birf assembly question (1 Viewer)

I'm about to re-assemble my birfields. I have the c-ring that goes on the very end of the inner axle shaft and get pushed thru the inner race (star piece). Is there supposed to be another c-ring that sits against the exposed side of the inner race?

When I read articles about the birf job on older trucks it appears that there is a c-ring on each side of the inner race but mine only came apart with the one on the inner side.

I'm guessing the 80's are different - or someone left it off on a previous job?

Does anyone even know what I talking about? Wish I had pictures.

Aaron

Just 1 C clip is used on the 80's. I am not sure why but even the manual incorrectly shows 2, may be the 60's used 2?

awesome, thanks for the info.

GXO

GXOR
SILVER Star
Website
gxor.org
Yep, just the one c-clip.

If you haven't done it yet, get some zip ties, press the c-clip into the groove by tightening the zip tie, then insert into the birfield with a firm thunk. Then cut the zip tie out and you are good to go.

Or you can wrestle it with a screwdriver for an hour like everyone else does :)

Yep, just the one c-clip.

If you haven't done it yet, get some zip ties, press the c-clip into the groove by tightening the zip tie, then insert into the birfield with a firm thunk. Then cut the zip tie out and you are good to go.

Or you can wrestle it with a screwdriver for an hour like everyone else does :)

I used a hose clamp on the long side to compress the clip & it went right in. On the short side, it wouldn't cooperate for some reason.

During my wrestling with it, my dad came over to visit so I put him to work. I just had him hold the axle & I tried the screw driver method. It's not really too tough. Keeping the axle strait and not moving with even downward pressure is the key. :cheers:

GXO

GXOR
SILVER Star
Website
gxor.org
Zip tie os 100% and takes 60 seconds :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom