Bought 1977 fj40 - has a couple strange things going on with it (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok so I have been searching for an fj for a long time and this one seemed to fit my budget and cleanliness. But im just not too sure it it's too good to be true. Original 6 4 on the floor, the guy said he bought it from the original owner but the frame was a filial fiber glass frame. It's on brand new tires and rims original front and back seats but fiberglass frame also extends to he dash where there's only a gauge cluster and four pulls. Washer, air pull, hazard, and choke. Also the front brakes were converted to disc. What I'm looking to do is get a new softop, rear bench seats for the kids, and make it an awesome dd.

Front discs were stock in '76 and later.

if it has a fiberglass frame, run away. if it's a fiberglass tub that's not as bad.
pictures tell a better story.

I'm sorry I meant fiber glass tub and hood. but on the dash it didn't look in anyway stock. It has outlines where everything was supposed to be. When I get a handle I'll send over some pics. The guy wanted 7k for the truck. It's at my mechanics right now to check it out.

Yes, post pics here before you buy. Lots of detail pics.

Rear discs are nice from an "ease of maintenance" standpoint, but not absolutely necessary.

Well that would explain why they are there.
Should I replace the rear brakes too.

Looks like a decently done Malotte tub. How is the frame? You won't have to worry about body rust. My Blue one is a Malotte. Works just fine for me.

A few different companies have made fiberglass bodies over time, and their level of detail (and quality) will vary. That's why your dash looks funny. A 77 US-market dash would have many more knobs than you mentioned...
Your tub doesn't have the kick vents, nor are the louvers (for the fresh air intake for the blower motor) cut out..
$7k may not be an unreasonable price, depending on what the rest of the truck looks like.

Looks like a decently done Malotte tub. How is the frame? You won't have to worry about body rust. My Blue one is a Malotte. Works just fine for me.
The frame is in decent condition. It has a custom made front bumper, rear bumper, existing heater that's not hooked up. Existing ac not hooked up. Power steering that's leaking. And a brand new set of Cooper 35x12 tires and rims.

A few different companies have made fiberglass bodies over time, and their level of detail (and quality) will vary. That's why your dash looks funny. A 77 US-market dash would have many more knobs than you mentioned...
Your tub doesn't have the kick vents, nor are the louvers (for the fresh air intake for the blower motor) cut out..
$7k may not be an unreasonable price, depending on what the rest of the truck looks like.

The frame is in decent condition. It has a custom made front bumper, rear bumper, existing heater that's not hooked up. Existing ac not hooked up. Power steering that's leaking. And a brand new set of Cooper 35x12 tires and rims.

What I'd like to do is put on a full bench seat in the back and full roll cage from redline. Also I'd like to add on a safari top as long as all the enchant a don't run my account dry. Anyway to do that and not blow my saving on brand new aftermarket parts. Anyone in NJ, NY, PA, or CT have any of these parts ?

Drive it see how you like it. Then do your mods.
The Trail Max II seat is nice and would be safer for kids. That would be my first Mod assuming your mechanic chec

"Checked off the safety stuff like brakes"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom