Best SUV for my Dog? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So what’s the best SUV (or Truck) for my Dog
I’m tired of having the dog hammock in the back of 16 WRX daily. Plus at 4.9” ground clearance and terrible approach angles many hiking trail and campsite are risky propositions
My pup is the perfect excuse to buy a cheap beater SUV. Ideally a good newb off-roader.
So what would be some good options in the $5000ish range?
Land cruisers and 3rd gen 4runners are at the top of my list but my buget doesn’t go far if I can even find anything solid here in rusty CT
Should I be searching for LExus LX and GX too? Sequoia?
This seems to be a Toyota fan site but are other makes worth considering like Datsun pathfinders and Xterra? I know better but Land Rover Discovery ii are cheap, available and look so cool...

What gnob said. 4Runners and Sequoias have roll down rear windows, too. A big plus to me. You'll get the most capable bang for you buck with a 4Runner, I think.

Is it really? I thought it had a bad reputation for failure... i do really like the FJ80 tailgate setup...
Rear window failure? I DID have to replace the window supports in my 4Runner when it was about 12-13 years old. But that only took me a few hours and I'm not much of a wrencher. (Never had a motor problem) It was a 2nd gen with a tailgate, vs the 3rd gens (and Sequoias) with a hatch. I used to think I liked the tailgate better, but the hatch is mighty handy when it rains.

Look outside of your area for rust-less vehicles. The west coast andsouthwest are your best bets.

Look outside of your area for rust-less vehicles. The west coast andsouthwest are your best bets.
am I crazy for thinking it’s risky to buy a 20ish year old car sight unseen from across the country?
Oops seller didn’t mention there is a hole in the engine block now I’ve got an expensive lump of scrap metal or a huge repair bill...

Ask other Mudders to have a look for you? Works for others on here.

I'm about to list my 4th gen for around 8.5K, interested in catching a flight to California? I recently got a GTI for my 120mi commute and need to sell the 4runner so I can waste money on my cruiser. 😁

Its an excellent beginner 4x4 and waaaaayyy more capable than it looks. Its been my daily driver for the last 4 years and has occasionally filled in on trips that my 60 couldn't make it to. My aussie likes riding in it a lot more than the GTI...

IMG_20180809_132607.jpg

I'm about to list my 4th gen for around 8.5K, interested in catching a flight to California? ...
$8.5k is above my arbitrary budget and adding on a flight to CA (and the trip back would be a sizable cost too)😩. Also what happens if I don’t want to leave after experiencing happy sunny CA 😜

No offense but 4th gen aren’t holding their value as great out here in CT. Which should put them higher on my list.

Yes, but a rust free unit? Should be worth it's weight in light sweet crude at least!

Loved the way my 4Runner worked - rear area was completely flat with the seats folded down. Friend has a Discovery and other than it leaves his driveway on a flatbed more than it's own power - another spacious option. Be sure whatever you get to consider cargo area HVAC - my 4Runner didnt have it, and was sold partially due to that alone (solid/reliable 4x4 - just also underpowered).
IMG_2907.jpg
IMG_3178.jpg

I’ve been driving a 2002 Tundra since I bought it new, great truck!!

But, my dogs say our 1978 FJ40 is the best thing I ever bought them, we LOVE it and love that we can go ANYWHERE in it!!

We drive it, sleep in it, eat in it and relax in it!!

You can’t beat a 40: easy to drive; easy to work on; easy to determine what spare parts to carry off road; many issues can be fixed with a BFH; constant admiring looks and compliments from a jealous public; remarkable fuel economy :)rolleyes: remarkably poor, but worth the cost).

Zoom this and see that the boys are ready to go:
88B49DD2-06EF-4DB5-9F19-81AC0CF7B7C2.jpeg

Zoom this and see that Teddy ran out of patience and started to drive off without me:

1F26302B-D309-4414-B3AC-905AB1CBD53E.jpeg

Whatever you buy will be your greatest purchase, as long as your dogs are with you!!

We bought an 80 series to haul our 4 dogs around. Including the 2 rear sliding windows in the back and 2nd row doors there is an open window for each head. I do like the tailgate set up for getting them in and out. Where we live it is great to have the extra 80 for the winter too. I found one locally cheapish and it is almost all we use to haul the dogs with. It allows us to preserve the interior of the other vehicles we own. We refer to it as the dog car.

Update: The search continues, but after test driving an LX470*, I think I’ve narrowed the field to an FJ100. For the moment, I think I’m content to keep an eye out locally (CT & MA). I’m still nervous about searching nationally for a beater.

*I would have bought the LX but someone put a down payment on it the day before I test drove it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom