BJ42 LX Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all. I have some questions about BJ42 LX's. I have been looking everywhere but can't find a concrete answer. Does every LX have 3 wiper blades or did some come with 2? I keep seeing pictures of people posting BJ42 LX's with only 2 blades and I am wondering if they are legit. Also were the sliding rear windows an option on the standard BJ42 because I have seen those on some "LX" models with only 2 blades. Thanks for the help!

3 blade standard on the LX if there is 2 then the frame was pronably changed.
Slider no on regular 42 only the LX
The Lx in the JDM market may have various standard equiptment compared to the Aussie/New Zealand market.

I was actively looking (drooling) at new landcruisers back in 1983/84 and I believe Toyota created the LX model simply to shift "old stock BJ42 models" so it could concentrate on 60-series sales without having to continue selling the older model.

And the "LX package" was varied to suit local markets. So almost any combination of the following could have been fitted ex-factory to a BJ42 LX in 1983/1984 (and some of these features were already available as options on non-LX 1983/84 BJ42 models)...

3-wipers, "intermittent" wiper setting/operation, tachometer, sliding windows, zebra brown seating upholstery, underhood & firewall insulation, carpet instead of vinyl floor covering, plastic internal rear-tub panels, fancy paintwork decals, power steering, in-cab hood-release, door-operated courtesy lights, headrests, airconditioning, digital clock, cigarette lighter, radio (AM, AM/FM or AM/FM + tape), tilting day/night rear-view mirror, folding rear seats, pintle hook, radiator shutter, sedimenter, disk-brake front axle, 5-speed gearbox, limited slip rear diff, electric or PTO winch, fancy steering wheel, dashboard padding, etc.

So one BJ42LX left the Toyota factory with different features from another and it is silly for any LX model to automatically command a higher selling price than a non-LX model.

But of course the BJ42LX is getting "cult status" in the US so asking prices seem to be reflecting that.

:cheers:

Last edited:
The 3 wipers were on Aussie Lxs ... A lot of places got 2 wipers like Middle East

Afaik the slider rear window was standard on Lxs

JDM/Australia/New Zealand = RHD
Middle East = LHD

Is it possible three wiper windshields were only made in RHD and not LHD. The wiper were located differently in the RHD not LHD models.

LX had different seating in the back too I think. 3 across instead of sideways jump seats.

..Is it possible three wiper windshields were only made in RHD and not LHD. The wiper were located differently in the RHD not LHD models.

From what I can see, the Toyota database shows the 3-wipers existing on a 40-series only for the ARL market (Australia). So this would indeed make this feature RHD-only and unable to be easily swapped over into a LHD 40-series.

But being listed only for the ARL market doesn't automatically mean Australia was the only country that got them. New Zealand got ARL-spec 40-series landcruisers and on that basis it's possible other countries did too.

:beer:

heres a left hand drive one , it can be found here in canada northern BC .not sure if it is real or not . i always thought it was though

3 wipers.jpg

heres a left hand drive one , it can be found here in canada northern BC .not sure if it is real or not . i always thought it was though

:hmm: Hmmmm. That's certainly good evidence for the existance of LH-drive 3-wiper BJ42LX models Jake

But my research of the Toyota database doesn't yet support it being ex-factory.

So right now I think it's more likely to be either a RH-drive that's been converted to a LH-drive, or someone's manufactured that 3-wiper setup themselves.

:meh:

Edit: And I remember the thread that orange cruiser appeared in:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/328345-just-cool-rig-look-1984bj40-lx.html

It's the odd man out there by being the only LHD.

Last edited:
Can you tell from thses pics if its the LX? Wish it didn't have the chrome!

Even if it was one, it no longer is one.

It's now just "a show car" that's been modified (bumper, blinkers, chroming, monsoon shield, wheels, breast implants, etc) to a PO's personal taste.

I was actively looking (drooling) at new landcruisers back in 1983/84 and I believe Toyota created the LX model simply to shift "old stock BJ42 models" so it could concentrate on 60-series sales without having to continue selling the older model.

And the "LX package" was varied to suit local markets. So almost any combination of the following could have been fitted ex-factory to a BJ42 LX in 1983/1984 (and some of these features were already available as options on non-LX 1983/84 BJ42 models)...

3-wipers, "intermittent" wiper setting/operation, tachometer, sliding windows, zebra brown seating upholstery, underhood & firewall insulation, carpet instead of vinyl floor covering, plastic internal rear-tub panels, fancy paintwork decals, power steering, in-cab hood-release, door-operated courtesy lights, headrests, airconditioning, digital clock, cigarette lighter, radio (AM, AM/FM or AM/FM + tape), tilting day/night rear-view mirror, folding rear seats, pintle hook, radiator shutter, sedimenter, disk-brake front axle, 5-speed gearbox, limited slip rear diff, electric or PTO winch, fancy steering wheel, dashboard padding, etc.

So one BJ42LX left the Toyota factory with different features from another and it is silly for any LX model to automatically command a higher selling price than a non-LX model.

But of course the BJ42LX is getting "cult status" in the US so asking prices seem to be reflecting that.

Tom,

I've never seen one with carpet. Mine has brown vinyl rather than grey. I've seen a number of LXs (more than 12) and never with factory carpet. Likewise the fancy steering wheel: mine looks just like any other 81-84 40 series, as do others I've seen. I've also never seen one with factory limited slip, but I would imagine it was available.

Finally, the '81 BJ42 LX did not come with a 5 speed, but rather with the H41. AFAIK '82-'84 were standard with the 5 speed, but I saw one advertised in QLD which was an '82 with an H41 - I don't know whether it was a fair dinkum '82 or just had not been first registered until '82 but was in fact an '81 - I only saw photos of it.

Of course, many of the options you list were also available on non-LX 40s - tach, intermittent wipers, digital clock, headrests, day/night mirror, etc.

The plastic interior panels and bulkhead sound deadener fasten to the body tub using factory-installed clips and captured nuts which would be very hard to add after-the-fact as they are spot welded to the sheetmetal. Same with the roof side panels: the tabs are spot welded on.

The rear shoulder belts are held in place using brackets which bolt to captured nuts which are not installed on the non-LX. In the front, the Aussie LXs I have seen all have the 60/40 bench, but several JDM LXs I have seen had buckets with a brown centre console similar to the US Spec grey ones available from '81-'83; with the rear heater installed, second ash tray and rocker switch to control the rear fan.

I do like my LX - it s the pinnacle of Land Cruiser evolution in my opinion - IMHO. I had an '83 US Spec FJ40 with factory air con and factory power steering for 15 years, and I much prefer my LX; it is quiet, comfy and civilised.

Josh

Tom,I've never seen one with carpet. Mine has brown vinyl rather than grey. I've seen a number of LXs (more than 12) and never with factory carpet.
Neither have I (ever seen one) but I did some research a long time ago on floor mats with Rockcrawler (Melbourne) and found lots of different Mat part numbers with some of them possibly being "carpet".

Here's just a small part of the spreadsheet I did then when Rockcrawler was looking at getting someone to make aftermarket versions:
Mats.jpg

So I'm just thinking "carpet was a possible selling point for LX models in some markets" but I have no firm/sound basis for saying so for sure. (And I can recall seeing pictures of very-professionally-carpeted 40-series.)

Likewise the fancy steering wheel: mine looks just like any other 81-84 40 series, as do others I've seen.

Got me there Josh. Studying Toyota databases now shows no sign of alternative steering wheel options.... So I must have just assumed there was "an upgrade" from seeing "owners' steering wheel transplants".:eek:

I've also never seen one with factory limited slip, but I would imagine it was available. Part Number 41110-60071 - CARRIER ASSY, Differential, REAR (limited slip)
Finally, the '81 BJ42 LX did not come with a 5 speed, but rather with the H41. AFAIK '82-'84 were standard with the 5 speed, but I saw one advertised in QLD which was an '82 with an H41 - I don't know whether it was a fair dinkum '82 or just had not been first registered until '82 but was in fact an '81 - I only saw photos of it.

Truth is ... before now I didn't even know they made an LX in 1981.... So I'm talking out of my arse on the whole subject of LX specifications!
:lol:

Of course, many of the options you list were also available on non-LX 40s - tach, intermittent wipers, digital clock, headrests, day/night mirror, etc.

The plastic interior panels and bulkhead sound deadener fasten to the body tub using factory-installed clips and captured nuts which would be very hard to add after-the-fact as they are spot welded to the sheetmetal. Same with the roof side panels: the tabs are spot welded on.

The rear shoulder belts are held in place using brackets which bolt to captured nuts which are not installed on the non-LX. In the front, the Aussie LXs I have seen all have the 60/40 bench, but several JDM LXs I have seen had buckets with a brown centre console similar to the US Spec grey ones available from '81-'83; with the rear heater installed, second ash tray and rocker switch to control the rear fan.

I do like my LX - it s the pinnacle of Land Cruiser evolution in my opinion - IMHO. I had an '83 US Spec FJ40 with factory air con and factory power steering for 15 years, and I much prefer my LX; it is quiet, comfy and civilised...Josh

Yeah .. We all love what we've got.. Me too.

Mats.jpg

Josh,

FYI - my 82 LX has the H41

At some stage a PO installed the farey over drive.

Dan

I do like my LX - it s the pinnacle of Land Cruiser evolution in my opinion - IMHO. I had an '83 US Spec FJ40 with factory air con and factory power steering for 15 years, and I much prefer my LX; it is quiet, comfy and civilised...Josh

Yeah .. We all love what we've got.. Me too.

Tom,

In re-reading this, that last bit came across much more arrogantly than I intended it to. Sorry about that.

What I intended to convey is that I think that Toyota really did a fine job with the LX and that it was more than simply a way to clear out old stock in preparation for the (inferior:grinpimp:) 70 series.

If it were up to me, I would have kept going with the 40 series and added coil springs, fuel injected petrol and direct injected turbo diesel, cruise control, power goodies, etc. just as they ultimately did with the 70 series.

I actually find the LX a bit puzzeling as they spent so much effort, time and material to produce this rig (as I said, they did not simply bolt a bunch of creature comforts onto an old 40 series and call it good, they actually re-designed a number of items) only to bin it and replace with a Mitsubishi Montero-looking version with only two wipers.

I agree with you that we all love what we have - that's why we have them:)

Josh

Josh,

FYI - my 82 LX has the H41

At some stage a PO installed the farey over drive.

Dan

Whoops, my bad. Sorry Dan, I thought yours was an '81.

OK, perhaps it was always an option to have the 5 speed...?

Josh

Tom,

In re-reading this, that last bit came across much more arrogantly than I intended it to. Sorry about that.

What I intended to convey is that I think that Toyota really did a fine job with the LX and that it was more than simply a way to clear out old stock in preparation for the (inferior:grinpimp:) 70 series.

If it were up to me, I would have kept going with the 40 series and added coil springs, fuel injected petrol and direct injected turbo diesel, cruise control, power goodies, etc. just as they ultimately did with the 70 series.

I actually find the LX a bit puzzeling as they spent so much effort, time and material to produce this rig (as I said, they did not simply bolt a bunch of creature comforts onto an old 40 series and call it good, they actually re-designed a number of items) only to bin it and replace with a Mitsubishi Montero-looking version with only two wipers.

I agree with you that we all love what we have - that's why we have them:)

Josh

I think I'm the one who should be apologising Josh - I have no evidence/factual-basis for saying that the LX model was developed simply to shift slow-moving stock.

I'd love for the 40-series to have continued too ... But I think law changes (side impact, crumple-zones, emissions, etc) all conspired to force Toyota's design engineers towards more car-like features.

And within the 40-series we can all develop reasons to like our own models more than others. For instance I like my "transmission handbrake" that was lost soon after my model-year.

I guess I like the transmission-handbrake's "point-of-difference compared with common cars" more than anything else. And I still like it even though it causes my cruiser to rock whenever I ship it in rough weather (which occurs quite often here where I live, separated from New Zeasland's South Island by a short stretch of notorious sea). The seamen on the vehicle-deck often get quite worried - thinking I may have forgotten to engage the handbrake. And on my old Landrover, I had so much backlash in my diff that in a severe storm my vehicle actually rocked and skidded so violently that it hit the vehicles both in front and behind (which created a nasty situation when we arrived in port again and vehicle owners arrived to drive their vehicles off).

I've also never seen one with factory limited slip, but I would imagine it was available.

My 84 BJ42 has a LSD in the rear, according to the firewall plate. I drive on sand a lot and I can honestly say, either it works poorly, or it is already removed. ARB's are in my future but I can't justify the cost yet. Apparently they are made from meteorites or virgins tears or maybe unicorn horn. They certainly aren't cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom