Black tar on trunk floor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi I just pulled my trunk carpet out to put a new one in. There are some patches of black rubber or tar on the floor (which I guess is sound insulation). Most of it is still hard but some has become soft / sticky. The old carpet was stuck to it in some places and I guess the new carpet will become stuck to it. So the questions are:
- What is this for - sound insulation? I saw something in the 60 series that this tar was for sound insulation.
- Can I remove this without any consequence (at least the parts that has become soft/sticky). It looks like it will come of with a plastic scraper.
- Or alternatively is there a way of repairing it i.e. making it solid again?

Many thanks,
Chris

Likely soft in heat areas. Sound deadening usually. Remove easily with dry ice. Place dry ice on area, leave for 15 mins. Strike with mallet to shatter tar layer.

Thanks, I will try to get hold of some dry ice. This tar is pretty messy, strange solution to insulation (I am in Spain and it is middle of the summer which I guess is why it is melting). So nobody thinks there will be a problem with noise if it is removed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom