Blackstone Oil Report Repository - Share Your 2UZ Reports (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If I have lets say 10 for iron at 10k miles and see 5 for iron at 5k miles, isnt the wear exact the same and there is no benefit to changing the oil at 5k?

Almost. My thought is that fine particles of iron are not a positive thing to be floating in your oil as they move through your bearings. IE, you'd rather have 0PPM iron than 20. While the rate of wear over the course of the change may not be significant, long term wear due to increased levels of iron in your oil might be detrimental.

That being said, Blackstone folks seem to be far more concerned with lead and the lubrication properties of the oil. Neither of which seem to be problematic before ~7k+ miles for most vehicles shown so far.

Almost. My thought is that fine particles of iron are not a positive thing to be floating in your oil as they move through your bearings. IE, you'd rather have 0PPM iron than 20. While the rate of wear over the course of the change may not be significant, long term wear due to increased levels of iron in your oil might be detrimental.

That being said, Blackstone folks seem to be far more concerned with lead and the lubrication properties of the oil. Neither of which seem to be problematic before ~7k+ miles for most vehicles shown so far.

Ahh that makes sense. Its not just the wear rate its also the degradation of components as a result of running contaminated oil for longer periods of time.

Ill be changing my oil at 5k miles next, as opposed to 10k miles and see what kind of results i get.

Most all of these trucks have almost 0 oil burn over such long intervals. That is amazing to see over an increasingly large sample size. These engines are just amazing.

If they were really concerned, wouldn't they recommend a lower oil change interval? My iron particles were the second highest of any oil test so far and they told me to go more miles with the interval. I suspect that this might be a non issue that our engineer brains are seeing simply because it is the biggest issue in the oil test.

Most all of these trucks have almost 0 oil burn over such long intervals. That is amazing to see over an increasingly large sample size. These engines are just amazing.

If they were really concerned, wouldn't they recommend a lower oil change interval? My iron particles were the second highest of any oil test so far and they told me to go more miles with the interval. I suspect that this might be a non issue that our engineer brains are seeing simply because it is the biggest issue in the oil test.

I got the same they said i could go from 10k to 12k

Yeah, totally. A quick Google search shows iron limits around 100-200 ppm. We're all well below that and Blackstone hasn't seemed too concerned so I'm sure it's fine at the quantities we're seeing.

If we can get a report from a poorly running engine or one that later had bearing failure that might recalibrate expectations a bit. If only more 2uz's failed... Hah!

1. Damage/Neglect: Nothing that I'm aware of
2. Motor Oil/Filter: Mobil One High Mileage (I think)/WIX
3. Change interval: 6.7k miles

blackstone.PNG

After some research online, I moved away from Mobil One and switched to Amsoil. Excited to see how that's doing ont he next test in a few months.

2. Motor Oil/Filter: Mobil One High Mileage (I think)/WIX
3. Change interval: 6.7k miles

View attachment 2508115

After some research online, I moved away from Mobil One and switched to Amsoil. Excited to see how that's doing ont he next test in a few months.

Why did you decide to move away from Mobil One and goto Amsoil?

Why did you decide to move away from Mobil One and goto Amsoil?

I was buying some of their gear oil because of their squeeze containers (super worth it) and I looked into their oil while I was there. Synthetic Oil Protection has some incredible videos on Youtube, but they seem to be advertisments, so it's hard to trust the results. Project Farm however has awesome unbiased research, and that convinced me. We'll see if any difference is noticed in my future test results, probably won't see anything.

Let the record also show that I switched to Amazon oil my IS350. Slightly better performance than the MobilOne I was using and way cheaper. Also, I'm about done with that car, not going to hang onto it much longer - it's 200k+ and I've had it for 5 years.

Big picture though - I reckon as long as your oil change intervals are in the manufacturer's specs, it shouldn't make too much of a difference what you use if it's modern synthetic.

I was buying some of their gear oil because of their squeeze containers (super worth it) and I looked into their oil while I was there. Synthetic Oil Protection has some incredible videos on Youtube, but they seem to be advertisments, so it's hard to trust the results. Project Farm however has awesome unbiased research, and that convinced me. We'll see if any difference is noticed in my future test results, probably won't see anything.

Let the record also show that I switched to Amazon oil my IS350. Slightly better performance than the MobilOne I was using and way cheaper. Also, I'm about done with that car, not going to hang onto it much longer - it's 200k+ and I've had it for 5 years.

Big picture though - I reckon as long as your oil change intervals are in the manufacturer's specs, it shouldn't make too much of a difference what you use if it's modern synthetic.

Very agreed with that last sentence. All the full synthetics seem to be stellar now.

Here's mine.

Very few miles driven because of quarantine. Also my commute is very short, 10 minutes city drive.
Oil was 1 year old.
Mobil 1 full synthetic High mileage. 5W30
The first sentence is in reference to a note I sent them that the oil looked thicker when I pull it out.

SmartSelect_20201128-160427_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

calm down. We need more data. A lot more. I see a few outliers skewing the data. Keep collecting.

I experienced the BMW S85 motor ownership and escaped with no (bearing) wear over 50k miles and five years. Now THOSE were some interesting oil analysis conversations.

I expect this thread to be uber-boring in comparison (a good thing).

:popcorn:

1998 Lx470

2. Motor Oil/Filter: Mobil One Full synthetic / Toyota oil filter
3. Change interval: 8k but will try 4K now

4D3A4261-398B-435E-A1DA-06EFDC64C902.jpeg

These numbers scare me a little bit! I’m going to drop my oil change mileage interval and see if that helps my metal numbers.

Better late than never

1. Damage/Neglect: None
3. Change interval: this test was on 6750ish. Oil before this oil change was roughly 2 years old with approx 1k miles. I'm attributing the high iron from lots of idling and short trips from the previous owner. My 6750ish was done in 13 days.

oil.png

Last edited:
1998 Lx470

View attachment 2512587
These numbers scare me a little bit! I’m going to drop my oil change mileage interval and see if that helps my metal numbers.
Potential bearing wear! Oh no! If this was on 10W-60 oil and a BMW S-series engine, the world would be ending and you'd be rushing an order for new bearings and making time to replace them pronto.

But alas, this is not a BMW S-series engine, and it has 250k+ miles. Ho hum :steer:

1998 Lx470

View attachment 2512587

FWIW, my 99 had even higher levels on my first test (both per mile and overall). Each subsequent test had lower and lower levels. 13k after the spike in my first report, iron was down to normal and lead was about halved.

Have you done any towing? Any really long previous change intervals (say 10k+)?

FWIW, my 99 had even higher levels on my first test (both per mile and overall). Each subsequent test had lower and lower levels. 13k after the spike in my first report, iron was down to normal and lead was about halved.

Have you done any towing? Any really long previous change intervals (say 10k+)?

I saw that your metal levels went down and that is giving me great hope! It would not surprise me if the previous owner went extended periods without changing the oil. It was just a secondary car for him and he didn’t seem to be on top of maintenance. I will keep this post updated with my subsequent oil changes and tests.

This is awesome. Great data so far. @suprarx7nut have you asked Blackstone if they're willing to share any of their data? Or cut it in ways that you request so they wouldn't need to give up their source data? I have to imagine they have all this in a database already and possibly sell it off to OEM's who are interested. Just thinking of ways to get at the actual data versus rely on people uploading their results.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom