BJ axles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dieselbigot said:
Greg,

what about that thread (here on Mud I think) that showed 40, 60 & 70 shafts all lined up...the long side 70 shafts were a little longer than a 40 but not as long as a 60?

Exact same part# in the EPC...

43411-60020 short side inner for FJ/BJ/HJ 4*/7*/6*

43412-60020 long side inner for FJ/BJ 4*/7*

43412-35010 long side inner for FJ/BJ/HJ 6* --- and minitruck/hilux

hth'

gb

Last edited:
dieselbigot said:
Just don't run bigger than 35' tyres, don't stay locked while backing up and turning, and don''t drive like an ass-hat :flipoff2:

Oh, and I bet you could drive like that with the 27 spline cromo's and be fine as well...

:D Do it!!!!

gb

The design of the Cruiser differentials most closely models the Ford 9", although hthe pinion has 2 bearings as opposed to some 9"er's having three bearings.

As for Birfields vs. U-joints.... The arguement is moot, as clearly ZF and MB have it right... Double Cardan joints are the clearly superior to either Birfs or Ujoints.

However, the facts are like this... A Birfield is STRONGER than a U-joint when there is no deflection in the steering. A U-Joint is STRONGER than a Birfield when the steering is sharply deflected. This is why these guys that buy the 'U-joint replacement upgrades' are breaking parts while trying to go straight!. Birfs only ever break when turning, otherwise, it's some part of the axle that will let go (when I say Birfs, I just mena the steering section of it... it's possible to break off the splines of a birf where it attaches to the hub, but that's more of an axle than a birfiedl at that point)

And, for the record, when you refer to BJ axles, I sure hope you are referring to the 1950's vintage BJ Jeep made by Toyota, and not, for example, a BJ42. Reffering to an axle under a BJ4X, BJ6X, BJ7X is as misguided as calling a new body on a 4Runner chassis an FJ Cruiser.

Peter Straub

so you decided to stop by for a visit, eh Peter?
could you please expand on your BJ Jeep and also the BJ42 BJ7* BJ6* being different. i understand the old ball and race setup but when it went to birfeilds in 69 what was different between them and the 1980 and later?
cheers

Behemoth60 said:
And, for the record, when you refer to BJ axles, I sure hope you are referring to the 1950's vintage BJ Jeep made by Toyota, and not, for example, a BJ42. Reffering to an axle under a BJ4X, BJ6X, BJ7X is as misguided as calling a new body on a 4Runner chassis an FJ Cruiser. Peter Straub

Just for you Peter:

43412-60020

1969/03-1980/07=FJ40, 43, 45, 55, HJ45, BJ4*
1980/08-1986/04=BJ4*, HJ47, FJ4*
1984/11-1990/01=BJ7*, HJ75, FJ7*

Direct from the General EPC to you...* included:D.

I guess the Toyota computer geeks that put together the EPC did not even consider reference to the first BJ as relevant...

Darn...they used dates to discriminate...

Still trying to find the correct stats' on the *J** axles...

Rubithion sounded like an adventure. I thought it very cool your pops tagged along. Hope he had fun in his old family hauler...

b

Greg_B said:
Hi Brett...

The 7* series inner axles are the same as a BJ42. It's the housing only that is a tad wider...and some say even that is the same and it's just the perchs that are a tad different from the later 4* series.

hth's

gb

Greg the 70 series front axle is 21mm wider than the Bj42 front axle (1984 BJ42).

Michael

May be usefull to some of you on this thread. I just helped a frend swap 85' 70 series front knuckles onto a 1974 FJ40 front axle housing, they fit with no problems.

The 74' fj40 housing is a little tigher opening for birfields to fit compared to the 85 BJ70 but new longfields fit with .042" shaved from the inside of housing, I have heard most 40 owners have to shave them anyways to fit the new birfields.

Along with that, he ordered some chrome molly longfields and we meastured them compared to the 85' BJ70 outer birfields, sizes were the same. So if any of you 70 series owners is thinking about upgrading to longfields, Bobby can help you and has longfields to fit.

Cheers,

Michael

tlcruiserman said:
Greg the 70 series front axle is 21mm wider than the Bj42 front axle (1984 BJ42).Michael

Yup, thanks. I've heard that number too. Did you get that off a FAQ, or have you measured WMS to WMS on front and rear axles and compared to a 4* series.

gb

crushers said:
so you decided to stop by for a visit, eh Peter?

It's a slow day. I only ever check here when I hear about something from Marc or Bruce. They said you had some '80's in now, so I thought I better check it out., then I feel compelled to contribute and/or correct on certain subjects. I really had to tie my fingers behind the keyboard while reading Mike Taylor's post about the synthetic rope, but happily, Bruce spends his time here and keeps at least a few of the posts fact based. Heck, even Whatley has registered, and what with TLCA now using mud instead of Birfiled, I may as well stop fighting it and just become a mud regular. It's either that or get out of Land Cruisers entirely, which I've been thinking of more and more lately.

Peter Straub

Behemoth60 said:
I really had to tie my fingers behind the keyboard while reading Mike Taylor's post about the synthetic rope, but happily, Bruce spends his time here and keeps at least a few of the posts fact based. Heck, even Whatley has registered, and what with TLCA now using mud instead of Birfiled, I may as well stop fighting it and just become a mud regular.Peter Straub

Strap on the 6 gun, slap on the badge, and wade on in then Peter...

Your irreverence, wit, wisdom, and plain button pushing to see if people are paying attention would be welcome…

It’s simply a move from e-mail based to web based…

gb

Peter,
Welcome,
please stop that negative thinking right now! you have just had a string of bad luck is all...
i just can not picture land cruisers without Peter somewhere in there (either doing something right off the wall or taking the oposite side to me).

you gotta take this 81 ofr a test run... lot more leg and hip room than the 61s...
cheers

crushers said:
you gotta take this 81 ofr a test run... lot more leg and hip room than the 61s...
cheers

That would be dangerous. While test driving it, I would probably do something reckless like try to negotiate a trade for a trail rocking BJ74. I would love to get a set of 42" tires under an 80 (no lift - all fender trimming and tub work),apply some armour-all (the kind that comes from a welder, not a plastic bottle) and make that into an 'Emergency' wheeling rig. Sa-wheat. I've always been inspired by the Arctic Trucks - how much they cut the tubs of the '80's to fit 44's.

Peter Straub

It isn't cold when you are in your land cruiser. Well it isn't hot either.

no <shiver> picturing Peter doing that to a pristene 81...
i love the look of the artic trucks as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom