Brakes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What year did brake boosters first appear on fj40. I have 72 fj40 and am told it should have a brake booster. I was told that it could be an import however I traced it back to have been bought in New Mexico years ago then to Alabama and finally here to texas. I believed it was first sold here but the brakes have me puzzled

Should have booster, not to say it was standard and should always be there but AFAIK

Well talked to Colorado cruiser he said they didn’t come out in 72 but later I found a federal safety tag so I am sure it’s American import to New Mexico

So did every fj40 made after 70 to the USA have a booster on them???
I looked at the firewall I see a plate with 4 bolts I also see the master cylinder with three bolts holding it to the plate with 4 bolts my other fj40s didn’t have that plate so could it have been changed and why if so

FBB27983-18AC-4ED0-A7B2-CE6F418935A9.jpeg

probably to clear that big ol air cleaner sitting there. is the steering column u-bolted to the firewall rib? I'm intrigued. Can you post a few more pictures of the steering setup and the engine bay?

I also noticed a vacuum line from the intake manifold that is blocked that went to a booster I bet

105F09F0-F285-497F-9FC5-83602797C0AC.jpeg

9CD86F0F-EE79-4D9E-BEE0-818FD88C2BE0.jpeg

436F166C-B474-4D5F-938F-65A43C608DD2.jpeg

I can get a small air filter get booster and new master cylinder so I guess that’s my option. Lots of little changes I noticed that are like you say making it a hybrid of sorts mostly for the better

does the vin plate match the frame #?

a WAG would be someone installed an older body on this frame and stayed with the single circuit brakes. if going with a booster and master, you will need to redo some or all of the brake lines and fittings, and if it is an older running gear it may have 9mm fittings instead of 10mm.

I also see remnants of column shift, which would not be on a 1972.

The metal vin plate has the same number as the frame. Texas Dmv was able to verify that it was originally from New Mexico then Alabama and finally Texas I haven’t seen anything that looks like a 3 on the three. The motor is a 1969 f series Power steering was added but other than the brake issue it pretty straight forward and actually the drum brakes work well just wondering why not leave the booster

The metal vin plate has the same number as the frame. Texas Dmv was able to verify that it was originally from New Mexico then Alabama and finally Texas I haven’t seen anything that looks like a 3 on the three. The motor is a 1969 f series Power steering was added but other than the brake issue it pretty straight forward and actually the drum brakes work well just wondering why not leave the booster
Why would you change all the brake lines if you are leaving the drum brakes just replacing the booster?

right above the steering column where it goes thru the firewall, you'll see an extra hole, where the column shift rod would come thru

the steering column has been changed and or modified

it seems rather odd that, to remove the booster to fit a large air cleaner and then change all the brake system to single circuit, would be alot more work than just getting an air cleaner to fit the application.

brakes may work great now, but if you lose 1 line or hose, you will have NO brakes at all.

going with a booster you'll end up with a dual circuit system versus he current 1 circuit system, somewhere you will need to isolate the front from the rear and tie back into the rear. you will need atleast a new line to tie into the rear. dead end the front.
the problem is if the system is early using 9mm fittings versus the common 10mm fittings. if the single circuit line are original, I would change them out.

Last edited:
right above the steering column where it goes thru the firewall, you'll see an extra hole, where the column shift rod would come thru

it seems rather odd that, to remove the booster to fit a large air cleaner and then change all the brake system to single circuit, would be alot more work than just getting an air cleaner to fit the application.

brakes may work great now, but if you lose 1 line or hose, you will have NO brakes at all.
So the metal tag would have been removed from another body and reattached to this body which would have been off another frame correct?

So the metal tag would have been removed from another body and reattached to this body which would have been off another frame correct?
The frame is showing to be a 72 so the brake lines would be a two system which means that somewhere on the frame the two systems would have be joined making it a single system correct

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom