Best Upgrades for Under $100 (200-Series) (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Can one of you ProClip fans post / send me a pic of your phone mount without the phone in it? thanks

For those with iPhone 12, this is the Belkin Car Vent Pro with Otterbox Defender XT Pro case. This my first MagSafe accessory. Pretty slick. Literally snaps on via magnets. Yes it holds the phone tight over bumpy roads (despite my heavy 12Pro Max and heavy duty case) yet easy to take off.

For my minivan, i just bought an Amazon knock off of the Belkin…so, i will see if it is just as good.

Of note, the Belkin does NOT charge your phone, which is OK by me because i don’t like Qi charging…i am still old-fashion wire charging via lightning port. I also play music thru the USB.

The Amazon knock off does charge thru the holder (apparently) but i won’t be using that feature.

D74F86E0-1BE0-417F-AB9C-CD55E8FA789B.jpeg

AED2E606-6060-4C02-85D1-D8D11DEDE0CD.jpeg

Last edited:
A little over $100 bucks but a great mod. Mine had all the coating peeling off probably from age and too much hand sanitizer so it was time for a new one. Didn’t want the TRD shifter everyone else was going to.

View attachment 2589563View attachment 2589564

I gotta stop visiting the cheap mods thread. It’s getting too expensive.

For those with iPhone 12, this is the Belkin Car Vent Pro with Otterbox Defender XT Pro case. This my first MagSafe accessory. Pretty slick. Literally snaps on via magnets. Yes it holds the phone tight over bumpy roads (despite my heavy 12Pro Max and heavy duty case) yet easy to take off.

For my minivan, i just bought an Amazon knock off of the Belkin…so, i will see if it is just as good.

Of note, the Belkin does NOT charge your phone, which is OK by me because i don’t like Qi charging…i am still old-fashion wire charging via lightning port. I also play music thru the USB.

The Amazon knock off does charge thru the holder (apparently) but i won’t be using that feature.

Be careful with vent mounts which mount on blades. Those destroy vent blades over time

The constant vibration driven be weight cause continues slight movement. Both side of each blade have a tip which is held in a hole. The tip wears out due to constant micro movement. Over time the blade becomes more and more loose and in some cases the tip may let go and the blade falls out. My buddy has a dealership and replaces a lot of vents and always is the one by driver side in the middle.

The constant vibration driven be weight cause continues slight movement. Both side of each blade have a tip which is held in a hole. The tip wears out due to constant micro movement. Over time the blade becomes more and more loose and in some cases the tip may let go and the blade falls out. My buddy has a dealership and replaces a lot of vents and always is the one by driver side in the middle.

Is the ProClip subject to this failure mode? Looks like it doesn't use the blades at all.

This is where I placed my torras magnetic mount...I can turn the phone sideways to get the “wide screen” navigation from google maps while also keeping my phone out of the way of the screen vent. And no wings to a cradle.

TORRAS Magnetic Car Mount, 360 Rotation Cell Phone Holder for Dashboard Compatible with iPhone SE/ 11 Pro Max/ X /8, Samsung Galaxy S20/ S10/ S9, More Amazon product ASIN B06XXVMWLP

For me, these mounts are too low. I want my phone to be as high as possible (yet within reach) so that it is as close to eye level while driving. I don’t have to take my eyes off the road.

I will continue with the Belkin vent mount for now until I find a better solution. It is just so slick right now with the whole MagSafe thingy. I use my phone every time I get into my car for navigation to avoid traffic.

But yeah I will keep an eye on the vent blades. So far, using vent mount on two cars, no broken blades…yet.

Would one or the other of these fit the vent to the LEFT of the steering wheel? I know they are not specifically made for it, but maybe?
There’s no charger over there so I never tried. Though (see attached picture), it appears you could put the torras mount above the button cluster and below the vent...you’d have to leave the phone in an upright position...turning it sideways the steering wheel would occlude a portion of the screen. And in the upright position, it’s either cover the vent...or you’d have to put the “disc” from the torras mount towards the top of the phone. That wouldn’t be a big issue though-they send like 6 discs with each mount.

also, per the attached photo, the cd mount holds my iPad mini quite well. When properly installed (with the little rubber feet), I can turn the iPad sideways and still have use of my gear shifter. It’s tight but it works and holds the iPad steady-even with moderate off-roading.

Universal Car Mount [2 in 1] CD Slot Tablet Car Mount for 7-11 inch Tablet, CD Player Cell Phone Holder for 3.5-7 inch Smartphone - APPS2Car Tablet Ca Amazon product ASIN B01C3ZKJYQ
BCC3906A-B145-41C0-B0C4-084D77086734.jpeg

I was looking at the various “attic” options and came across this one on Amazon. Seems to work for what I want it to. Not bad for $25. I’m considering purchasing a second one to put between the first and second rows.

Kaskawise Car Ceiling Cargo Net... Amazon product ASIN B08NJZ13SB
F38F43BD-6C69-4FFE-A7E5-4285F1B7FAC6.jpeg

View attachment 2597855

View attachment 2597856
Just a quick update…damn, i am in love with MagSafe vent holders (both Belkin and the Amazon look-alike). Strong suction from the magnets…no chance of falling off while off-roading. Quick on/off with one hand.

One small note…stick to Apple cases…they have the strongest magnets. The Otterbox MagSafe cases have slightly weaker magnets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom