Big Bear Camping / Recovery Safety - July 2016 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We are going to roll out of RB around 10ish, miss traffic and all.

I want to apologize for bailing out on Friday night. I wish I could have stayed and shared some stories with ya all. It was late I couldn't sleep and I was scheduled to work Saturday. Next time I will plan for more time off.

Totally understandable. That one campsite was very loud. I am glad we got to meet though. Let's do it again.

Frank

I want to apologize for bailing out on Friday night.

No apology required! They were indeed quite loud so it's completely understandable. Funny thing was the next morning, @Cruiser Bauers chatted with the camp keepers and mentioned that the campsite was loud. The next evening, they were as quiet as church mice!

Anyway, we definitely need to get together again. You're always welcome at our events. :)

Great adventures! Is there a gallery to place trip images into? Milo thank you again so much for the teaching on the winch! Loved it.
Cheers
Farrah Bauer

If there are no objections maybe we can just do the run report in the thread that organized the run?

I'm fine with that. Once I surface for air at work, I'll get a quick writeup done. It was a great time so it should be an easy one. ;)

We got rolling Friday around noon...

Kids were just a little excited...

We stayed at Heart Bar Campground. For a developed campground it was nice. Clean water was nearby. The bathrooms were well maintained. the loops make for a kid's bike riding playground which kept them busy and tired them out. The downside was noisy campers (always a risk with developed campgrounds) which were way too loud way too late on Friday. They got a talking to from the hosts and between that and their likely hangovers they were whisper quiet Saturday.

We took a scenic tour of the mountains, here are some pictures.

Big Bear Lake in the distance...

Checking something on the Jeep that sounds loose. I am letting the cruiser cool down, it was running hot all weekend.

This trip really rung out a few issues with my truck. The engine temp was around 240F climbing the mountain. The AC couldn't keep up which it usually does just fine. The family was getting grumpy.

- Normally it cannot warm the engine up and runs rich. However, this trip it was just below the red much of the time. Based on the sound of the fan, the fan clutch was slipping.
- The heat swamped the AC that I had just charged. The high side fitting started to fail and blew refrigerant all over the engine bay. Returning to the AC shop, the compressor (1 year old from Rock Auto), was leaking out of the front seal.
- When I ran my fridge off of the truck with it off, the battery dropped to 10.5V, bad cell, time for a new one.
- The truck reeked of fuel. Upon removing the gas cap, loads of pressure were released and fuel shot out of the filler neck. Turns out the charcoal canister was plugged. The pressure was causing the engine to stall at idle.

Total tally:
- New aluminum radiator from Summit Racing.
- Old fan clutch with new oil reinstalled.
- New Optima Blue, system now around 14V running instead of 12.5ish.
- New canister.

I think I need a new blower fan, there just isn't as much air coming through the vents as their used to be.

The truck is now purring nicely and back to running too cool. It doesn't stink of fuel. I think running it so hot cleaned out a lot of carbon deposits or something like that.

Frank

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom