Brake-Power steering tool (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been thinking of purchasing a power steering and brake flush tool. I been checking out the Motive bleeder model. Any familiar with it? What are you using?

This would be for lc100 and wife's accord cross.tour

I’ve been using one for a number of years now. I forget what “kit” I got, but it is fairly complete with a bunch of the adapters as I have a number of different vehicles - Toyota pickup & 4Runner, Saab 900, GMC Yukon, Chevy K2500, Mustang, etc.

Prior to the Motive Products, I had a MityVac. For the life of me, I couldn’t get that to work. No matter what I did, I’d still end up with spongy brakes and have to grab someone to do the “two-person method.”

The Motive Products bleeder is no trouble at all - or little trouble in some cases. I always have a bit of trouble getting the flat plate to seal to the rectangular reservoirs on the GMC and Chevy. You fasten it down with chains under the master cylinder and then tighten it down with wing-nuts. I always have to tighten, loosen, wiggle, and retighten it a couple times before it gets a good seal. The Toyotas, Ford, and Saab are much easier to seal. They’ve since gone to a metal plate instead of the plastic one I have. I may break down and order that to see if it works any better.

The only other issue is what to do when you’re finished as the reservoir is going to be COMPLETELY filled. I have a turkey baster I keep with the Motive Products stuff to siphon off a bit of fluid from the reservoir when I’m finished - to get it down to the point you can actually put the cap back on the reservoir. But you’re still going to spill some fluid when you take the Motive Products cap off. Just be sure to wash it down immediately (after sealing the reservoir) so the brake fluid doesn’t start to affect the paint. I haven’t been able to find any way to get around this issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom