Brake line upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My rusty 2005 Landcruiser is at Garden State Undercoating getting its under sides clean out. Whooo! At last! No space to do it in the back of my apartment. Chris the owner saw a leak in my brake lines. Since I am very new to this, I was wondering if its a good time to get the Slee kit to replace these brake lines?

This is the one I'm looking at. Is this the right part?

If it is, would this be something you get and bring to a trusted mechanic to fit on? I would love to learn how to do this myself, I just don't have the space nor mechanically inclined friends who can show me.

IMG_20210504_194516.jpg

I'm about to move to Chicago so I think stainless steel seems like a good choice.

Judging by your photo, I think the Slee SS brake kit is only going to be part of the solution. I have a feeling you might need to replace that hardline and the fittings where the slee kit would interface to.

If you don't wrench much, I think it would be best to let a shop you trust do this work. Good luck.

Judging by your photo, I think the Slee SS brake kit is only going to be part of the solution. I have a feeling you might need to replace that hardline and the fittings where the slee kit would interface to.

If you don't wrench much, I think it would be best to let a shop you trust do this work. Good luck.
Thanks for the info! I went onto partsouq to try to identify the parts that I would need. But I cant seem to find/see the hardline and fittings. Do you have any part numbers I can search for?

Enter your VIN on Partsouq and look at the category power train /chassis tab and youll find the Brake Tube and Clamp category for the diagram and part numbers of the brake system.

You need the hardline from the booster all the way back.

Can these be installed and weaved through and around frame without removing anything?
Yes. It’s not fun navigating the line around the gas tank, but it’s doable. Just have patience.

Why not just get the OEM flex hoses from Toyota since you’re getting the hard lines, too?
☝🏾That’s what I did when I replaced my hardlines and soft lines.

Most people likely have a local hydraulic/tube/hose shop where you can take in your soft lines, and they can quickly make high-quality (or upgraded) replacements on the spot for a good price. Just throwing it out there, it's nice being able to buy local when possible.

☝🏾That’s what I did when I replaced my hardlines and soft lines
Did you do it yourself? I'm wondering if I have to source all the parts first? Is there a place to get a kit with everything?

Most people likely have a local hydraulic/tube/hose shop where you can take in your soft lines, and they can quickly make high-quality (or upgraded) replacements on the spot for a good price. Just throwing it out there, it's nice being able to buy local when possible.
I just tried searching for hydraulic shop on google in NYC. Didn't see much. What would be the right search terms? I would love to support to local shops and get it fixed asap!

Thanks for all the response guys!

I just tried searching for hydraulic shop on google in NYC. Didn't see much. What would be the right search terms? I would love to support to local shops and get it fixed asap!
I searched "hydraulic hose shop queens ny" and got a few hits, top of the list: Matic Hydraulics, American Hose & Hydraulics Co, American Hydraulic Hose Repair. There are a bunch more: link to results

I searched "hydraulic hose shop queens ny" and got a few hits, top of the list: Matic Hydraulics, American Hose & Hydraulics Co, American Hydraulic Hose Repair. There are a bunch more: link to result
Thanks! Super! I'll call them up! My first result was american rock splitter and it threw me off.

Did you do it yourself? I'm wondering if I have to source all the parts first? Is there a place to get a kit with everything?
Yes I did it myself. Easiest way to source the parts is to go to partsouq.com, enter your VIN, and then look through the diagrams to get the part numbers. Then shop around for best prices. Definitely buy the hardline from your local Toyota dealer, though, because it might get damaged during shipping from somewhere else.

Just replaced all my brake hard lines. I had to install two splice flare coupling as there was no way I could route those long rear lines over the chassis without bending or breaking them. Here is a list of what I bought from Toyota, just under $500.00.

1A578567-149C-4225-B6AE-D28A2B9C7C23.jpeg

CC5574FE-7CF2-46E1-AC1B-22FB1E1C4BE8.jpeg

1D8B7647-C295-423E-8090-DABA3826DF94.jpeg

And I purchased the Slee flex lines to replace the old rubber hoses and boy are they top quality as you would expect from Slee, $200.00

Just replaced all my brake hard lines. I had to install two splice flare coupling as there was no way I could route those long rear lines over the chassis without bending or breaking them. Here is a list of what I bought from Toyota, just under $500.00.

View attachment 2666736

View attachment 2666737

View attachment 2666738
This is amazing! Thank you! I was wondering if I should get the slee lines. What are the pros and cons between OEM and Slee's?

I will be moving to Chicago. So its gonna be salty roads. Would the Slee version be more durable?

This is amazing! Thank you! I was wondering if I should get the slee lines. What are the pros and cons between OEM and Slee's?

I will be moving to Chicago. So its gonna be salty roads. Would the Slee version be more durable?
I live outside of Chicago and the salt on the roads is like something I’ve never send before. Would be happy to meet up and talk Toyota or assist in a wrenching project. Cost wise your not spending much more for the Slee lines. Aside from my rubber hoses being 20 years old and looking ugly, the could have probably went another 10 years. Some with the hard lines, they were ugly but when I cut them out wall thickness was not a concern due to the corrosion. Toyota material is top notch of course but I’ve always wanted a stainless braided covered line so went this route.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom