BFG AT 35 X 12.5 on Rock Crawlers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruzerfetish said:
yep. haven't wheeled it at all yet, but that is only because I didn't have a spare tire and my MTRs are bald!!

I guess I have to be the :princess: now. Oh well. I can take it.

Looks like 33s will take me most anyplace 35s will (in FL, with the exception of some big ass mud holes) and since I am a wuss anyway that won't be an issue : )

Hey dude ( como estas .. ? ) I thought that the 35" is much for your 2.5" of lift, but anycase the you have some troubles with this lift, always you can perform an SO conversion .. :D

and the 35" has a good excuse ..

Here is BFG's take on their tire sizes (e.g. 33x12.5 = 32.7 overall dia/35x12.5 = 34.7 overall dia.)

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/assets/pdf/all_terrain_ta_kd.pdf

Maybe too late for you now, but could be usefull for others (it also has width too).

BTW: I run BFG's All Terrain 33x12.5 tires and do just fine wheelin' and daily driving 'em. You'll be quite happy with them. Go SOA, get F/R lockers, and some body damage b/f you'll ever need the 35's IMHO.

Matt

Hey Tapage. Thanks for the PM earlier. It was good to practice espanol. yeah, I could have used the 35s as the catalyst for a spring over. But the main thing I was trying to avoid is HAVING to do more work on my 60. THere are enough things I need to do to it besides keeping up with the height. Especially when I just got done installing a lift a few months ago.

Now I am going to need a new rear bumper for a tire rack. I can't wait to have a spare tire either! My confidence will really grow knowing I can make it home if I get a flat on the trail.

What I am going to need more than anything is a Hi lift jack.

Also, meluhha, that is a good link to include in this thread.

Later!

fetish, I'm gonna jump in as a newbie wheeler (lowtide can vouch for that)--here's what I learned my first time out (GSMTR a month ago). This goes for Tellico gnarly boulder trails--in Florida YMMV:

spare carrier on rear bumper looks cool, but doesn't matter--when you're going to wheel trails drop the spare (when you get one) and throw it in the back.....spend your money elsewhere.....

if your truck's cherry, body armor is everything--the rocks in the smokies can beat the hell out of nice straight sheet metal...not as big a deal in the sands of fla.....for rocky trails get sliders and rear qtr armor....

rear locker helps a lot, lockers front and rear rocks, but I'm staying away from anything but on demand in the front...have to save up for ARBs. I WILL have detroit, aussie or no-slip in rear before GSMTR 15.

The other thing I was missing is driving know how--there is no way to buy that. My truck would make these horible grinding, scraping noises, I'd feel like I was flipping the truck over, and my spotting buddy would say "you're cool, that's perfect!" you will scrape and grind across rocks that make noises like your truck is coming apart. that freaked me at first, but it's no big deal--take a good luck under your rig and you'll find a lot of beefy, heavy duty metal. You'll be blown away at what these things can do, even with little modification.

Waaay too long, sorry. Get your spare, get a hilift, and get out there. Earn some bruises and dents, and you'll have a much better idea of what you need next. (Not meaning to preach--I'm talking to myself too.) Cruise on!

i'd go 4" for 35's, especially 12.5's...here's 33x10.5 stuffed on a 4"
11.JPG

thanks for the advice Flowman. my cruiser is not cherry to say the least. It is a rusty pig underneath from its former life in Long Island. Down to a hole in the frame next to the cat. I am planning on wire wheeling it down and shoring up the bad spots.

I will have the spare tire on friday and teh rest installed on thursday, I was just dreaming about the rear bumper, etc. I will be riding around with the spare in the back for a long time before I have cash to armor the girl with sliders, bumpers, etc.

I am ready to go out and hurt it this weekend.

Al, don't think I am going to drive to Alpha for the first trip into the beyond. Gonna stick close to home in case I have to tow it back. :grinpimp:

Here is an update on my wheels and tires. Called Discount on ZThursday afternoon to see if they got everything in and he says you wanted the rock crawlers with the circle cutouts, right? I sadi, "no, but let me come down and see them." Went down and decided they were cool and to go ahead with the install. After a couple of hours of waiting, I get to drive it off the lift. Felt like I was running people over it was rubbing the calipers so bad. I let the guy do the tiniest bit of grinding before he decided that I should put my old fronts back on and he would order the D-Window rock crawlers the next day.

They swore they were the 3.5 inch backspacing. It looks like the backs of the circular cutouts are flared and that is what rubbed. If these were the correct backspacing this means you can't run this style on an FJ60. Anybody have that experience yet?

Got a call yesterday afternoon and was told that they have to make a set special for me. Something about the hubs not being stamped on the wheels that go on toyotas???? I don't know what he was talking about, all I know is it is going to be 6 more days until I get them.

To make it even worse they broke a stud on my front driver side. There was already one broke clean off. So the guy says, take it down to so and so's shop and tell them we broke one of them and they will cut you a deal!! What rubs me wrong about this one is that with the steel wheels they could get the lug started on the broken stud and weren't even going to tell me about it even though another stud on the same wheel was broke off completely.

Long story long, I went down to the shop, told 'em Discount sent me and they took care of it. 2 hour job for their guy. When he gave me my keys back he said they are gonna have to pay some extra labor on this one!

So, will post pics when I get them on. Right now, I have my old ones on the fron and their rock crawlers and my tires on the back. bald 32 MTRs on silver rims in the front and 33 A/Ts on black crawlers in the rear. Looks and drives kind of funny.

Dang, sorry for such a long post!

well we have old man emu lift on our 61 with 50mm body lift and easily run 35 12.5x15 on standard offset 15x8 inch rims.....only rubs slightly on inner rear fenders on full twist....

cruzerfetish said:
After a couple of hours of waiting, I get to drive it off the lift. Felt like I was running people over it was rubbing the calipers so bad. I let the guy do the tiniest bit of grinding before he decided that I should put my old fronts back on and he would order the D-Window rock crawlers the next day.

They swore they were the 3.5 inch backspacing. It looks like the backs of the circular cutouts are flared and that is what rubbed. If these were the correct backspacing this means you can't run this style on an FJ60. Anybody have that experience yet?

This is a very common experience. I had it when I bought a set of used rims and tires, but I knew it was a very good possibility having read about it over and over on the LCML and this board. That flare is what gets you with most modern crawler/"D" type rims. Grind a little off your caliper- like about 1/16-1/8 over maybe a 1" area and it works fine.

This is the reason that if you're going to order rims, get 3.35" backspaced rims, which is usually a custom offset for most wheel manufacturers. Think of it, this happens to be equivalent to an 85mm metric backspace, which the Japanese would have used to figure it out in the first place. It's not 3.3" nor 3-3/8"- why would Toyota use one single American measurement to build their trucks when everything else is metric? Makes no sense. It is 85mm. Go out and measure a stock rim.

But seriously, why not grind on the caliper? I promise it is so minimal you won't believe it. You'll now be able to run every common 3.5" backspaced crawler rim that exists- something Joe in the only other Toyota down the trail might have when you're out with a bent rim or Al's wrecking yard could scrounge up for a spare. It doesn't pay to specialize, especially in rigs that were meant to be field-serviceable!

Sorry if this reply is snippy, it's just so frustrating to hear of yet another person going through this aggravating process when the information is literally at your fingertips. If you're buying rims, at least bolt the bare rims onto the truck before mounting up tires. Yeah you'll often get a look of disbelief or resistance from the tire tech, and when it doesn't turn you'll get a "wow, I've NEVER seen that before!" kind of exclamation, but it sure shortens the time to get things working and get you out the door happily.

..or just grind! ;)

I had some 16x8s custom made with 2.5" backspace. $400 for 5 shipped. It's some of the best money I spent on my Cruiser.

Last edited:
SHO NUFF said:
I had some 16x8s custom made with 2.5" backspace. $400 for 5 shipped. It's some of the best money I spent on my Cruiser.

Thats a size/bs I've been thinking about. Who did you get them from?

NUFF i run the same backspacing as you and it has done wonders for handling on and off road.

lovetoski said:
Thats a size/bs I've been thinking about. Who did you get them from?
There's a wholesale wharehouse here in Tucson. It's where Desert Rat gets thier stuff. So you could go through them if you can't buy wholesale.

i went thru summit to get my steel wheels. U.S. wheels ya have to call up for custom back spacing..free shipping too. i think like 35 a wheel if i can remember right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom