Brakes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had someone have a look over my 1989 FJ62 and one of the things they said is this:
  • The entire brake system needs to be rebuilt. The truck is unsafe to drive.
    • All lines exhibit heavy rust on the exterior
      • Brake lines rust from the inside out so this is very concerning
    • Master Cylinder has failed
    • Proportioning valve has been consumed by rust
It sounds as if I have a bit of work ahead of me. Any step by step guidance would be much appreciated and if anyone is near 12545 I'd be up for emotional support!

living where you do, it is only a matter of time.

plan on some broken bolts along the frame where the lines run

I wouldn’t fret over the “death sentence”. Your cruiser is over 30 years old. EVERYONE’S brakes need to be overhauled before 3 decades.
It’s par for the course and just part of owning these antiques.

If you decide to do the work yourself, it can be both rewarding and challenging - one of the perks of owning one of these vehicles.

If you’re going to have someone else do the work and cash is tight, just do it bit by bit.
Master cylinder first.
Front brakes 2nd
Rears last

While the insides of brake tubes can rust, all the rust you’re seeing on the outside didn’t start on the inside.
I’d clean up a tube’s outside with a wire brush and check out how bad the corrosion really is. Maybe it’s not so bad and is just crusty with dirt.
Brake piping can be replaced if necessary.

do you have any other symptoms? how do the brakes "feel"?

rust on the outside doesn't mean the inside all rusted too...it doesn't mean is isn't either. If the PO flushed the brake hydraulics with new fluid ever few years (which is doubtful, I think) then it might be OK.

Go to the resources tab at the top of the page and download the 1984-1990 body and chassis manual. There will be a whole section on Brakes! You can do some troubleshooting (if you are not satisfied with your brakes) and you can do the checks and adjustments to start. Check for leaks at the wheel cylinders. Flush with new fluid (aka brake bleeding). See how it goes.

Have fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom