BJ-42 Brake Work, New Booster and repairing master (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, It has been a while since I have posted anything but I thought I should start again with the current repairs. The cruiser has been parked since last summer due to a lack of time/funds. But it is now time to get it back on the road. It has a few issues to be dealt with but the most important one is to get the brakes fixed so we can start driving it again.

It is a 1981 BJ-42 living in Canada. But here is a pic of the truck from a road trip in Guatemala a few years ago.
IMG_1017.JPG

I have been reading about new boosters and had found the ones Racer 65 sold so I ordered one last Saturday and it arrived on Friday. So that was some quick shipping. Here it is right out of the box.
New Booster 1.JPG

Here is the old booster in the truck,
Old booster 1.JPG

The two of them on the shelf seemed to be pretty similar size with the spacer attached to the new booster. One of the only differences was that the rod that attaches to the brake pedal was a bit longer but it just barely fit with out any modifications.
Compare 1.JPG

Here is the new booster installed in the truck.
New Installed.JPG

Everything just bolted up with no problems. That was easier then expected, so now it is time to work on the brake master. The master I was currently using was a replacement that I bought in Colombia I believe. Diesels were not sold there so I ended up just using the most similar master cylinder I could buy. When I drained all the fluid I noticed some metal in the reservoir. That might explain the lack of brakes
Metal.JPG
Damage 1.JPG
Damage 2.JPG

Well at least it is pretty obvious what the problem was.

Here is the old master ( on the Right) and the replacement that was bought in South America (Left).
Old and New.JPG

One morning when we were about to start driving I noticed we were loosing lost brake pressure. When we checked we found out the problem was caused by the hood support rod coming out of its holder and being just the right length to rub on plastic piece going from the cylinder back to the reservoir. Eventually one morning it all just started leaking out.
Warning.JPG

So tomorrow will be sourcing new replacements for the brake master.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom