Black Smoke underload on my BJ-74 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

black smoke in diesel engines are diesel .. of bad air filter .. anycase, more diesel than the engine can burn on the cilinders.

If you want a 24 volt pyro, then maybe you might be able to find one at a commercial truck shop. Try a Freightliner or Kenworth dealer parts shop. Isspro is a common name among those highway tractors, and are a good brand IMO.

-Kevin

I don't know what there is available in NFLD, but on your way back there are fairly large Volvo and Freightliner dealers in Truro, NS that you will drive right past. Or you can take your right foot out of it a bit and wait till you get home.

-Kevin

I did make it back from NFLD without any issues. I am watching my acceleration more now which seems to help the smoke. I typically did not accellerate hard anyway usually switching gears at around 2000 RPM. Unfortuantely my wife also drives my truck from time to time and she has a heavy foot. I have given her multiple warnings about driving The BJ differently than her car, however as many guys can contest, I am just as well to tell the wall how to drive my BJ versus the wife ... as I get the same result :mad: .

beanz2 said:
Todd, most pyrometers are not voltage dependent as the gauge is powered by the thermocouple, the probe you insert into the exhaust. The lighting bulb is voltage dependent of course. Some digital pyros are voltage dependent.

Dave

I have a mechanical pyro and it still requires 12v for the gauge, not sure why but needs it to work.

Cheers,

Michael

tlcruiserman said:
I have a mechanical pyro and it still requires 12v for the gauge, not sure why but needs it to work.

Cheers,

Michael

There's a signal amplifier circuit in most pyros that are meant to go on manifolds. The only purely mechanical pyro that I've been able to find can only be installed on heads and cannot measure really high temp. The 12V is needed for this circuitry.

Someone has mentioned the ISSPRO brand having a 24V model available. When I'm ready to put one in mine, I think I'm going to explore this option, just to keep everything 24V.

http://www.isspro.com/products.php?cat=65

I have those exact westach brand gagues on my snowmobile they do only need the power for the lights.

I love westach. They will make you custom gauges EXACTLY to your specifications for about the same price as autometer. Wanna your engine temp in Celcius, your Exhaust temp in Farenheight, and your oil temp in Rankin on the same gauge. No problem. No extra cost. Their core business is air certified gauges for air craft , so you know they gotta be dead simple and dead reliable gauges. Perfect for Cruiser heads, I would reckon.

Peter Straub

Those are awesome gauges .. ! 2 in 1 wou, never seen that before, but is a exelent idea .. in USA you can find this gauges . ? Westach

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom