Blue Sea Fuse Box Mounting options etc (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sleepycruiser

I will get by….I will survive -Touch of Grey LC200
Threads
I want to go ahead and get a Blue Sea fuse box so I don't have to worry about power sources anymore. I have searched some threads and found some good info. Where do most people mount these? Seems like it would be easier adding on things if it was mounted under the hood rather than under the dash, but I don't know. I also have seen some under the center console.

I found this thread and looks like a good idea to install relays and a circuit breaker.
12-Circuit "Switched" Fuse Block (Installation w/ pics) - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum

In that thread he cut the common bus so he had 2 sides that are separate....now Blue Sea sells a box that is already separated. Should I be concerned with having separate banks? For now I will only be using the box for small accessories (USB switches, etc) but later I am sure I will get some type of lighting and whatever else you guys convince me that I 'need'. ;)

I don't really need the version with a ground bc I will just ground each accessory wherever is convenient during installation.

Blue Sea Systems 5029 Fuse Block Screw Term Blade Amazon.com : Blue Sea Systems 5029 Fuse Block Screw Term Blade : Sports & Outdoors

I ran #4 awg up into my custom center console and mounted a six position blue sea box in there. This runs off of my 2nd battery. I really like the location as it seems most of my wiring ends up coming through the firewall into the cab for whatever it is that I'm running. Now I just run wire from the box, out the bottom of the console, and to whatever I want to power. Currently it runs an inverter and my 2m radio.

Mine is located in the driver foot well.
g9OSvgQib0_7YohUV8dwX4WlpAMOFy7vpQKkBRsm_zlBZS0erU4iigjJB62d48cLG1MNMrUn84zUIUQqfYtoegJGgAHzvFIHJrUP3M3MvzdjT-FZdiy4mYOAYbx-R5zG5Zhkbdq5HsdSgE7Mh6P5kqGuASfiVodugQ_T6J_0Z5fKuTKiACOQOGr6gfh2FcMBxd966WNvD8n33GzyGghtV_hvzYGHjdeHJYFICLIOtMZbrkIZBUxATe3uOKGC3yuz9HZIIAZqCn2SP8HbFhJkyZA0otxzsge9X370BuZp3nnQL9t7QfOuG9C1hxrYJOItesuKFgpUBFt2yoc2yYXLhe9jegfPl6vJYPRemMXkmKQSYWezgJwEGAxus_NtWTkDAc3_YF4yoVvVsEZV1VVmrzNckiebsfFW6FJzmZphtOmzmchrhD9NmcxsUea6m1nQ2w1_goyLWSHpk_JCU551lg0BVAeG9_22vbrpC3RlC2oOTjJL3WuNwPuZ2GZKDAcqakPVTDDU3ybCUw1buF7Bdy_7dgXKsJwUTLDiQ22kJZPAP6dxAYqgxybRVQnGZUdMTRUmmWsqJhkvmfo8hr_TtigEFezJjGghurre8iJu3uODbe6OLWZG=w750-h422-no

Fairly common to mount it on the plastic cover for the cruise control. That's where I mounted mine. And I stole @NLXTACY idea for the metal piece to hold the 80 amp breaker. One could probably mount the breaker and fuse panel on that piece but I needed somewhere to mount my solar controller.

Check out @NLXTACY thread on where he ran a fuse panel inside. He used someone else's idea but his thread is very detailed. I wish I had done that as well.

IMG_3024.JPG

One thing I will say is that I almost went with a six space panel. I went 12 and regretted it. At first. Thought it was too big. I have 7 spaces filled as of today. Glad I went bigger.

I wish I got the 12 as well but had this one kicking around. I built the bracket big enough to swap over if needed.

Pico I believe. Same as the Bussmann

Just read the link you posted. Personally I am not worried about mine being ignition powered. I hate not being able to turn things on when I want to. So mine is direct off my aux battery, that way I wont kill the truck accidentally.

The nice thing about the split power buss is you can run one ign powered and one direct, and also split the current load up. Gives you some options. If you decide you don't want it split, a short chunk of wire can fix that.

There is another option which is all in one, Bussmann RTMR. There is one helluva writeup on Tacoworld about it. Fuses and relays all in 1 nice tidy little package.
DIY - Build and install a Bussmann RTMR Fuse/Relay Block

Last edited:
I always run extra grounds rather than trust OEM frame or body grounds. Toyotas often have issues with grounds in the OEM circuitry so I prefer to be proactive. If you see yourself adding varied electrical items in the dash area do yourself a favor while you are running lines through the firewall add an 8 gauge ground wire directly to the battery. You can either add a ground pole somewhere convenient and out of sight or use an existing bolt.

If you really want to tighten up your electric, start with grounds. When I do a swap, all new battery cables are part of it. Grounds include 1/0 from -BAT to frame,engine block,body (this one is a ground pole near battery) Also 4 gauge from block to body at fire wall, 8 gauge to dash area and 10 gauge back to in tank fuel pump, this on also has pig tail to the frame at the fuel filter/regulator area.

Pico I believe. Same as the Bussmann

Just read the link you posted. Personally I am not worried about mine being ignition powered. I hate not being able to turn things on when I want to. So mine is direct off my aux battery, that way I wont kill the truck accidentally.

The nice thing about the split power buss is you can run one ign powered and one direct, and also split the current load up. Gives you some options. If you decide you don't want it split, a short chunk of wire can fix that.

There is another option which is all in one, Bussmann RTMR. There is one helluva writeup on Tacoworld about it. Fuses and relays all in 1 nice tidy little package.
DIY - Build and install a Bussmann RTMR Fuse/Relay Block

I had replaced a Blue Sea box with one of the RTMR units in my last vehicle, and that is definitely the route i will be taking again. Really nice little package that looks like it belongs under the hood of a vehicle.

IMG_3604.PNG

What circuit breaker is that?

I used the Blue Sea breaker. Mainly because it isn't made in China. And because Joey said to buy that one. Haha

Thanks guys. Going to get everything figured out and place an order soon.

I think the Blue Sea ones are made by Bussman, and so you might find the same breakers from sources like Waytek or Del City. An excellent product either way.

And yep, the side of the passenger seat makes a great spot to mount the fuse box. Easy to access and out of the way.

Im going to try to fab up a bracket similar, do you have to put a 100Amp beaker before the fuse block? I have the 12 fuse block and 12 place bus bar

Not really required for such a short piece. I put it in because I am planning on running a secondary feed to the rear of the truck for other odds and ends one day. That and with that breaker it gives me the opportunity to disconnect all auxiliary circuits with one button.

Reactions: RFB
I want to go ahead and get a Blue Sea fuse box so I don't have to worry about power sources anymore. I have searched some threads and found some good info. Where do most people mount these? Seems like it would be easier adding on things if it was mounted under the hood rather than under the dash, but I don't know. I also have seen some under the center console.

I found this thread and looks like a good idea to install relays and a circuit breaker.
12-Circuit "Switched" Fuse Block (Installation w/ pics) - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum

In that thread he cut the common bus so he had 2 sides that are separate....now Blue Sea sells a box that is already separated. Should I be concerned with having separate banks? For now I will only be using the box for small accessories (USB switches, etc) but later I am sure I will get some type of lighting and whatever else you guys convince me that I 'need'. ;)

I don't really need the version with a ground bc I will just ground each accessory wherever is convenient during installation.

Blue Sea Systems 5029 Fuse Block Screw Term Blade Amazon.com : Blue Sea Systems 5029 Fuse Block Screw Term Blade : Sports & Outdoors
I literally just bought this exact fuse box a half hour ago on amazon. The same link you reference. I have very limited knowledge on electrical applications so I'm trying to find as much info as possible on this forum. One mudder mounted his under the passenger seat, attached to the heater core shield.

Reactions: RFB
This type of breaker is a simple design but I had a local mudder with three defective Chinese made ones. Drove me nuts because I didn't suspect the breakers.
man i wish you had a bracket fabbed up for the breaker blue sea and such

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom