BJ42 VIN Decode (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can anyone help.

Model - BJ42RV-MCQ
Engine - 3B
Trim - FD41.
Colour - ok with this one.
Plant - A11
Trans - H55F
Axel - K082

So how can I tell what year and if this is an original LX… it has 3 wipers?

Can anyone help.

Model - BJ42RV-MCQ
Engine - 3B
Trim - FD41.
Colour - ok with this one.
Plant - A11
Trans - H55F
Axel - K082

So how can I tell what year and if this is an original LX… it has 3 wipers?

BJ42RV-MCQ:
R means right-hand drive
V means hardtop
M means 5-forward gears in main gearbox (supplied with the BJ42 model only between Oct 82 and Oct 84))
C means swingout (ambulance) rear doors
Q means Australia

KO82 differentials:
K means 9.5" ring-gear
08 means 4.11 gear ratio
2 means two spider gears

sorry ... no time to check any more right now..

Agree with what Jake said above though

Bye

Last edited:
Hi the Fame Number is BJ42-005795
Thanks for your help...

My plate codes say the same things and I have a genuine BJ42LX. So either you have an LX or there isn't anything on the plate to signify that it is an LX. Sorry for being less than no help.

Hi the Fame Number is BJ42-005795
Thanks for your help...

Well that says its a September 1983 build.

And I can't find that trim code, but Roberto here on MUD (and BEEJAY with the post above too of course) has a BJ42LX with the same trim code so I believe that trim code confirms it's a genuine LX.

:beer:

Just found some other stuff..

From plant A11, the BJ42 got 5 forward-speeds from frame number :
BJ42-004358 (but I read some MUCH higher frame number listed there too so that's a puzzle).

And I can find the frame numbers where LX introduction occurred for BJ70, BJ73 and BJ74 models but not for any 40-series...

Hi, Thanks… Looks like I am going to take on this project….. it's worth saving it. Simon

And I can't find that trim code,

the trim code:

F = Fabric

most cruisers are L = Vinyl

the 4 is the color of the trim... 41 is in the brown color range

1x = gray
2x = black
4x = brown

most cruisers are like LE11 gray/charcoal vinyl seats and interior

Simon, your VIN plate attached to the firewall should have the build date on it. Mine shows 10/84 build date. My understanding is that the LX was only made between 82 - 84. As for the originality of the LX some others here might be able to assist further but my understanding is that the LX had the following features.
1. Triple wipers;
2. Zebra cloth seat covering;
3. 5 Speed;
4. Power Steering;
5. Disc Brakes on the front;
6. 6 Seating capacity;
7. Plastic Trim in the rear;
8. Sliding Rear Windows;
9. Possibly Air Con (It was an optional extra)
10. Taco;
11. And the LX badges on the side panels above the mud guards.

I think there might have been a couple of more things but at 2am when I just finished work thats about all I got.

Whats the paint code on it and have you got any pics.

Hope this helps.

triple wipers are for Aussie LX only... middle east LX's has only two

not all had the LX on the side.... original pic from 'Otis'

otis.jpg

the trim code:

F = Fabric

most cruisers are L = Vinyl

the 4 is the color of the trim... 41 is in the brown color range

1x = gray
2x = black
4x = brown

most cruisers are like LE11 gray/charcoal vinyl seats and interior

Thanks Johnny... Where did you find that?

And what does the second letter stand for? (D for Simon, E for "most cruisers" and K for me because my trim code is LK11)?

:)

It is a different trim package :)

The difference is your is a K and we have an E LOL

I was looking into things quite some time ago... There are several other sites that show trims ... But... Not the differences between the second letter designation... And definitely not cruiser related

Would be interesting to see how yours may be different from others we should do a trim thread and others can post what they have if they have one that is different from the usual LE11 or FD41... I am not at my usual spot to see the notes I have on it... But I off the top of my head there is also FB42 as an LX as well

I would like to discuss further ... We'll conversation about it and tell ya my thoughts when I have some more time online tomorrow

Hijack over :)

When you work it all out can you let us all know Johnny. I would be interested.

Ok, Thanks for the info, I have bought the truck… but will not get it until Feb... from what I can tell it has all the LX add-ons but needs work…. I have 2 project's now, a BJ46 LHD and the BJ42 LX RHD… Thanks Simon

Congrats mate. Where abouts are you and where did you buy the RHD from. Throw up some pics when you can of the LX.

Simon, your VIN plate attached to the firewall should have the build date on it. Mine shows 10/84 build date. My understanding is that the LX was only made between 82 - 84. As for the originality of the LX some others here might be able to assist further but my understanding is that the LX had the following features.
1. Triple wipers;
2. Zebra cloth seat covering;
3. 5 Speed;
4. Power Steering;
5. Disc Brakes on the front;
6. 6 Seating capacity;
7. Plastic Trim in the rear;
8. Sliding Rear Windows;
9. Possibly Air Con (It was an optional extra)
10. Taco;
11. And the LX badges on the side panels above the mud guards.

I think there might have been a couple of more things but at 2am when I just finished work thats about all I got.

Whats the paint code on it and have you got any pics.

Hope this helps.

Pretty good list Ken!!! :clap:

I just got my hands on a 1983 Aussi-market 40-series sales brochure and it gives some info that we can use to "tweak" your list.

It shows that ANY short-wheel-base 40-series (and not just the LX) of the same production period automatically got the 5-speed box and front discs. So if we're being pedantic (which many of us like to be :hillbilly:) these things shouldn't really be listed as "characteristics of an LX" but of course you're 100% right in that an original LX must have them.

Something you haven't mentioned (that's also in my brochure) is that the LX got steel-belted radial tyres with wide chrome rims "for improved handling and road-holding" (but of course they neglect to add "for lower ground clearance" because brochures concentrate only on positives LOL) when the non-LX got 7.50 x 16 6-ply tyres (which were great tyres in my opinion except they wore out completely in about 15000kms and were rather noisy on the tarmac)..

The brochure doesn't mention A/C at all so I'd say that wasn't automatically part of the LX package (and was just an option as it was for any 40-series model in the brochure).

Triple wipers aren't mentioned in the text but they are shown in the photo of a "SWB LX" so that backs up what you said about those being a characteristic peculiar to the LX.

Hmm. No mention of the tacho in the wording either. However it is shown in a photo said to be "of the diesel model" with no mention of this photo being restricted to an LX version. So that implies any 40-series diesel got the tacho (including non-LX and long-wheelbase diesels) for this very-late 40-series production period.. Which makes sense because I see them on many HJ47 models belonging to MUD members. (So again - an LX must have a tacho .. but having one doesn't help prove a SWB 40-series is a genuine LX.)

The brochiure does say you got a quartz clock across the whole model range (and that range is FJ40RV-MCQ, BJ42RV-MCQ, FJ45RV-KCQ, FJ45RP-KQ, FJ43RP-KQ3, HJ47RV-KCQ, HJ47RP-KQ and last but not least HJ47RP-KQ3 .. for this very-late period of 40-series Aussi-market production represented in this brochure). So again ... An original LX must have a quartz clock .. but having one doesn't help prove a SWB 40-series is a genuine LX.

Apparently only the SWB versions of the 40-series (and even then only the BJ42 and FJ40 models) were ever given LX (luxury status/badging :lol:) if I'm not mistaken.. (But someone from some obscure country where they actually got a BJ40LX or an HJ47LX is sure to prove me wrong here....)

:beer:

Last edited:
Thanks for the info mate. I do remember now that the LX came out with the chrome rims as standard on them as well now that you mention it. I might be wrong but I think they were 8.5x15 or maybe 16.

She will get a tub-off rebuild which I will do when she arrives…. found her in Perth and will be coming back on a ship, the BJ46 LHD was a french truck which I have just collected from the highlands of Scotland. I think I have 2 rather difficult to find trucks to work on over the next few months (years), looking at using a replacement stainless steel tub (bulkhead back) on the BJ46 and will see if the BJ42 wants open when I get her home. Simon

BigBlue04.jpg

Parts are still easy to get for them over here mate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom