Bj70 redux (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Frame rails full of crap. Mostly dry flaky rust. Low spot packed solid. Had to chip it out rake it toward frame hole the remove with vac attachment I made from heater hose and reducer. Worked great!ground off weld and removed pan sprayed degreaser then blasted with hot water. Not much improvement. Back to the car wash.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Scored a fuel filter good old PR had 1 on the shelf. Ken got oil 30wt and will check over brakes steering etc. saw a gorgeous cruiser. Think he said 73 from Colombia. Car show quality resto. 40 grand worth of resto. Drives it on the street

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Put 30 wt oil in cleaned contact reconnected. Yay gauge works. New fuel filter filled with fresh diesel started perfect had I lil hiccup the purred along. Ken checked brakes need front pads that's it. Only. Steering issue is front stabilizer ends. The front seal as suspected is leaking. Po said it was just done.

Going to load up for a 200 km. cruise to a favourite hidden spot. Secret little waterfall and complete freedom for the dog. Will be a good shake down run. 30 km. of washed out mining trail to the most perfect natural campsite I've ever found. Then it's 4 days of exploring and walleye fishing. Reports are road is good except for loose boulders washouts and flooding. Can hardly wait!! Might go to Tooth lake for bass figure to drive in to there or Gem.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Pay day. Recovered funds laid out by dad. Dropped off $ for Gord re doors and seats. Also scored temp/altimeter dash pod. Ordered 2 stabilizer end links and front brake pads and got seal for the engine leak. So much cleaner under there now be nice to try to keep up with maintenance of it.

Checked all systems and it's time to test Ian's truck on mining roads and get to causeway where I drowned the red 60. Gave too much advice as usual on clutch play but he learned v well. Up n down on hills not letting it run away from him. Drives way too fast. 30 mph. on road so rough thought it might rattle apart the poor girl apart but new suspension sucked it up. Went to new spot set camp. Then to lodge. Met bushman renewed friendship got permission to camp on private land and stash fishing boat for future use. Caught walleye fast as could catch and release them. Kid learned what his truck cape able of was amazed it climbs like a goat. Then he was able to experiment with steep rough up and esp. down hill slopes. Showed him how to work all 3 pedals with 2 feet. He's learning how to take direction but always the spotters fault lol.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Got sat radio installed and new Kenwood deck. Wired up through a 24/12v converter. Master 12v did a nice clean job behind dash. The charge out let needs tweaking but that no biggie. It is p old. All went back together,vent looks ok but is in need of a touch of paint on side. Hopefully enuff space too mount turbo gauges.

Off to Ontario down decommissioned mining roads. Kids first solo trip was great shake down before 4week solo runn to Red Lake. Trip to Red took 5 hours burned 50$ fuel he gets paid 250$for driving not flying. Some rad fluid leak upon arrival. Don't know how much. Was told "not much to refill"he's been too busy to check. Glad the old girl made it. Turned over 450 000 km. Hard watching my boy go off solo. Will get on turbo/ gear locker set up

image.jpg

Got a report after 500km. trip. Some leakage of rad fluid upon arrival. But stopped on it's own after cooling down. Might be overflow. Too slow on hiway needs to be Reving higher in the band I think. Fuel economy be damned. Posted on forum seeking advice. See what others think.

After much debate and advice it seems what we want is a turbo before gears. Put the order into Simon but he's away until sept.9. Cost 3k+$. Fml. Ran it around red lake no leaks no issuestg.

After posting best 7 inch lite got many opinions. Looked a Softy's Speed Shop. Bought a semi sealed unit for $90/pr glass lense then bought 2 led conversion bulbs$100each. Also he can supply all parts for turbo install.

After posting best 7 inch lite got many opinions. Looked a Softy's Speed Shop. Bought a semi sealed unit for $90/pr glass lense then bought 2 led conversion bulbs$100each. Also he can supply all parts for turbo install.
went to M s market priced steel<$120-2x6x72in. Main bumper will be a sealed unit to act as aux oba resivoir.

image.jpg

Bought 78 inch 2x6 3/16 wall rect.tube $120 stated to lay out cuts for taper and bends. Will plasma cut when Simon gets back. Guess I'll make a template for the taper so it all matches. Will cut out 2 1/2 in square then weld in trailer receiver which can double as winch mount. Bumper will hold almost 6 cubic feet f oba. So far looks like ARB 24v compressor will do for air lockers and airing up

image.jpg

Installed new lights some minor mods on bucket. Had to cut new alignment slots. Wiring was tool less install. Drivers were direct plug n play. Dust caps needed trimming at the end to slip over bulb base. Tested them at night and they throw an awesome beam.

image.jpg

Started on turbo install. Exhaust off, except for 2 of 8 manifold bolts are broken and 2 won't move. Fml. Rad needs recore and front seal leaks badly so that's ️gettin done to.

Started the turbo install...
Subaru Impreza turbo,Volvo intercooler, bj74 exhaust manifold.
This is the 3rd 3B I've use the Impreza turbo and it worked pretty good...

IMG_3525.JPG

IMG_3526.JPG

Adaptor from Impreza turbo 3 bolts to 13BT manifold is done

IMG_3652.JPG

IMG_3664.JPG

The radiator was in bad shape,got it recored with a 4 row core

IMG_3667.JPG

To date. It lives!! New front seal intercooler / priming pump/ gauges/ turbo/oil pan gasket etcetera. Can hardly wait to see it run outside of the shop

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom