Brake Booster Leak Temporary Fix (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey my little darlings, I need to steal some brilliance from ya. I have a 78 FJ40 2F. I have a vacuum leak where the MC goes into the brake booster (my brake booster has that small little notch right above the plate where the two meet and you can feel the leak right there). I'm fairly certain it is just going to be a gasket/seal that's old, but my plan is to redo the majority of the brake system at the same time. With that, it is going to take me just a little bit to get the funds and parts together so I am looking to see if there is something I can use to seal that leak temporarily so I have brake assist. I have seen some guys post about using silicone or weld but I'm brand new to tearing apart trucks so I am not sure what is fine to use and what is just dumb. So - any help - I would appreciate ya for.

Vacuum should not be present at the joint between the MC and the booster. If you have a vacuum leak at the joint, your booster needs repair.

There is a guy in Portland Oregon, Booster Dewy who may be able to rebuild the booster for you.
I had him do one for an earlier landcruiser. No complaints.
It was returned looking like a new unit for about $160

Not affiliated with this outfit, just a happy customer.
Booster Dewey Power Brake Booster Exchange Inc.

Believe this style is no longer being rebuilt. This the double diaphragm style. Do a search and should find a thread just on this booster and where you can get a replace or what other boosters would work.

What LITP wrote is correct.

More importantly, your Master Cylinder has already failed. The odds are really strong that a Fluid leak caused the booster to fail.

IOW, your truck is not safe to drive. Please do not drive your truck.

Vacuum should not be present at the joint between the MC and the booster. If you have a vacuum leak at the joint, your booster needs repair.

I pulled the MC off yesterday and found that the rubber ring on the BB where the two connect has a small tear in it and that's where the vacuum is coming through. I know sending it to get rebuilt is what needs to happen - but I'm feeling like a spoiled brat who doesn't want to give up her toy for the time it takes to send it off. Thank you Doug - I'm going to try and give him a shout and see if he can do some magic.

I pulled the MC off yesterday and found that the rubber ring on the BB where the two connect has a small tear in it and that's where the vacuum is coming through. I know sending it to get rebuilt is what needs to happen - but I'm feeling like a spoiled brat who doesn't want to give up her toy for the time it takes to send it off. Thank you Cleg - I'm going to try and give him a shout and see if he can do some magic.

As several mentioned... It doesn't look like the double diagaphram boosters are being rebuilt ... Booster's page only mentions FJ40 '71-'75... Please let us know if you learn differently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom