Birf Repack Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dissent

Questioning my life choices...
Threads
I'm at 65K since my first full Birf overhaul including seals, new bearings and races (wheel/trunions), wipers, etc.

I'm about to visit them again for a repack and new wipers along with fitting locking hubs.

Do I need to install new Axle Seals and trunions bearings? Some of the kits come with these. I figure I'd just clean all the bearings, inspect and repack.

"while there" :wrench:, I would replace the seals not the bearings, 65k miles / even in km it is a lot (close to FSM replace advice?)
FSM (service specifications A12) does not give change intervals only measurement of play and wear like preload limit 0.4 kg and max 3.3 kg (or 3-6kg), runout 1.2mm etc.

So maybe when the seal wears out the friction is less and then Toyota seems to measure that less wear combined with bearing resistance.

I am cheap and lazy and would not do them
I am cheap and lazy but I would do all, just to not have to do it in the next year.

Last edited:
The bearings are not that much to begin with and the job would only be just as messy later when you need to redo them. I'd just do it all at once and not worry about them again.

no on the trunion or wheel bearings (unless noisy or notchy) and yes on the axle seals if youre disturbing them. The bearings are overbuilt and if taken care of can potentially last the life of the vehicle.

Last edited:
Regarding the bearings specifically, I put all new bearings in 65K ago, is it typical to replace them at 65K or just repack them?

I missed that reply @murf, I'll just replace the seals and repack then.

The front inner axle seal is about 1.5", the hub seal is about 3" and goes behind the inner Wheel Bearing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom