrust washer. The thickness of the gear is nowhere near wide enough to put any load on the thrustwasher.

Were there any problems setting the preload on the bearings?

Come to think of it, I think there was a preload problem on MY Orion when I went to set it up, which was conveniently solved with the stepped thrust washers I got from Poser.

This may be the key.

Mark A.

Pin_head said he didn't think the chip was causing my noise, unless the cluster gear is sliding back and forth some. :eek:

In all fairness, you asked me if a chipped tooth would make a knocking noise before you posted up pictures of the gear. After looking at it, I would say that is more than a just chipped tooth.

In all fairness, you asked me if a chipped tooth would make a knocking noise before you posted up pictures of the gear. After looking at it, I would say that is more than a just chipped tooth.

No worries. I didn't know the extent of the damage when I first contacted you. Thanks for the help.

I think all the other gears are fine.

AA wants to see what's left of the thrust washer. I'll probably have to buy a new idler gear. Hopefully they'll go easy on me. :rolleyes::eek:

AA wants to see what's left of the thrust washer. I'll probably have to buy a new idler gear. Hopefully they'll go easy on me. :rolleyes::eek:

1. Make sure you get the stepped thrust washers for this install.

2. After you've set the preload, spin the gears carefully in both directions thru a full rotation. A hesitation in either direction is not a sign of something that will break in, just something that will break. [voice of experience]

GL

P.S. Did you get my message?

It looks to me like the wear on the idler is offset to one side of the teeth indicating the gears may have been misaligned. That would mean either the thrust washer was in wrong or maybe there was some other issue with the assembly. It is also entirely possible you got a bad thrust washer that was just bad from the get go.

It looks to me like the wear on the idler is offset to one side of the teeth indicating the gears may have been misaligned. That would mean either the thrust washer was in wrong or maybe there was some other issue with the assembly. It is also entirely possible you got a bad thrust washer that was just bad from the get go.

Another possible scenario: a shackle reversal with a too long front driveline, upon compression the front driveline can give orion a jab that can transfer the force to the rear thrust washer. But I don't know his setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom