BJ60 and maybe a transfer case issue? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
bad-bad-monkey.spaces.live.com
Hi,

I recently purchased a BJ60 1983 5 speed. I love it!

Now the issue that I was told about was that when the cruiser hits about 80km/hour the case gets really really noisey, very much like a high pitched whine.

The previous owner said about every quarter he gets underneath and pops open a bolt on the transfer case, and packs it with thick heavy grease.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what is wrong with the transfer case? Any solutions?

All the gears work well, and the 4WD works flawlessly :)

Thank you:cool:

archaeology_student said:
Hi,

I recently purchased a BJ60 1983 5 speed. I love it!

Now the issue that I was told about was that when the cruiser hits about 80km/hour the case gets really really noisey, very much like a high pitched whine.

The previous owner said about every quarter he gets underneath and pops open a bolt on the transfer case, and packs it with thick heavy grease.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what is wrong with the transfer case? Any solutions?

All the gears work well, and the 4WD works flawlessly :)

Thank you:cool:

Where are you located. Any good trusted Cruiser shops around you.

The t-case is supposed to be filled with 75/90 weight gear oil. These transmission/t-cases are famous for having a seal go, which then allows the t-case oil to be evacuated into the transmission starving the t-case of oil The gears and bearings in the t-case then suffer. Something is up...

It needs to be checked, and sooner rather then later.

hth's

gb

Greg_B thank you :) I am located in Vancouver British Columbia. I am new to the 4x4 scene and this is my first 4x4 :D

Can anyone make any recomendations for a good cruiser shop around town?

Greg_B thank you :) I am located in Vancouver British Columbia. I am new to the 4x4 scene and this is my first 4x4 :D

Can anyone make any recomendations for a good cruiser shop around town?

Ciaran Wilson of Cruiserland in Langley. Has a love of diesel cruisers, Master Toyota Tech, weened himself away from Toyota and is doing his own thing. Has a faithful list of customers who followed him from the dealer. 604-514-3716

hth's

gb

Ohhh....

And welcome to the Cruiser scene!

gb

Hi,

:cool:
LOL!!
"packs it with grease" sounds like the old "sawdust in the diff or tranny" trick to keep the truck quiet until a unknowing buyer comes along and drops the coin.
time for a rebuild (or maybe even a replacement).

crushers said:
LOL!!
"packs it with grease" sounds like the old "sawdust in the diff or tranny" trick to keep the truck quiet until a unknowing buyer comes along and drops the coin.
time for a rebuild (or maybe even a replacement).

Problem with this is its probably not lubricating the innner bearing race,just muffling the bearings screamingLOL

I figured the transfer case and/or tranny might need replacing, but the price that I got it for was too good to pass up :) The seller was upfront about the issues when we met, and I can not say anything bad about him :)

I know it could go at any tme possibly, but I was wondering what the whine was coming from :)

GB, thanks for the welcome :)

Rob Milson has all the tools for a rebuild, go that route and you will have a unit as the gears are made of some hard steel.

Usually show little to no wear on the gears with over 400K.

Rob

It most likely has a bad bearing. The usual fix is a transfer case kit which has all the berarings gaskets seals ect that you need.
I guess a mechanic would want 3-4 hours labour if you dont want to do it yourself.
IF you have to use a mechanic,preferably find one experienced with LC;)

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/TOYOTA-LANDC...ryZ10428QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Edit Rob beat me to it but yes the gears dont wear to quick,mine have 270000kllms and are like new still:D

Sweet! Thank you all for your time and help :D

I am also looking at maybe replacing the suspension, as the leaf springs look a little worn... maybe not though. I see that the ironman kit is pretty sweet looking :)

I am also looking at replacing the stock headlights with something brighter... so hard to see at night unless the high beams and fogs are on.

Lastly, I want to replace the horn... this is for fun, and because the stock horn is dissapointing to say the least. If you remember the General Lee from Dukes of Hazard, that's the horn I want just for fun :p

I'd like to get some photos up, and get your thoughts and comments of "Bubba", my first 4x4 :)

Sweet! Thank you all for your time and help :D

I am also looking at maybe replacing the suspension, as the leaf springs look a little worn... maybe not though. I see that the ironman kit is pretty sweet looking :)

I am also looking at replacing the stock headlights with something brighter... so hard to see at night unless the high beams and fogs are on.

Lastly, I want to replace the horn... this is for fun, and because the stock horn is dissapointing to say the least. If you remember the General Lee from Dukes of Hazard, that's the horn I want just for fun :p

I'd like to get some photos up, and get your thoughts and comments of "Bubba", my first 4x4 :)

Check out the 60 series forum for specific info on suspension, and headlight wiring upgrades. Both have been talked about lots.

hth's

gb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom