Brake Dust Removal Tips?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jaymar

SILVER Star
Threads
Have some brake dust buildup (more on front than rear) on Black Rock black matte satin wheels. Any tips for getting it off without damaging the finish? I'm finding conflicting advice online, mostly from folks trying to sell something... Thanks!

Last edited:
Buy different brake pads.

Power washer with soap isn't taking it off?

Well, yeah. Some sites say use a toothbrush, others a wheel brush, others cloth. Different sites recommend different chemicals or no chemicals. Some say using the wrong formulation will damage SOME wheel finishes.

So..wash with what, is the question... :)

You could remove the wheel and test whatever chemical on the back side...

Most wheel wash chemicals don't harm the wheel finish if you follow the directions.

The brake pads on my BMW leave a ton of residue and it comes off with regular car wash soap and hot water.

I buy this stuff by the gallon, works well. I also run it "rich" when mixing with a bucket of hot water (~130F).

The brake pads on my BMW leave a ton of residue and it comes off with regular car wash soap and hot water.

I buy this stuff by the gallon, works well. I also run it "rich" when mixing with a bucket of hot water (~130F).

View attachment 1973474
Worked like a charm, cold water too. Thanks!

Power washer with soap isn't taking it off?
Wouldn''t that abrade the hell out of it if bullt-up dust is not removed beforehand? Or am I overthinking? (This is actually the first time I've had wheels I plan to "keep nice.")

Last edited:
Power washing won't hurt the finish.
Even when there's brake dust all over it?
My knowledge is very uneven at this point.
(Modified Q above.)

Even when there's brake dust all over it?
My knowledge is very uneven at this point.
(Modified Q above.)
As long as you don't place the spray nozzle right against it and remove any clear coat as well....

Get a lambs wool wash mitt, go to the local carwash to use their pressure washer, spray it with soap and water high pressure, then soak your wash mitt in the same, scrub with wash mitt, then pressure wash off again. Rinse with clean soft water and will have no spots!

Just wash the wheels already and move on with life!!!! I wish my biggest concern with my Cruiser at the moment was how to clean the wheels!

Just wash the wheels already and move on with life!!!! I wish my biggest concern with my Cruiser at the moment was how to clean the wheels!
It's not. Going into the shop for panhard bushing replacement. Work gloves sliding around on brake dust-coated wheels can't be good. Call it PM. :)

Lol. I just hated to think you were getting off too easy with Cruiser ownership!

If you want to read the 'ih8mud' of car detailing check out autopia.org it's the best site for the detailing enthusiast in my opinion.

Lol. I just hated to think you were getting off too easy with Cruiser ownership!

If you want to read the 'ih8mud' of car detailing check out autopia.org it's the best site for the detailing enthusiast in my opinion.
Yeah, have to confess I've always kinda thought those guys out there washing and waxing every weekend were a bit, well...something I didn't wanna be. (No offense to anyone here, of course.) But that ain't a road I see myself going down.

Then again--the rust-colored wheel dusting did look like hell.

Maybe that road starts with baby-steps, and before you know it some kid's looking out his window at you, thinking "Man, that's never gonna be me..." :cautious:

Last edited:
I used to wash and wax my Studebaker every week. Got to the point I basically had rubbed the paint off of it......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom