Big request for 60 owners (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Maybe?
fj60_vacuum_routing.gif

Ok so I go to smog my 83 fj60 and it passed for emissions, but failed the visual inspection because my mechanic put a delay valve on the tube going from the EGR vacuum modulator to the EGR valve and a delay valve on the tube going from VSV (1) for AI to (ASV) (see above diagram from Plain Jane). He said they were to help with a hesitation I get when I try to accelerate.
Anyway, I take it in the first time, it passes except for the delay valves. Guy tells me to take them off and come back for a recheck. Take it back and it fails horribly. This what the report says:
1st test: tested at 15 and 25 mph. HC (ppm) max. is 189 and 113. Car tested at 165 and 133 (barley passed). NO (ppm) max. is 1448 and 1308. Car tested at 420 and 217 (very good).
2nd test: HC (ppm) 65 and 57 (dropped a lot!). NO (ppm) 1640 and 1475 (through the roof! WTF). and the CO % stayed the same.
Does this make sense to anybody? What do I need to do?

I checked a few vacuum hoses today with a gauge and got a big zero. Are there certain ones I should be checking at idle??? I ordered all new vac hose and am ready to replace all the old stuff, but want to find out whats going on before I just start pulling stuff off... It's a 1985 FJ60 and it's running fairly well right now, a little rough at idle though. Thoughts?

LOL - I have about 1/8th that many hoses under the hood.... oh well!
X2 since its such a bitch to fix all this junk why not just desmog it? I love mine desmoged, easy to work in there without the spagetti and runs great!

sorry, coming in late. how many feet of hose did you use under the hood? that isn't very cheap...

Hey 60 toy..

PM cruiser guy.

he lives in sandy and is on mud quite often and will have what you need as far info.

For vacuum tube

I was told 35' of 3 or 3.3mm ID
and 10' of 5mm ID.
I did this and still have a bit extra (and a few hoses left to swap out)

I used silicone hose from boostcontroller.com as others had done, Got all the hose shipped for about $55 total. nice stuff, easy to work with. No problems so far other than finding emission valves non-functioning.
I have photos somewhere in another thread, search vacuum hose.

Just an idea. When I see all this spaghetti, wouldn't it be a nice plan to switch to a diesel:hillbilly:

Just an idea. When I see all this spaghetti, wouldn't it be a nice plan to switch to a diesel:hillbilly:

$35 worth of hoses or 5K (min) worth of engine swap..

:meh:

$35 worth of hoses or 5K (min) worth of engine swap..

:meh:

Wise words, oh, thy wise one!
But, eh... 5K for a new engine? Even here I can get a "lightly" used H12T with turbo, straight from Japan for 2,5 K. Of course without the swap. A 1HZ would cost 5K.

ugg, that was the day I used to troubehsoot those cars

Well, its been 17 years since working in my first shop. Those vacuum lines are a horrid thing to troubleshoot, especially on a Honda. Thank you ODB2!!

You will have to be patient and before hooking these up right, inspect them for hardness. Over time, rubber vacuum hoses will become brittle from hydrocarbons and heat. Not only do that crack, but check the ends for elasticity. If thay are hard, and you have enough length, cut them shorter.

If you have the doe, and time, take it to a shop and put a smoker on the engine to see if there is any vacuum leaks, then you will know.

i see the vs 1 but what is the other similar thingbolted between the carb fan and the washer resevoir it looks similar to the vs 1 it sends ahose to the carb and one to that weird thing on the back of the intake manifold, but i cant find it in the emissons manual. its clear in the pic posted earlier in this thread. please what is that? thanks mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom