Best place to get OEM Rims? TPMS question. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CharlieS

GOLD Star
Threads
I'm looking to switch out the rims on my 200 for something different. I've never cared for the rims they delivered on the '13

I really like the Tundra/Sequoia TRD Pro BBS rims, but they seem to run close to $2500 with center caps. I'm not sure I like them THAT much. :)

Screen Shot 2019-10-08 at 8.25.04 AM.png

My second choice are the black version of the earlier Tundra TRD rims. These seem to start around $1300, but I've found some sellers are just taking the bare aluminum faced ones and powder coating them, adding the TRD center caps and implying that they are the OEM TRD rims. It turns a set of $600-800 rims into a $1300 set. Smart business, but for the money, I'd prefer originals.

Screen Shot 2019-10-08 at 8.26.18 AM.png

Are there any places for great deals on either of these rims?

Small question to keep this vaguely tech related - is there any way to defeat, disable or code out TPMS to run with regular valve stems?

Ebay has 20" knockoffs of the TRD pro BBS rims for about $900.00. They look just like them. Could spend $100 on a set of TRD center caps. I actually think that the LC looks much better proportionally on 20s with a bit larger tires than stock. Granted I am not running into rocks and things like some of these dudes.

No help on the TPMS.

You can pick up a set of the 2019 Tundra TRD Pro rims and tires on Craigslist or Facebook marketplace. Lowest I've seen was $1400 for a set with tires.

Ebay has 20" knockoffs of the TRD pro BBS rims for about $900.00. They look just like them. Could spend $100 on a set of TRD center caps. I actually think that the LC looks much better proportionally on 20s with a bit larger tires than stock. Granted I am not running into rocks and things like some of these dudes.

No help on the TPMS.

Not sure if i want cheap knock-offs for my 6000 lbs SUV...and especially if i am going to put off-road tires on them and take them off-road. Many of the knock-offs may not be able to handle the LC weight and abuse of off-road.

Personally, if i am going to buy rims for LC, then i buy from a legit place and a legit rim designed for LC weight. A rim that goes bad is disasterous.

Not sure if i want cheap knock-offs for my 6000 lbs SUV...and especially if i am going to put off-road tires on them and take them off-road. Many of the knock-offs may not be able to handle the LC weight and abuse of off-road.

Personally, if i am going to buy rims for LC, then i buy from a legit place and a legit rim designed for LC weight. A rim that goes bad is disasterous.

I did not know you were looking for rims, so I was not replying to you. I was replying to the OP and answering part of his question.

But thank you for letting me know what you were going to do if you were going to buy rims and letting me know that many of the knockoffs may not be able to handle the LC weight and abuse of off-road. Also, thank you for letting me know about the dangers of a rim that goes bad. Even though your post did not in any way address any of the information that the OP was looking for, I am sure it made you feel superior in posting it. That is really helpful information that probably no one would have ever thought of had you not mentioned it. I hope you feel very good about yourself for sharing it. It really will make a difference going forward.

Another important safety reminder is for people to wear seatbelts. It can make a difference if you get in an accident.

I also noted that I do not go running into rocks and things, which most people would take to note I was implying to mean I do not go offroad. FWIW, I have OEM 20" rims on my truck.

I did not know you were looking for rims, so I was not replying to you. I was replying to the OP and answering part of his question.

But thank you for letting me know what you were going to do if you were going to buy rims and letting me know that many of the knockoffs may not be able to handle the LC weight and abuse of off-road. Also, thank you for letting me know about the dangers of a rim that goes bad. Even though your post did not in any way address any of the information that the OP was looking for, I am sure it made you feel superior in posting it. That is really helpful information that probably no one would have ever thought of had you not mentioned it. I hope you feel very good about yourself for sharing it. It really will make a difference going forward.

Another important safety reminder is for people to wear seatbelts. It can make a difference if you get in an accident.

I also noted that I do not go running into rocks and things, which most people would take to note I was implying to mean I do not go offroad. FWIW, I have OEM 20" rims on my truck.

That time of month again?

BTW, your tantrum aside, that does not change the fact that your advice may not be sound.

Last edited:
That time of month again?

BTW, your tantrum aside, that does not change the fact that your advice may not be sound.

I didn't give him advice. I just noted that they offer the rims on eBay. And yes, its that time of the month!

Ooh, that went sideways kinda fast...

Thanks for the ideas, all. If any of you can share links, I'd be grateful. Also, how can I find the facebook marketplace you mention (I'm not very facebook savy)?

I'm sure the aftermarket rims are great, but it is a personal confidence issue. I'd prefer to stick with OEM, for better or worse. I do go offroad, although it is less than 15% of the time. I'd rather stick with my current rims than try an aftermarket set - they're functional, even if they aren't the greatest look.

The other day, I missed a set of the BBS TRD Pro for under $1700 with tires and center caps, on a nearby craigslist... They had sold just before I replied. Ugh. Timing is everything.

You can pick up a set of the 2019 Tundra TRD Pro rims and tires on Craigslist or Facebook marketplace. Lowest I've seen was $1400 for a set with tires.
This is the deal I'm looking for!! I don't need tires, my low mileage KO2s are going on there as soon as I get them.

Did you try the tundra forums? Figure there's enough tundra owners that throw 20s or bigger just for looks and not wheeling

I didn't think of that. I'll start looking there now. Thanks!

You can put a keyword trigger on Craigslist and get an e-mail when new items with your search parameters pop up. Picked up a set of Rock Warriors for $700 a couple weeks ago (that I passed on to the member who bought my 2011). Haven't seen any good deals on the TRD BBS wheels yet.

And yes, the Tundra forums will have a lot of the standard wheels. As far as powder coating, check out Les Schwab if you have one close to your location. Pricing is much better than most other shops.

Thanks, I just put an alert on some search terms, and a request on the Tundra forums. Let's see what it turns up!

As for running regular valve stems.. one option is to put your TPMS transmitters in a PVC pipe that has a valve stem and is pressurized to normal tire pressure. Then strap that to the frame somewhere.

Other than that no way I know of it code it out. Since it is federally mandated now I doubt this is an easy route.

I didn't know that was a legal thing. Thanks for the heads up!

Not sure where you’re located. I’m in Idaho. I use KSL a lot. Kinda like a Craigslist but mostly for Utah, Idaho, Wyoming and Montana. I picked up a set of as new TRD Pros for $700. Deals are out there. So if you’re out here in the mountain west definitely check KSL.

I am looking for the metal things that the tires go on, which I call rims, but some people call wheels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom