Birfield stuck on axle shaft ?!?w/solution :-) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kevin in okinawa

SILVER Star
Threads
Finally got an opportunity to install the other Longfield birfield with the front end apart. I beat on that SOB for several hours with my rubber mallet to no avail. It was stuck like chuck.

I saw a few videos of using a section of 2” pipe or square pipe with the birf and axle inserted then you slam! them down together, with the shock energy compressing the inner clip/ring and voila! the axle shaft disengages from the birf.

I thought I’d have to use the 2” diameter pipe, but I found that the 1 1/4 diameter pipe is just big enough to use; it took me about nine slams to get it. This one is 36” long, which is long enough for the long side shaft, and it’s galvanized so now I have a nice cheater bar that can separate birfs that are stuck like a mofo on that damn birf.

It was $40 at Home Depot. Which I thought was f**king robbery for 3 feet of pipe, but joke is on them because now it’s a stout cheater bar to boot.

5F0122E1-E150-4B5A-9767-32DF2F5EA797.jpeg

841D2737-2AF7-492C-AF30-B80AF4C1CF9E.jpeg

You can use a hi-lift handle as well.

I do prefer the FSM method with the brass punch, really easy.
The pipe hit the star then ball bearing which I don’t like.

Oh I spent LOTS of time with the brass punch after wailing away with the mallet for long periods of time.

yeah, me too until that FSM method doesn't work bro. This is for birfs that are STUCK LIKE CHUCK.

Well I had 8 birfield to take appart. Two from 75, 6 from 60 and 2 from a 1982 pickup.
I first tried the pipe method since it’s look so easy (YouTube Ishobie), I separated my first quick (long one) then no luck…
I install the joint in the vise and used a long brass punch like 6/7 inch long , 1 inch diameter. I was surprised how easy it came appart! (Need a big shot)

In my first comment, I was wrong about pipe hitting star then ball…my bad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom