Brake rebuild question. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm rebuilding my front calipers. I went to install the small oring that seals the 2 halves but found metal ones in the kit rather than rubber ones. Since they are larger than the pockets, do they go around those pockets? I thought about that possibly but I was thinking the halves wouldn't mate properly this way. Or would a nitrile oring from my oring kit work better?

Just as a sanity check, not all of the kits supply the small flat-sided o-rings for between the caliper halves. Are you confusing them with the copper crush washers that go on the banjo bolt?

Ah, actually I think your right.. DERP!! Had not thought about those. Thanks.
I'll check the kit again. Does anyone have the oem pn for that washer then?

Nope definately need a part number.

Just a question, why did you separate the caliper halves? Normally, these halves aren't included in the cylinder rebuild. My FSM says not to separate them; I'm an engineer and the only reason I can see for Toyota to have designed the caliper in two pieces is to make the piston cylinder machining easier/cheaper. I have rebuilt several and never split any. That's not saying that there's not a reason to, but you should be aware of the reinstallation torque values necessary for the connecting bolt installation. You don't want these two pieces coming apart.

All that being said, nitrile O-rings are compatible with hydraulic fluid, as a matter of fact, that's one of the uses they were designed for.

I assume this for your '93. When I need parts, I generally go to one of these sites; they're not complete with every part you'd need to build a car from the ground up, like the dealer catalogs, but they have 99% of what I've ever needed:
Parts catalog for Toyota Land Cruiser
http://toyotapartsestore.com/toyota-land_cruiser-parts/
CruiserParts.net, Toyota Landcruiser Parts
OEM TOYOTA LAND CRUISER Parts Online | Toyota Parts Overstock

The reason I included them is that they all use the standard Toyota parts catalog pages, complete with parts numbers, to list their wares.

Just to check myself, I called my dealer in Charlotte and he says that the only caliper parts he sees on the catalog lists (which is what I can see on the links above) is a rebuild kit. The individual components have parts numbers, but they aren't listed in the catalog.

BTW, have the Canadians started showing up for spring break yet?

I just rebuilt my front calipers and the Carlson (what I used) and Dorman kits both contain the internal o-rings. Look them up on Rock Auto and you'll see. I thought the 'Mud consensus was that the dealer didn't have this part available. I didn't feel the need to split my calipers for the rebuild though.

I had a Piston stick tight. I had to drill a hole in it and run a tap in it to jack the piston out. Beside that I usually and did with these use a cylider hone to clean up the bores. Both these required splitting the halves. I would have reserved the ring had i know this kit did not have them as the kit I used years ago on my V6 Taco calipers on my Sammy came with the rings.Had I known they were going to be this much trouble I would have just gotten remans.

I hear you. Not all of mine cooperated either. With all the rust here on the east, I'll probably go remans next time too. Good luck with the work you have left.

I'm rebuilding my front calipers. I went to install the small oring that seals the 2 halves but found metal ones in the kit rather than rubber ones. Since they are larger than the pockets, do they go around those pockets? I thought about that possibly but I was thinking the halves wouldn't mate properly this way. Or would a nitrile oring from my oring kit work better?

The caliper halves should not be taken apart according to Toyota.

The oring between the two halves is not serviced by any Toyota parts nor will they be found in the 04479-60020 front caliper rebuild kit.

Thanks everyone for the info.

In between the caliper is a rubber seal. Don't take apart unless needed. Try Get frozen pistons out. Try spinning first any pitting or plating doubt Chuck an get new pistons I did 3 of my 8. Pads are best priced on Amazon akebonos. Use 3m brake silcon or qrc purple stuff on rear slides. If you do the rears slide boot over top of piston an allow extra skirt to fit n caliper groove ring then slide piston n after mak sure both are seated .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom