Birfield wear, is this OK? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I'm in the middle of a front axle rebuild as part of my baselining of my '94 LC. I've disassembled both birfs per the FSM and now am trying to judge the condition of the parts. I also have a 95 LC with 255k miles and the birfs didn't look this bad when I did that front end rebuild a few years ago.

I'm concerned with the depth of the indents from the balls on the inner race along with the indents being slightly off center. I have not seen that before to this degree. Also, on a few spots along the inner race is a "erosion" pitting likely from adhesive wear but the balls look perfect. Maybe damage from a prior problem. And, on the side of the cage is a perfect ball indent at each location where a ball resides. The opposite wheel doesn't show these signs of wear, just the typical indents from a high mileage birf that clicks when turn sharp from a standstill.

My question is...put it back together and run it? Or start saving up for replacement birfs? My 95 has been clicking for years without a problem, so I'm not OCD about my rigs. Just needs to be reliable.

Background
I don't off-road this rig. My 95 is the trail rig (and now my DD until I get this sorted out).
270,000 miles on the clock
Front end clicks when turning sharp like at an intersection.
No maintenance records from PO, but based on my prior baseline work I can tell he took pretty good care of it.
This is my DD to work plus the occasional trip to the beach or mountains.
No lift, no armor. Stock size tires.

I'm looking to the experienced experts for a judgment call. Thanks.

John

IMG_2422.JPG

IMG_2423.JPG

IMG_2424.JPG

IMG_2425.JPG

IMG_2427.JPG

I would agree. Looks like time for a new one/set. Ive been pleased wth the terain tamer units i got from beno. Or pick up some used ones from the part out section here perhaps but nice to know you hve new parts when that deep.

I just did this job on my friends 94, his CV joints had some wear on the cages, and center stars, but nothing like yours. As the members above have said, it's time for some new parts.

+1.

I'd buy new ones, yours are missing some metal.

If they were just clicking but looked better I'd say flop sides, but these are eroded beyond that being worth the time & 1 use parts to re-install.

Most likely have been run low, grease starved.
That reminds me, when I pulled it apart there was grease but the splines were reddish from rust. As if there was a little water in there at some point.

+1.

I'd buy new ones, yours are missing some metal.

If they were just clicking but looked better I'd say flop sides, but these are eroded beyond that being worth the time & 1 use parts to re-install.

Since there is indent wear on both sides of the center star, does that indicate these have been swapped sides before?

Looking again, I'm voting probably - but it's a void issue with as worn as these look to be.

They are trail spares, if you keep parts like that.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the extra set of eyes on this. It keeps me from talking myself into a decision I would regret later.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom