Big fix list, does this sound right... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all. I've spent a lot of time researching the forums for info on this (and watching youtube videos), but I really want the advice from this crew (as I know a few of you have done it). My big three to-dos are 1 disc brakes, 2 power steering, and 3 put in a 4-speed. As you can imagine there are a ton of solutions out there. One I looked at the seemed most popular was through Cruiser Outfitters:

From their email:
"Sagniaw Power Steering Conversion Kits.
Cruiser Outfitters - http://cruiseroutfitters.com/powersteering.html
(complete install kit is $432)

We do offer disc brake conversion kits using all Toyota parts. They upgrade your knuckles, birfield axles, hubs and of course your brakes. Kits start ~$1500 and go up to $2500 (if you want all new parts for example)"

Has anyone used Cruiser Outfitters before? Is it best to go with all new parts for the brakes (i'd rather pay now, than pay more later). Any red flags you can think of?

(i haven't done my research yet on the 4-speed)

Thanks in advance for the advice,
Rob

Kurt and the guys are great... As @badsamaritan said, you can find quite a few goodies on the classifieds and save some money... If you were thinking 4 speed, you may want to think about just going to a 5 speed depending on funds.

Also, look into FJ60 power steering conversions... Many like them because you don't have to cut an ugly hole in the front crossmember...

Post a picture of your rig!

And don't forget to include the lighting wiring in your fixit list there... :hmm:
Should be one of the easier and less expensive things to tackle.

And don't forget to include the lighting wiring in your fixit list there... :hmm:
Should be one of the easier and less expensive things to tackle.
I know, you're on my list! I haven't forgotten your generous offer. I'm hoping that one only costs me a 6pack and a couple of fuses. I want to get these big items ordered so it forces me to do it!

I have a '64 40 and just completed the 4 wheel disc upgrade a few months ago. I purchased a newer rear axle that was already converted, but for the front I had to source a newer axle and knuckles from a mini truck. I also upgraded to vented rotors and new 4runner, 4 piston calipers. I had some used calipers, but it was more cost effective to just buy new (rebuilt) calipers from O'Rielly's than to try to rebuild the ones I had. Excluding the price of the newer fine splined axle I have less than $500 into the front discs. I had already upgraded the master cylinder to a larger boosted one from a FJ80 series. I got some help from Ray (@badsamaritan) with the knuckle rebuild, he came to my place with his centering tool and hooked me up (Thanks Ray! BTW, I am up and running, we need to get together sometime for beer and a chat.) Anyway I need to repay the favor so hit me up if you need some help or just need someone to bounce ideas off of (PM me and I will send you my phone#).

I also have the Saginaw power steering conversion which I did myself, but as mentioned by @BreckenridgeCruiser you should also investigate the FJ60 conversion. Either way this is one of the best upgrades you can do IMHO, especially if running larger tires.

Good Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom