Bj70 redux (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The following will be a chronicle of a low buck
image.jpg
mostly DIY rebuild of a 1985 bj70.
My son wanted his first vehicle as college was done and work begun. As a geologist a rugged 4x4 was what he needed and wanted. On a whim I asked at TLC imports if they knew of anything, maybe a 4 runner. When I heard the owners bro in-law had a couple of land cruisers for sale I had to ask my son" what about a cruiser" off for a look see and a test drive the next day.

Truly ugly rusted out n worthless. Then ken told me the 70 for sale was in the garage where it lived. We dug it out from under life jackets kid toys and bags of insulation. Now this bj was worth a look! Ended up at 5500$.

image.jpg

Got it home with a blown brake line then into TLC for that repair. Two days later the safety tech took an informal look at it so I'd know the issues. Torn drivers seat,brake line, tires,4 shocks,sun visor and worst of all rust penetration in r rear wheel well.
Body integrity is not just a fail, it's off the road until I get it certified. Getting a body shop to do the repair is like a grand, not happening.
Pulled the wheel off after blocking the front and getting a good stand under the rear axle. Oh fml ! The whole was the size of a quarter above the stone shield. Not a big deal. Then I started exploring. 1/2 the tub was rotten and had to be cut away. Had to pull fuel filler assembly stone shield and pounds of tar,silicone and rocker gaurd 1/4 inch thick just to find weld able metal.

Start on the list. My son would be gone for 4 weeks and our plan was to have it to the point of getting a safety so it could be registered. I'd do the work he'd pay for parts. Hopefully he'd be driving it soon. Which would be good because his total time driving a standard was the test drive!
Shocks, missing bump stops would be covered by a new OME set up. Ordered heavy duty for the extra leaves then I'll eliminate 1 for a decent ride when loaded but still compliant enuff off road. Went over the rest of the truck found a couple of burned out bulbs had to wait a few hrs to get 24v ones but I found a much better supplier, across town of course. CTR also sourced rotors ncallipers for my 80series bonus!
Rear wiper and some minor adjust to head Lites and I couldn't stall any more. Time to pound sheet metal. What a chore. Spent a week on the driveway between rain storms grinding out crap and welding in all new metal. Then fit the carpet and side panels. Half of the panel clips are trashed or missing and the rear carpet strip is rusty.

This old girl needs help. 1 inch of travel in the front and shackles laid over so far it almost touches the tow hook. Rear has no bump stops until the shock bottoms out.
The front bumper must weigh 200lbs. It sticks out far enuff to mount the factory pto and an armchair! Fml it's all welded to the frame railshere comes an hour wi a plasma hour hour with a plasma cutter and a dayhour with a plasma cutter then grinding for 2-3 more.

image.jpg

image.jpg

This old girl needs help. 1 inch of travel in the front and shackles laid over so far it almost touches the tow hook. Rear has no bump stops until the shock bottoms out.
The front bumper must weigh 200lbs. It sticks out far enuff to mount the factory pto and an armchair! Fml it's all welded to the frame railshere comes an hour wi a plasma hour hour with a plasma cutter and a dayhour with a plasma cutter then grinding for 2-3 more.

View attachment 1483552

View attachment 1483553
So I'm hanging out at Simons shop and he says"y u not buy parts truck?""one in back go look " sure enuff 91 four door r hand drive turbo that some one taught the rollover trick to. There was lots of trim pieces left all the doors pwr windows licks etc. the project bj has a couple of rust spots on the back doors and a torn drivers seat. So they would be my first queries to the owner.
Seats?rear doors? Yeah sure he said. We agreed on 250$ for barn doors - gaskets and lic plate bracket. Then $100for the two seats. The passenger seat l side in the 91 becomes the new drivers in the l hand 85. Direct bolt in. Will do safety

image.jpg

image.jpg

So I'm hanging out at Simons shop and he says"y u not buy parts truck?""one in back go look " sure enuff 91 four door r hand drive turbo that some one taught the rollover trick to. There was lots of trim pieces left all the doors pwr windows licks etc. the project bj has a couple of rust spots on the back doors and a torn drivers seat. So they would be my first queries to the owner.
Seats?rear doors? Yeah sure he said. We agreed on 250$ for barn doors - gaskets and lic plate bracket. Then $100for the two seats. The passenger seat l side in the 91 becomes the new drivers in the l hand 85. Direct bolt in. Will do safety

View attachment 1483576

View attachment 1483579

The donor has doors but they don't include gaskets. See thread on what do with your 70 this week

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Great looking truck!!

Should be a great truck for your son!!

Did you really intend to post your thread in the Veterans' Highway?

You would likely get more interest in 70-Series Tech ... And probably some really good suggestions/help as well.

At any rate, welcome!!

No I didn't intend to intrude on vets hiway. I thought vets of several cruisers. m sooo new. It wasn't until I read some other inclusions that I clued in.
My time off road n twisting wrench with my grown son give us time to talk about all that tough stuff guys need talk about. So Never any disrespect eh.
I did repost as suggested

Back to harvesting from the lj picked up 2 back doors n brought them home. Sold the skins for 150$ hope the pwr windows are transferable otherwise I just did a complete stranger a huge favor. Can't get the handle off the bj ran out of daylight while trying. Have to wait till tmw morn. Motor works. 12 v tho. Took lic plate light holders out to transfer to new gate. Bulb holders are 24-12v just change Bulbs.

Stripped out l side door perfect sheet metal glass and donor of working pwr window. Will not bother with locks just two switches for windows. Job a pain but nice 0 rust this time. Then onto r side. Good sheet metal crinkled but not rusted. Then onto removing the panel. Not as easy as l side. Peeled panel and revealed prev repair. Some Jackaninny had cut the door with a grinder to access motor for repair!!then kinda welded everything back. Who does that?

Got doors stripped down kept all hardware separate found problem ie reason jackaninny cut door. One actuator is spread no big deal. My mechanic says swap all n have pwr windows and locks. Put in almost finished stereo mount with 12v outlet from my 81 bj60.

image.jpg

Suspension came on Wednesday started install thurs 9:30. Hour later suspension cut off good start. many interruptions rest of am simon gave us instructions and we blindly followed them, now we understand why he hates these jobs.

Suspension came on Wednesday started install thurs 9:30. Hour later suspension cut off good start. many interruptions rest of am simon gave us instructions and we blindly followed them, now we understand why he hates these jobs.

Pins and bushings were nasty front out with 1 smack of the hammer. All rear ones were 10+min. of banging. Had to drop exhaust and both prop shafts. Also pins at rear come out towards fuel tank. Drive m out an inch then plasma them off.

New OME installed with couple hours next day. Had about 1 inch of travel at front bump stop, now sits up straight with 4 inches of travel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom