Bj73 conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi i have a 88 mwb bj73 with a 3b engine and i’m looking to swap the engine in it, i’m thinking an ls1 or a better diesel (so any tips on that would be great) but i was wondering if the wheelbase was the same as a 80’s series landcruiser and if i could just swap the body’s instead?

Look for a 13BT which would bolt right in. Easy. 12V? 12HT will fit, but everything, motor mounts, and up including radiator
will need swapping. Those would be my 1st and then 2nd choice See Billyfj7312ht - one of the best conversions on the site.

@2fpower is right in the middle of swapping an LS into his BJ73. The conversion starts later in the thread but you can see what he is going through
It’s going to be far more fabbing and on your own opposed to the Toyota diesels.

Builds - Unicorns are real... My dream car FJ73 build

A 13BT, 14b, 15bft will all bolt in so to say And have the least amount of fab to get the engine to work. They are older engines outside the 15b series and less parts availability.

A 1HZ would essentially bolt in with the right motor mounts, and tranny input shaft swap would be needed along with some other things to make that happen. Great engine, could use more power from all accounts, tons of available parts as they are still making that engine.

A 12ht, 1hdft, fte setup would be really sweet with my least choice being the 12ht due to age and parts availability. Great engines.

An fzj80 is 10” longer than a BJ73. You could swap that frame, but unless you just want coils and a huge project, the 1FZFE will bolt in as well with new mounts and some tranny work.
A wits end turbo on a 1FZFE in a BJ73 would be pretty sweet and keep it all Toyota Which would be cool.

the LS is a good engine with huge aftermarket, but it’s going to take Probabaly the most fab work out of all of these.

First thing, whats your budget and goals? Roaring power, tourer, etc ?

how’s it going bro! haha the dream would be to keep up with my brother in his 79 lol. but reality for me is it’s my first truck and just really exploring the options that are out there. right now all i no of, is that need more guts and the tranny could be on its way. but love the truck and keen to get it moving and places!
budget i haven’t really thought about as once i know what i want to do ill work and save towards that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom