BJ60 rollover and getting back to the road (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,
Greetings from Costa Rica, it's being a long time since I do not post anything about my rig since I sold my fj55, well, after wandering around, selling my 82 bj60 and changing it for a 2008 Suzuki Jimny, I decided to get me a 40 years birthday gift a nice 1984 bj60, that was last year, after a few repairs a 2.5 inch lift a was almost ready with what I wanted, a daily/camping/ explorer truck.
Unfortunately last February I Rolled over in the highway while coming back from work.
;)

well thank god this is a tuff truck, I never have an accident like this in my life since my side reseived all the impact.
I will start to post the process of rebuilding a new bj60 body with a old chassis and drivetrain, and maybe get a roll cage;)

Cheers,

Victor M.

Sad to see the damage....grim reminder of how these kind of trucks are not built for rolling onto the roof...looks like you got pretty lucky. I'd say forget restoring the 60 body....yank it off and build up a 45 cabbed ute on the 60 chassis

Glad you're ok ... What were the circumstances of the roll-OH!-ver ?

Sad to see the damage....grim reminder of how these kind of trucks are not built for rolling onto the roof...looks like you got pretty lucky. I'd say forget restoring the 60 body....yank it off and build up a 45 cabbed ute on the 60 chassis
That's a great Idea, one I finish this 60 I'm planning to get a 45, I always wanted to have a pickup!!

Glad you're ok ... What were the circumstances of the roll-OH!-ver ?
This happened while braking, the tire pinch the side of the island between the 2 ways in the road causing the tire to lift sideways, I was driver under 45 MPH, but the momentum was strong enough to roll the car over, my assumption is that the springs which where recently worked at that time, were over curved since the feelth too springy. an that is another factor that helped the event.

When we took off the body we noticed the engine leaning to the left side, we are going to switch motor mounts to see if gets centered.

Last edited:
Hi, Glad you didn’t roll off of one of those mountains. Glad your fixing the cruiser. Mike
I got very lucky !! Thanks, well sometimes is good to have a second chance to rebuild your rig but not at this cost. Well, But I think I'm learning from the experience..

Hi Guys,
I was wandering if you can share your experience on Leaf sprins, I see USA made springs and I have no clue which is the best option, I want to have like 4 inch lift and the only ones I know are Alcan Springs, but talking with Georg from Valley Hybrids, there are people with bad experiences using them. also asked the people from Deaver Springs(I check their web site and they seen to be awesome) but they Replied that they don't do leaf springs for the aplication. this leave me only Hell creek and Cool cruisers from Texas .
is there other Companies that makes high quality leaf sprins? well for those who have used any of those brands, I will appreaciate any knowlege Sharing.

have a great Day !!!

Ok tell me about that exhaust please. Thats for a 3B ? With a flex joint? doesn't cross the body? Comes out by the Door?
Love your work by the way. Great to see.

well, yes, that's a 3B engine, I wanted to run the exhaust OEM, but after measuring the muffler I decided to place it right about the front of the left side rear wheel, with the Idea that the air flow created does rest and the fumes away, I hope to get the right angle at the tip. I reused the original mounts, the Flex is a good Idea for the diesel engine, too much vibration.
I'm making a heat deflector to put it between the body and the muffler. another thought was if I want to install a turbo I will have to make just small modifications to the system.

IMG_20200318_174329.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom