Bob's Drawer Project for the GX460 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As mentioned in other threads, I am on the Quest to build a good drawer system for my 2017 GX. Many of you have posted up your amazing setups that look really great, but I thought I would show my progress on my own interpretation based on our needs. I'm not typically doing weeklong overlanding trips (maybe someday), but more the day or two of running mountain/high desert roads/trails, Christmas tree hunting or rough fishing access "roads", target practicing, kayaking, camping or just hauling construction materials or going to home depot.

Here is a list of considerations that will go into it.

1) Approx 8"-9" of drawer height (to match the height of the rear seats folded down)
2) Flat heavy duty carpeted deck surface (for ice chest, dog bed, dump runs, home depot, etc)
3) Tie downs (thinking recessed track with moveable d rings) *need to keep those groceries from spilling :)
4) Open space on either side of deck from the wheel wells back (approx 6" on left and right side to access Jack, inverter and store extra oil, paper towels, etc). Could use some removeable covers
5) Locking drawers with nice quality hardware (HD drawer slides - soft close)
6) Wood Drawer Fronts with good tough coating, recessed back enough to allow for fold down table on rear door
7) Slide out work surface in one of the drawers
8) Bottle opener?
9) Storage wall part way up left (drivers side) or possibly Molle attachment panel (likely items attached here are a roll of paper towels, snow shovel, Ice scraper/brush, first aid kit, fire extinguisher with clamp mount, and hat holder
10) Hidden storage in front of drawers for long items (accessible behind back seats). This worked well for me in the 470, but I would like to improve it if I can.

I tended to use my old system in this way;
Left Drawer - tools/repair kits, jumper cables, recovery gear, small compressor, epoxy mixing, duct tape, electrical repair, tie down straps, bungees, spray oil, leather gloves, etc
Right Drawer - misc camping supplies (stove/cooking, drill/driver/battery, towing items, hatchet, hammer, tarp, bivy bag, fire starting,
Left Side by Jack Storage - paper towels, spare oil, window cleaner, gas additive,
Right Side Storage - two small backpacking chairs, fire extinguisher, Ham antenna when off
In storage bin on left - Bag of emergency survival supplies, Freeze dried food
Hidden Storage in front - CB antenna, long items (fishing rod, etc)

old drawer system...
1595355588009.png
1595355622828.png
1595355699384.png
1595355753632.png
1595355848900.png

On my previous GX470, I built my drawer system without seeing too many other builds yet and did some things I liked and then wished I would have done other things.
Things I liked;
  • plenty of height in the drawers
  • soft close HD sliders
  • carpeted top matched up with seats when folded down (great for lumber or large item hauling)
  • room on sides for misc items and access to Jack
  • hidden storage in front (behind rear seats)
things I didn't like;
  • drawers did not have lock or handles (with the drawer loaded it sometimes opened and banged against the back door when accelerating or going up a hill)
  • drawer fronts were not finished
  • no tie downs (refilling propane cylinders is one thing that just doesn't travel well without a tiedown)
  • no work surface (either a slide out in the drawer or above the drawer)
  • needs an additional area to cook or prep things (probably a rear door fold down table would solve)

The new drawers in the GX460 will take a while to plan out and I still need to remove the 3rd row seats, but can't wait to get drawers in. It may have been my favorite thing (ok maybe tied with the lifted suspension/bigger tires/ trail lights and the Ham radio). But I am constantly whining about not having drawers... I really hate being somewhere and find myself needing something and remember "Crap, I don't have that in this rig yet".

Once I get the seats out I will have to measure the width for the box (so I can order the drawer boxes). If anyone has any measurements of side to side between wheel wells with the rear seats removed, let me know and it will give me something to use for planning purposes. I will post up pictures on progress as I go and hopefully this helps others looking to tackle this same project.

Onward we go...Wish me luck

Last edited:
C.jpg
C1.jpg
D.jpg
D1.jpg

The last measurement is from the back edge to the plastic cover on the seat bracket. The seats are in the furthest back position...I think, and then the clearance reduces the higher you go because of the angle of the seats.

Let me know if you'd like be to check anything else.

I'm in the same boat as you and am working on a design for storage with refrigerator in the back.

Perfect Thank you. That is a big help.

So sorry it has taken me this long on this one... But it looks like I am finally taking out the third row seats this next week and having someone that has cabinet making experience help me cut/assemble the plywood (actually straight/square) and then we should have drawers in the next couple of weeks. Of all the things in my GX, not having drawers is driving me crazy. Stuff just sliding around and looking all disheveled, it's a damn disgrace.

Couple of questions... I am looking for drawer pull/latches and also some good tie downs to install. Anyone have suggestions for either? For the latches, I am looking for something that is clean looking, maybe powder coated black. I like the round slam latches, but they are only 2" diameter. Hoping for something easy to use and looks cool of course (locks are not needed but I would consider them). On the tie downs, I am looking for something to recess into the top plywood. I have seen a track from Ironman and a few that are just d rings that swivel up when needed. Let me know if anyone has suggestions. And I hope everyone has a nice holiday with their loved ones (and maybe not think about Covid for a day or two).

For the drawer pull handles, I would prefer just a cutout, either an oval or hole that I can put my fingers in to pull open. Easy peasy. Less cost, nothing to protrude out, if done correctly it also looks nice and clean.
For latches and such take a look at McMaster-Carr:

Look around in there. This is my go-to for most things, even though I may find it in McMaster-Carr, I'll often purchase it with Amazon for quicker delivery and sometimes better price.

I use jeep style paddle latches. They're cheap, you can get them in pairs keyed together, slam to close and easy one handed opening. I would get a locking latch because there are times you want to keep things inside secure, like if you valet park (it's a Lexus after all) or carwash, etc.

1608752690271.png

One thing i would change on my drawers is to add a trap door on top to get to the contents without opening the rear door. There are times when towing that I can't open the door, so being able to access things would have been handy. I also thought about shortening the drawer and using the back part near the second row as a hatch style compartment to store items I don't really need quick access to. For one thing, shorter drawer slides are much cheaper and easier to get, and I don't always like opening a 3 foot drawer all the time.

I like the "shut-n-latch" of those handles!

thanks guys... yes I do like the paddle style latches and I had the same thought and am going to shorten the drawers a bit to give some hidden storage behind the second row seats. Maybe I can find some powder coated versions of those latches

These don't seem like a perfect fit, but I've had them for two years and have no plan for them, so would happily send them your way for cost of shipping:

Keyed alike, meant for more a RV door thus have interior handle grips and locks, but are black, capable of slamming them shut, locking, etc. I think I lost the weather seal on one of them.

That is really nice of you... Not sure I would put those types in (I have that type on my trailer door and they have the large flange on the inside), but give me some time to think it over. If I do it, I can do more than just shipping though. Thanks again... time and time again, GX folks are just good people

We love to see these builds because we want to hear what is important to the customer.

Our Big Country 4x4 drawers from South Africa tick a lot of your boxes, by design we try to use as much space as possible to the door trim (our FJ drawer even has a slanted drawer face to match the dramatic FJ door trim slope) so we will be making a super low profile rear door flip down table that works with their drawer system - but the drawer does have a flip-up work surface already (can be moved from left to right drawer).

We do have a group buy right now with 30% discounts on a pre-order basis. we would love to hear your feedback on the product and of course we will follow your build to see how it comes along!

Sorry to necro this thread.

Bob, What did you end up doing with your drawer setup? I have similar desires as you and am looking into drawers for my new rig.

I see you're in LA. You should check out @overlanderwoodworks on instagram. He's in Irvine and can make anything you want.
Holy crap you’re the best. I really don’t want to do this myself and it look like butt. And I’m not looking to drop $2k on a “drawer system.” Just give me 2 drawers and a platform…

I see you're in LA. You should check out @overlanderwoodworks on instagram. He's in Irvine and can make anything you want.
I can’t thank you enough for pointing me in his direction. His stuff is so freaking sick and infinitely better than anything off the shelf AND I don’t have to install it myself.

Glad to help. Yeah, he can go as simple or as complex as you want and I think his prices are pretty fair. I love mine. 👍🏽

At first I kind of scoffed at the price, then realized that he's only like a couple hundred bucks more for a completely bespoke solution completely installed rather than an off the shelf solution that I have to mess with. I"ll gladly drop my truck off and pick it up ready to go for only a couple hundred more. And I'm sure I could build one, but it would be so jank and I'd have to buy more tools that I wouldn't really use much for a few years at least.

I will also vouch for the quality and service of overlanderwoodworks.
We had him build a custom (4runner) setup with a table and thin drawer for solar panels.
After building my own setup in my GX last year, I can appreciate all the work that goes into these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom