BJ70 24V starter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The original starter on my 1987 BJ70 gave out 2 weeks ago. I searched for replacements and parts and ended up with 2 starters -- one new and my old one rebuilt. I did my own rebuild as it only needed grease in the motor bearings and a new solenoid kit (contacts and plunger). The rebuild was easy. Removal was impossible until I read on this forum that the brace needed to come out first. So easy after that.

While waiting for the rebuild parts, I found a possible 24V starter on eBay and corresponded with the company. It was listed as a Toyota fork lift starter. After guarantees that I could return it if it didn't fit, I took the chance. $120 for a new starter is fantastic since the OEM listed for well over $1000 when it was available. I installed the new starter and am very happy after a week of use The unit is oriented slightly differently, but it still fits and functions perfectly. Even if it only lasts for a year, it's a bargain.

Here is the eBay listing if any BJ70 -24V owners in the USA need a spare starter:

New Starter 24V 11T Toyota Landcruiser Truck Diesel BJ40 3B BJ42 BJ46 BJ70 | eBay

Starter.jpg

I got a lot of starter parts from a forklift company online.
They did not have a complete unit for sale.
You lucked out.

There is a Chinese outfit making these and selling them on eBay through a forklift company in Texas IIRC. That's where I got my 24v new starter/

I know that HINO is Toyota, and a lot of Toyota forklifts and HINO trucks used interchangeable parts.
Good for you for being able to find a crossover part.
I'm responding because I had a failure of my 12HT 12V alternator and am currently using a 12V starter
that was also rebuilt and converted from 24V to 12V just like the alternator was. My alternator crapped
out and I wasn't about to rebuild it for the 3-4th time. My friend found this company in Australia.

Toyota Landcruiser 2H 12H Starter Motor
Toyota Land Cruiser 2H 12HT Diesel Alternator (Internal Regulator)

I'm just putting the links up for the two parts I purchased. I was not charged the amount listed.
I paid just $304 for the alternator and $409 for the starter. These are perfect bolt in.
The alternator is also 80 Amp with the vacuum pump as well. I didn't have time to chase through
the forklift / HINO cross references.

I don't mean to hijack what you found, just hoping to help others with a viable source for these parts too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom